The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sentinel Dome Pano, HDR -- big image alert

greypilgrim

Fantastic job, Doug!

I've had people in some of my panos. It's no problem as long as they are fully within one frame.

Lisa
Lisa,
Thanks. I have to admit, the people were an afterthought, but they really make the picture. I ended up cropping to emphasize them.

Doug

>I wish I knew how to automate things better in lightroom, but either way, having the plugin and Photoshop work directly with lightroom really helps.

Doug

Doug, you can simplify the process using Raw Photo Processor, this app will extract as much shadow and highlite detail in one step as you are getting with the 3 versions +1,0,-1 in LR plus Pmatix, and you´ll get sharper results to boot, give it a try, if you love high quality images you´ll become addicted to it

Cheers

Jose

greypilgrim

>I wish I knew how to automate things better in lightroom, but either way, having the plugin and Photoshop work directly with lightroom really helps.

Doug

Doug, you can simplify the process using Raw Photo Processor, this app will extract as much shadow and highlite detail in one step as you are getting with the 3 versions +1,0,-1 in LR plus Pmatix, and you´ll get sharper results to boot, give it a try, if you love high quality images you´ll become addicted to it

Cheers

Jose
Sure, go ahead and try to get me to spend more time with yet another software package :rolleyes: :)

Actually, Lightroom does fine processing these on its own. They are actually flat contrast, so there is lots of leeway with them. I didn't need to recover highs or blacks.

The reason for using Photomatix wasn't to do that. The attempt was to get the somewhat "painterly" effect from an HDR without overdoing that.

So, I was using a technique I had read about, taking an individual raw shot and turning it into an HDR by having three copies exposed differently in software (as described above) and then combined by Photomatix as an HDR.

For comparison, here is a link to the same files, processed a bit in Lightroom (no clipping issues as mentioned) and converted into a pano:

http://web.me.com/greypilgrim/Photos/Yosemite-10-17-09-70-Edit.jpg

While certainly acceptable (I should drop the exposure on the sky a bit I think), I don't find anything particularly unusual about it.

So, unless RPP does HDR, it wouldn't save me any steps here.

Thanks,

Doug