The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax G to MFT adapter - anyone?

CPWarner

One thing I found with my large ring adapter from Lensworkshop was that over time it got smoother to focus. I really prefer the large ring to focus over the small dials. It feels more natural.

D

dbloewen

Received my Metabones Contax MFT adapter last week. It was a mater of out of the box onto my 45 f2, locked and onto the GF1..that fast! I was expecting some fiddling as described on other posts, so I double checked to make sure it was secure and it was. Focusing is smooth...I'm impressed!
I had returned the Monza adapter not because of any problems as it is a very well made unit, but because I found it awkward to focus with my large hands, especially in the vertical position and I still prefer AF and OIS. I will likely sell this set up and go for the PanaLieca 45 f2.8 in the end.
Dave

BillN

received my metabones quite pleased as I can use my 45mm f2
came quickly and a good guy to deal with

comments

1). easy to fit with good instructions - a couple of mins max

2). Focus ring is fine - focuses OK

3). The lens focuses, (i.e. does not focus), beyond infinity - (is it me?)

4). I cannot use my G1 on my tripod/Arca Swiss head and it fouls the attachment plate - i.e. it touches the attachment plate and when I tighten it up it locks the adapter in place so that I cannot turn the focus ring

It's a big lump of metal

Thanks

T

treyvollmer

received my metabones quite pleased as I can use my 45mm f2
came quickly and a good guy to deal with

comments

1). easy to fit with good instructions - a couple of mins max

2). Focus ring is fine - focuses OK

3). The lens focuses, (i.e. does not focus), beyond infinity - (is it me?)

4). I cannot use my G1 on my tripod/Arca Swiss head and it fouls the attachment plate - i.e. it touches the attachment plate and when I tighten it up it locks the adapter in place so that I cannot turn the focus ring

It's a big lump of metal

Thanks
That's a very interesting comment about the tripod situation. I can't imagine buying the Metabones adapter without being able to use it on a tripod. Has anybody else had this problem?

Trey

Jonas

That's a very interesting comment about the tripod situation. I can't imagine buying the Metabones adapter without being able to use it on a tripod. Has anybody else had this problem?
No, but it was close. You can see an image of the Metabone adapter on a G1 and a third party Manfrotto quick release plate earlier in this thread, here.

T

treyvollmer

No, but it was close. You can see an image of the Metabone adapter on a G1 and a third party Manfrotto quick release plate earlier in this thread, here.
Wow! Close call there. I'm shooting with a GH1 - I assume it will work just as well???

Jonas

Wow! Close call there. I'm shooting with a GH1 - I assume it will work just as well???
I guess it is safe to assume these cameras have the distance measured from the optical axis to the camera bottom plate.

But, there are many different quick release plates. Check with the system you use if there isn't a plate not protruding outside the camera bottom.

(The Manfrotto type plate in my image is the one I used with my earlier camera. It is turned the way it is to make it possible to open the battery door. This far I haven't run into any problems having it turned those 90 degrees so I just have it that way.)

regards,

/Jonas

T

treyvollmer

Does anybody think having both the 35 and 45mm (contax g) is overkill?

Trey

apicius9

Trey
I did and sold the 35mm. Owning also a 50mm Planar and a Summicron, I sometimes think I should have kept the 35mm instead but I love that lens, I think it is the sharpest one I have.

Stefan

seakayaker

Trey
If you have both already and use them i do not think it is overkill.

I have the Contax G 45/2 & 90/2.8 and have no plans to add the 35 . . . . .

. . . . . I do however have a Zeiss Distagon T* 35mm f2.8 and Leitz GmbH Wetzlar ~ Summaron 3.5cm f3.5 . . . . .

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

scho

If I'm just doing walk around shooting the 35 or 28 are my preferred focal lengths. The 45, although very sharp, is a bit too long for most of my shooting needs so it (and the 90) often stay in the bag at home. Your needs/prefs may differ and you should think about what focal lengths best suit your situation.

sim

Hello Monza,

I have sent you an Email and a PM, Could you please contact me?

Thank you

Gilles
(sim.m)

T

treyvollmer

Thanks for the feedback on the 35 and the 45 everybody. I own both, but have not used either at this point as I'm have not decided on which adapter to buy. I'd say the metabones is the leader at this point based off reading this entire thread.

p.s. All my work will be video on the GH1 and little to no stills;)

Trey

Jonas

(...) I'd say the metabones is the leader at this point based off reading this entire thread.

p.s. All my work will be video on the GH1 and little to no stills;)

Trey
I don't see how you can make a video with an adapter not having a "focusing ring". With a GH1 the Metabone should be the better option; the Kipon focusing ring is close to the camera body and the flash house protrudes and can be a hinder.
But... check out Trey's question above and make sure you get some clearance between the adapter and your tripod.

OK, I know, I have too much time on hand, you are probably aware of all this.

turbines

I have Robert's adapter coming along with a Biogon 28mm. Are there there any clear instructions on cutting off the baffle extension so I can use on my GF-1. Dremel cutoff wheel and mill file maybe?

monza

That should work, I'd also set up a vacuum to get all the dust and bits...and very carefully cover the rear element!

gmoe

I don't have pictures but here's how I did it with the Metabones adapter. 5mm from the tip of the leg was good clearance with the Metabones adapter. I think it should be the same clearance even using other adapters as well.

You can check the instructions of how I cut mine here:

http://www.componentgeek.com/archives/1301