The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

the new 9-18

pellicle

Folks

has anyone notice how small the new 9-18 looks on the promo images relased by Oly?

it looks similar in size to the Oly 14-45 kit ... which is shorter but stubbier than the Panasonic

Looking at the existing 4/3 lens without the adaptor:

it might be possible that a redesign could make it more compact, which would make it more usable than it is now!

I personally don't like the AF on the existing 4/3, but even if they don't improve that aspect heck I'd be much happier with the improvement in size.

Diane B

Folks

has anyone notice how small the new 9-18 looks on the promo images relased by Oly?

it looks similar in size to the Oly 14-45 kit ... which is shorter but stubbier than the Panasonic

Looking at the existing 4/3 lens without the adaptor:

it might be possible that a redesign could make it more compact, which would make it more usable than it is now!

I personally don't like the AF on the existing 4/3, but even if they don't improve that aspect heck I'd be much happier with the improvement in size.
I have the 4/3rds 9-18 and agree about the AF--esp. after using other lenses, but I don't think I'll replace it. If I would--it would be with the 7-14 I imagine, but since I'm not so much a wide OR tele shooter, I expect I'll stick with the 4/3rds 9-18 I have. When I carry it, its one of several so I end up with my Domke bag anyhow--and it won't much matter whether its smaller for me. For those that will shoot with it more--it certainly could.

pellicle

Hi Di

When I carry it, its one of several so I end up with my Domke bag anyhow--and it won't much matter whether its smaller for me. For those that will shoot with it more--it certainly could.
yes, feel a little that way, but after lugging my 10D with 12-24 on it around India recently I'm all for the more compact stuff. Depending on the price I'll wear the loss and trade

:)

Diane B

Hi Di

yes, feel a little that way, but after lugging my 10D with 12-24 on it around India recently I'm all for the more compact stuff. Depending on the price I'll wear the loss and trade

:)
LOL--I understand. I have a 5D and a 10D I had converted to IR and have the 12-24 and up until last Winter lugged it everywhere. I'm with you on more compact--but find, even when I carry the WAZ, I shoot less with it than I expect. I may change my mind about selling off the 4/3rds 9-18 (still have to keep my adaptor for my 40 f/1.8) and buying the 7-14 or Oly 9-18, but at this point, my money goes toward the 45 I'm guessing.

pellicle

I think You are righ Terry. On larger picture of new all Oly m43 lenses on left part of 9-18 is visible something that looks like locking mechanism of 14-42.
Oh Noooooo
:eek:

well it that's the case it might preclude using a filter .... what are Oly thinking? Shooting themselves in the foot?:wtf:

DjordjeJ

Oh Noooooo
:eek:

well it that's the case it might preclude using a filter .... what are Oly thinking? Shooting themselves in the foot?:wtf:
I use filter on 14-42. I assume it would be possible on 9-18 too. Although CPL are not so good on UWA.

ggibson

Looks like a cool lens if it's that small. Hopefully the price is lower than the 7-14mm, and it would be worth giving up the extra 2mm on the wide end.

V

Vivek

Pellicle, The Oly-D 17/2.8 plus the Ricoh GW-1 0.75X combo I use is more compact, lighter and performs very well.

The 14-42 Oly-D zoom is (IMO) optically better than the Pana zoom. But this compactness craze had driven Olympus to make it unwieldy which makes it feel cheap. Plus, they also appear think that a lens hood is not necessary.

V

Vivek

Lupo, The link you give shows that dp revs recorded the Pana zoom doing better than the G1 sensor from 14mm to ~25mm. How would that make it a better lens?

(May be they will change the charts/numbers like they did with the 20/1.7?:D They are full of BS.)

sangio

Here is the bigger picture:
http://a.img-dpreview.com/news/0911/olympus/lens/lenses.jpg

Also, it is visible, that it uses 52mm filter.

Ironically, I received my Oly 9-18 with adaptor on the same day the Oly m4/3 version was announced. The main reason I purchased it was for the ability to use filters. I have another week to return it for a full refund and wait for the new version to become available; which could be another 6 - 7 months. I keep waffling on this, so I'll probably keep it and wait to see how good the new version is optically. The collapsible design does make me a bit wary; but it sure looks nice and compact.....

Decisions, decisions......

regards
Santo

pellicle

Hi

I received my Oly 9-18 with adaptor on the same day the Oly m4/3 version was announced. The main reason I purchased it was for the ability to use filters. I have another week to return it for a full refund and wait for the new version to become available;
well let us know what you think of it ... like its AF and such ... what are you using it on?

personally I think the bokeh of the 9-18 is poor

compared to say that of a 21mm on full frame

which could be another 6 - 7 months. I keep waffling on this, so I'll probably keep it and wait to see how good the new version is optically. The collapsible design does make me a bit wary; but it sure looks nice and compact.....
me too ... althought the filter mount seems to be there ... have to wait n see

sangio

Hi

well let us know what you think of it ... like its AF and such ... what are you using it on?

personally I think the bokeh of the 9-18 is poor

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/1/8/5/4/p1110248_small.jpg
compared to say that of a 21mm on full frame

me too ... althought the filter mount seems to be there ... have to wait n see

Hi:

I'm using this lens with my G1. I've only had it for a few days, so my impressions are still very preliminary.

Balance is ok on the G1, a bit large but not as heavy as it looks.

Image quality looks to be very good. The only issue I have so far is that it flares quite readily if there's a bright area in the scene, but that seems to be common for this type of lens.

AF speed is ok in normal light. It's actually a bit faster than my friends D90 and kit zoom in live view mode, but not as fast as either of the Pana kit zooms. I does squeak a lot when focussing though.

It works well with a polarizer, but you really have to watch the skies. I generally avoid a polarizer altogether if there's a lot of sky in the scene.

Bokeh? what bokeh? This lens doesn't have any....

I've been looking at the 7-14 mm image thread with great interest. Thankfully, my panoramic head has enough adjustment room to accommodate this lens, so I can stitch two or three images together if I want a wider FOV. That should keep me from buying the 7-14, for now.

cheers
Santo

The attached is an OOC jpeg resized for posting. No other PP

Bill Gordon

Hi:

I'm using this lens with my G1. I've only had it for a few days, so my impressions are still very preliminary.

Balance is ok on the G1, a bit large but not as heavy as it looks.

Image quality looks to be very good. The only issue I have so far is that it flares quite readily if there's a bright area in the scene, but that seems to be common for this type of lens.

AF speed is ok in normal light. It's actually a bit faster than my friends D90 and kit zoom in live view mode, but not as fast as either of the Pana kit zooms. I does squeak a lot when focussing though.

It works well with a polarizer, but you really have to watch the skies. I generally avoid a polarizer altogether if there's a lot of sky in the scene.

Bokeh? what bokeh? This lens doesn't have any....

I've been looking at the 7-14 mm image thread with great interest. Thankfully, my panoramic head has enough adjustment room to accommodate this lens, so I can stitch two or three images together if I want a wider FOV. That should keep me from buying the 7-14, for now.

cheers
Santo

The attached is an OOC jpeg resized for posting. No other PP
Well there sure as hell is nothing wrong with that lens!! Great shot...wish it was mine!!