The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

True definition of pounding surf

greypilgrim

Ok, I just had to share a couple from today. I have over 400 to go through :angel:...

Was headed to Pinnacles, but when we saw that there was a high surf advisory, we changed our plans and went to Point Lobos. I have never seen surf like this, and yes, the spray in the first one really was that high :-o. The first is unedited. The second is lightly edited, but pretty much what we saw. An the third, I love the alien circles.

Enjoy,

Doug

greypilgrim

Okay,
Had to share one more. The absolute first shot of the day. There are way too many to pick from :).

The cliff in this shot is easily 30-40 feet high.

Doug

greypilgrim

Hi

sure ... I'm Australian, so this is normal looking stuff for us :)

nice images BTW
Lucky you!

The thing that was the most amazing for me was seeing this during non-stormy weather. Just a combination of high tide, a bit of wind, and whatever occurred off in the ocean weather wise to drive the water to shore.

Doug

pellicle

Lucky you!
well ... not when you try to go fishin on the rocks :)

sorry about the dodgy shot, but this is sorta typical of the "pacific" coast around where I live ... 20 meters in the air ... you don't want to get washed up on the rocks ;-)

I'm in Finland now, but its a good reminder to water proof my camera and head out to some areas in "big seas"

:)

greypilgrim

Great stuff Pilgrim. I may me be heading out to check out the heavy surf myself tomorrow. Looks like you stole the thunder from my favorite spot at Point Lobos though:cry:
Thanks,
Although like I said, I have been there lots of times and every time is different. We usually head there for low tide and the tide pools, or the cypress grove, etc, etc; I have never seen it like this before. I was going back through my shots from prior visits, and found the exact same areas with dead calm seas. What a contrast...

Hope you have fun there.

Doug