The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro

V

Vivek

photosmart, My 2 cents: Keep the area closest to the camera in focus. You can always reorient specimens like this to get the best angle, light, etc.

photoSmart42

photosmart, My 2 cents: Keep the area closest to the camera in focus. You can always reorient specimens like this to get the best angle, light, etc.
Thanks, Vivek! I was actually going for that effect. I wanted to play around with the focus plane and see how narrow it was by isolating the center of the rock to get everything else OOF. I'll keep playing around with different perspectives and with different effects as I learn to do this so I can get a feel for what looks good and what doesn't. =)

V

Vivek

Wow!!! Respect!!! what great sharp and clear shots of such a tiny object! I know from experience you can hardly (not) see them with your own eyes :) So only the spot is a great achievement.

Thanks, Jerry.

Here is a ladybug as I have never seen before. Always wondered about their eyes. Sure enough they do have compound eyes like many other bugs. I needed right lighting and the magnification to visualize it (20/1.7 reversed, f/10, ~4X).

V

Vivek

Thanks, Ron.

Indeed there is more to making a photo than a lens, camera and lights. ;)

Here is that same bug (~3X, same lens) under UV and it is the lint on it that is fluorescing.

Ron: It isn't my intention keep details out while it is also not my intention to be posting all nits either.
This is, after all, an offshoot of a workshop team. Let me just say, if something interests, that is great and I am flattered (and thankful).

Last edited:

Michiel Schierbeek

By seeing the black peppers I was curious what my setup(s) would do. So I did a shooting with 1 black peppercorn as my model :). These are the results (all pictures uncropped):

G1 Kiron 105mm f2.8 full extend

G1 Kiron 105mm f2.8 full extend + Canon 250D + Canon 500D

G1 FD Bellows full extend Canon 50mm f1.4

O yes, because my model did not had that much time :) all these were shot handheld, I was just curious about the magnification level.

Also tryed the peppergranule with the G1 FD Bellows full extend and a macro coupler with a reversed Canon 35/2 No crops!
The DOF was razor thin so most of it is out of focus.

This is a cane sugar granule of 1.7 mm

and the letter E on a 1 euro coin.

JerryMK

Hi Michiel, picked up the challege I forgot about :) Well done, and yes the razor thin DOF is the hardest challenge and I do not like stacking (yet).

Yesterday receive my Canon Macro Photo Lens 35mm f2.8. Some day soon I will use this on my Bellows (and with tubes) and post some results.

K

klythawk

My 1st macro attempt. Ball bearing race 4mm dia/1mm bore. Apologies for all the dirt inside, it looked so clean using normal eye site. :eek: GF1/14-45 reversed

The size of the bearing race can be seen dotting the i on my Lumix TZ7 case.

Thanks to all who helped me with posts and PM's :thumbup:

John.

photoSmart42

Finally got my 52mm reverse adapter, so I took some quick macro shots with my 20mm/1.7 reversed (f/10, ISO100, 1/160 shutter speed, 4:3) off my GH1. Tripod mounted + macro focusing rail. Lighting provided by desk lamp + off-camera Vivitar 285 at 1/16 power bounced off white envelope I had on my desk. Rubix cube provided raised platform for the 'specimens' =). Here's what came out:

Lens cap:

Pencil shavings:

V

Vivek

The reversed 20/1.7 is not only super sharp but one also devoid of color fringes.

Such a performance, I have only seen in very expensive (and rare) dedicated macro lenses such as the Macro Nikkors (35mm, 65mm and 120mm).

Simply fabulous!

John, You ball bearing is nice (could benefit from better lighting but that is an extremely special and difficult task), a small amount of CA is there. Not too much of a bother compared to many others.

apicius9

Aeh - Wow! Glad I ordered that reverse adapter, these 20/1.7 pics look great. I also just picked up a pair of older Macrotars/Elpros (Ithink VIa&b) that should fit the pancake lens but didn't have a chance to try them out, yet. Now all I need it more time to take pictures, much easier ordering stuff when I work on the PC anyway than finding the quite moment to go out there and play :rolleyes:

Stefan

K

klythawk

The reversed 20/1.7 is not only super sharp but one also devoid of color fringes.

Such a performance, I have only seen in very expensive (and rare) dedicated macro lenses such as the Macro Nikkors (35mm, 65mm and 120mm).

Simply fabulous!

John, You ball bearing is nice (could benefit from better lighting but that is an extremely special and difficult task), a small amount of CA is there. Not too much of a bother compared to many others.
Thanks Vivek, you're spot on with the lighting, only had a simple desk light to use. ;)
Appreciate all the help you have given me. :thumbs: