The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Lumix/Leica 45 macro

markwon

A casual snap of my son while playing in the snow a couple of days ago. Though many seem critical of the pl45, I'm really beginning to warm up to this lens. Relatively compact, lightweight, and very subtle and delicate rendering. A nice combo with the GF-1

biglouis

Mark, nice portrait. We sometimes forget what a great all round lens the 45/2.8 is. Can't wait to try it out on my new GH-2

LouisB

Godfrey

Great shot, Mark!

I've never understood why people dis this lens. Is it just the stupid opinion published by DPR or what?

The Macro-Elmarit 45mm is a great performer and is one of the few lenses on my "must have" list if I decide to get another mFT body.

markwon

Louis and Godrey, thank you for your comments!

What I've discovered is that those who bash it (mainly for price/lack of extreme bokeh) have only tested the lens for a short time, while anyone who has used the lens for an extended period seems to love it!

While I am not much of a macro shooter, when I need a med-telephoto I enjoy the lens simply for its ergonomics, sharp and yet subtle drawing, and AF (currently the only m4/3 at this FL with it). The AF btw, is not slow at all when used for non-macro work, even on a GF-1.

Glad to see that you are all enjoying it as well!

Rich M

The AF btw, is not slow at all when used for non-macro work, even on a GF-1.
Mark -

I find that auto-focusing for macro work can also be actually precise when using the GF1 and GH2 (and maybe others), by selecting a single focusing point and reducing it to the smallest size.

In the GH2, I mapped a Custom Fn button to Focus Area Set....makes it very easy to change the focus area size. Once you're there in AF, you can even go one step further and lightly touch the focus ring to zoom in and make those final corrections (if necessary).

R

markwon

Mark -

I find that auto-focusing for macro work can also be actually precise when using the GF1 and GH2 (and maybe others), by selecting a single focusing point and reducing it to the smallest size.

In the GH2, I mapped a Custom Fn button to Focus Area Set....makes it very easy to change the focus area size. Once you're there in AF, you can even go one step further and lightly touch the focus ring to zoom in and make those final corrections (if necessary).

R
Thanks for the tip Rich. I need to figure out a quick way to access the control on the GF1.

A couple more from a short walk around the back.

GF-1 + 45mm elmarit macro

ustein

Contributing Editor
In the 70th we had Nikon F2s and the 85mm and 105mm lenses were out favorite lenses. The 45mm reminds me of and even allows to get closer if needed.

mark1000

Can anyone with a GH2 and 45mm macro lens comment on AF speed please, i just saw a AF speed demo on YT with an OLY EPL1 and 45mm macro and it was really slow to focus, i'm interested in the lens for my GH2 to shoot insects, but if the AF isn't fast enough its a non starter for me.

Thanks,

Mark.