The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro

photoSmart42

The reversed 20/1.7 is not only super sharp but one also devoid of color fringes.
Looking at the full-size photo I can actually see some color fringes for the pencil lead granules at the edge of the photos. Here's a detail of that:

Not sure if that's a result of something I did wrong, or the setup I'm using. Still, I'm very happy with the lens. Next time I'll try a lower aperture setting (f/5.6 maybe) and see if I can help the sensor better resolve the details. I realize I'll need to employ stacking to take care of the shallow dof.

Vivek - how do you calculate the approximate magnification you get with the reversed lens. Based on measuring the 'L' in the lens cap photo, and comparing it to the size of the sensor, I'm getting a 1:1 magnification (the size of the 'L' takes up about 5mm on the sensor, and it's about 4.8mm in reality).

V

Vivek

PS42 (do you have another name we can use?),

Take a shot of a ruler (mm divisions) making sure the ruler is aligned perfectly parallel to the sensor plane.
Only the clearly focused area would count for magnification calculations!

I would keep the lens (front and rear) squeaky clean. This is very important.
A hood (rear lens cap with a hole) also helps.

Last edited:
K

klythawk

Hi.

Found the bug dead on my work bench, not sure why it's covered in dirt, although i work in a engineering factory on a grinding machine, perhaps it's a mix of grinding dust and mist from coolant spray. It is approx 8mm long.

GF1/14-45 reversed.

John

Last edited:

mreddington

These are incredible images. I have no experience in macro photography but would be very interested in taking some tentative steps in that direction (in other words not having to invest too much at the beginning). Could you give details of the reverse adapter that some of you have mentioned? From a brief search on the web it seems there are several for Nikon mount, so presumably you are using them with a Nikon/m43 adapter?

I am also unsure of the size. The thread of the 20mm/1.7 is 46mm, not 52mm (which is the filter diameter of the 14-45) so is it necessary to use a 46/52 mm adapter?

I'd be grateful for any hints as to how to get going.

Martin

K

klythawk

These are incredible images. I have no experience in macro photography but would be very interested in taking some tentative steps in that direction (in other words not having to invest too much at the beginning). Could you give details of the reverse adapter that some of you have mentioned? From a brief search on the web it seems there are several for Nikon mount, so presumably you are using them with a Nikon/m43 adapter?

I am also unsure of the size. The thread of the 20mm/1.7 is 46mm, not 52mm (which is the filter diameter of the 14-45) so is it necessary to use a 46/52 mm adapter?

I'd be grateful for any hints as to how to get going.

Martin
Hi Martin.

I'm a novice at this as well but i'll help best i can. The reversing adapter you need is this one
and also a step up ring from 46mm-52mm, like this

Fit the step up ring to the front of the 20mm, fit the reversing adapter to the step up ring and then reverse the lens. Also have a look at post #43 in this. thread. One final thing, you will need to set SHOOT W/O LENS to ON in the G1/GF1 Custom Menu, page 5.

They work fine for me. Good luck, enjoy macro on the cheap. :D

vincechu

wow! some really nice photos here, I love how they're really creative and different to most other aspects of photography.

My favourites so far are Ron's Steel Dust Caught by a Magnet and Viveks UV insect photo =)

K

klythawk

Hi.

Had a go with the 45-200 reversed.

Sorry, unknown Orchid.

G1/45-200. f20, iso100

John.

ggibson

Thanks for the help--I also ordered the reverse adapter and step-up ring. I'll post some pictures when it arrives!

I also picked up an adapter for my old M42 Pentax lenses, which came with a macro extender.

Pentax 28mm at f3.5:

Pentax 55mm at f1.8:

ggibson

I got the reverse adapter this weekend. Tried out the 20mm on it--the results are great! Amazing magnification, but having to flip the lens to adjust aperture is annoying. Definitely worth it for $10 though!

photoSmart42

... having to flip the lens to adjust aperture is annoying.
You only have to do that once before you reverse your lens. Figure out what aperture you want to use based on a specific dof you're looking to work with, set that aperture, and leave it. More than likely you'll need additional light for these magnifications anyway, so working with small apertures shouldn't present an issue from that perspective.

I used mine at f/10 for the few shots I've taken, and the dof was good enough to capture the size of subject I was looking to get. Theoretically it seems the best aperture to use for the GH1 sensor is f/5.6, but for macro work that may be too shallow of a dof - you can get around that by stacking your images.

ggibson

That's pretty much what I did--set it to f6.3 (I think) and just went out and took some shots. I probably could have dialed it down further to get a wider DOF. The shot above is from 2 captures.

K

klythawk

Paper clips.

G1/45-200 reversed. Not cropped.

John

Last edited:

photoSmart42

For anyone who's interested, here are some sample magnification factors with different lens combinations. Haven't put on the 14-140 reversed yet, but I will soon. The observed magnifications match perfectly with what I expected to get from the 90mm lens, so I'm fairly confident they're correct.

Lens combination
Tokina FD 90mm/2.5 ===> 0.5
Tokina FD 90mm/2.5 + Leitz Macrotar VIIa ===> 0.7
Tokina FD 90mm/2.5 + 2x Extender ===> 1.0
Tokina FD 90mm/2.5 + 2x Extender + Leitz Macrotar VIIa ===> 1.2
Tokina FD 90mm/2.5 + Panasonic 20mm/1.7 reversed ===> 4.3
Tokina FD 90mm/2.5 + 2x Extender + Panasonic 20mm/1.7 reversed ===> 5.2
Panasonic 20mm/1.7 reversed ===> 1.5
Panasonic 14-45mm reversed @ 14mm ===> 2.4
Panasonic 14-45mm reversed @ 45mm ===> 1.3

Enjoy.

Last edited:
N

neekoh

Hi, new here. Wow, this thread is amazing. And intensely informative. :p Linked from another thread, I couldn't resist posting. I mean, what the heck is it with peppers. :D Coincidentally my most recent macro test shots also feature a pepper (albeit a sad brown one, not black):

(poor man's macro set)

K

klythawk

Hi

Shot of a 1931 UK half penny.

Oly E-P1/Pana 20mm reversed.

V

Vivek

Spring brings out flowers and insects (both with a Leitz Milar 50/4.5 on G1, both >1X)

Crocus, upclose.

A Spider.

V

Vivek

Thanks for your kind words, Jono! :)

The spider shot was hand held. :)

It is the Dutch (spring) light. :)