The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro setup

S

sagarmatha

I've been hesitating for a long while whether I should go for Panasonic, Nikon or Canon regarding macro possibilities.
I know that MPE-65 is on the Canon side and that Nikon has a nice ring flash in R1C1.
Since I have an FZ50 with Raynox lenses, giving me sharp macro images, and flash 360 I've finally come to the decision that a G1/G2 with 14-45 and 45-200 will be ok for me. Maybe I will buy a Lumiquest mini softbox and put it on my flash together with some homemade connection between flash and softbox. I'm not sure.
That's why it would be interesting to see Your macro setup!
Are there any good flash brackets where it's possible to tilt the flash towards the lens? Are there any third party ring flashes? Are there close-up lenses available with D=1.0 ? I'm thinking of the coming 100-300 mm and since I know of no extension tubes yet for m43 an alternative would be a weak close-up lens.
Maybe some of you find it ok regarding working distance to butterflies/dragonflies with the 45-200?

JerryMK

I have different setups. By using a FD/M43 adapter I use prime Macro lenses:
- Canon FD 50mm f3.5
- Tokina ATX 90mm f2.5
- Kiron 105mm f2.8

And this is my bellows setup using a Hasselblad Flashgun:

S

sagarmatha

Are there no drawbacks in using old FD lenses? If you stop down the lens is the EVF getting darker?
No exposure problems?

S

sagarmatha

Interesting. So you just set the lens to e.g f/11, the speed to 1/200 s and use a TTL flash?
If it's that easy I have to consider bying an adapter and find some old lenses and tubes.

pellicle

Hi

Are there no drawbacks in using old FD lenses? If you stop down the lens is the EVF getting darker?
No exposure problems?
well, there are limits to how well it can compensate ... so if you're setting up low light, have as much extension as focal length and stop down to f16 it will be getting a little grainy and jumpy to look at ...

exposure problems? none, but of course you'll not have any flash metering off the film ... nothing that can't be 'preset' with an adjustable flash and some experience with it. Compared to any TTL system which meters off a focusing screen via a mirror there is nothing I know of which meters better... From what I read there are more problems open wide than stopped down anyway ...

Drawbacks? hmmm that depends ... there is only stop down metering, so if you want to focus critically you'll need to open up to do that ... since the camera does not control the aperture the camera will not "stop down" during the taking. This is not a problem for me normally as I focus then wind the ring down to the look I want.

S

sagarmatha

But then this isn't a fast system I think, if you have to open up the lens and then stop down before taking the image. Seems like it's more for flowers or inside shooting. Or?
My primary aim is hunting for insects in the field.

V

Vivek

Lovely example, Jerry.

sagarmartha: Why not show some of your pics to illustrate what to you is a "fast" setup?

S

sagarmatha

Well you can find some in Juza forum and some in photomacrography.net
I'm using FZ50 with Raynox and flash but after seeing the landing/take off of the ladybird above I'll have to rethink about using old lenses.
My smugmug gallery isn't ready yet, I've been a bit lazy but it will probably come at the beginning of next year.

V

Vivek

I have no idea where those sites are.

Anyway, you are using a P&S camera with autofocus and are wondering if manual focus techniques are useful for macro photography. Interesting.

S

sagarmatha

www.photomacrography.net

I always focus manually while hunting for insects. What disturbed me regarding these FD lenses was the fact that you have to open up the lens in order to focus and then stop down in order to expose well. Or am I thinking wrong here?

V

Vivek

That link shows a beautiful jumping spider macro shot (stacked from X number of images). Not really a fast process.

Stopping down before a shot is really a lot faster.

Also, try a real macro lens- on bellows or tubes. You will be surprised to find that a single successful shot would do better than stacks from lenses stacked diopters.

pellicle

Hi

www.photomacrography.net
What disturbed me regarding these FD lenses was the fact that you have to open up the lens in order to focus and then stop down in order to expose well. Or am I thinking wrong here?
well its not required, but will help you nail the focus just that bit easier ... if its critical.

not as dramatic as th above image ... but focused stopped down (moving camera back and forth hand held) with FD 50 f1.8 at about f11 or so on 32mm or so of extension tube

Greg Lockrey

This is my macro set up. Canon 5D and a 6.5mm (3.8:1)De Wijs, from the Netherlands, stereo macro lens. This is a photo of African Violet Pestles to give an idea of what this is capable of.