The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro

photoSmart42

First attempt at a focus stack (7 images; hand-held). Used PS4 - had an easier time aligning the images than CombineZP for some reason.

Panasonic GH1+Tokina FD 90/2.5 @f/5.6

Last edited:
V

Vivek

I posted this on the IR thread. Here is an IR macro of one of my tools.

Hacked G1, pen F macro 38/3.5, tubes, Hoya R72.

simonclivehughes

Wow Vivek, that is truly bizarre, and fabulous all at the same time.

Are you planning to document your IR hack for the G1 by chance? I imagine quite a few people here would be interested.

Cheers,

V

Vivek

Thanks, Simon. :)

About your question, let me explain.

I am undecided (detailing what I did- anywhere).:eek:

I am all for this fabulous forum and great members here.

I bought my two G1s from Mike Hatam (which is now converted) and Robert Campbell at great prices (both were mint!). Cindy Flood kindly gifted me with the AA/IR/UV cut filter from a G1. I am ever so grateful for all this kind help.:salute:

I totalled my original G1 (~680 Euros) in my first attempt. I still have the totalled one. So, I can help out anyone with specific queries. Let me just post a word of caution: Every single piece of the sensor unit has to be dismantled before the filter replacement can be done. This isn't for anyone willing to hack anything. Given that Precision Cameras do this at a very decent price (a bargain, I must say, given the amount of complexities with this particular camera), I would strongly recommend that it be done through them.

My converted one isn't an IR cam (deliberately so). I still have to mount filters (of my choice) in front of the lens.

My postings here have been a bit ambiguous at times (about Pana): I have never said this before about any camera company...I am truly appreciative of Panasonic. The NMOS sensor of theirs is simply unparalleled, IMHO.:thumbs:

Can't wait for the G2..:shocked::)

JerryMK

Panasonic G1

Canon fd200mm f4 macrolens

Kiron 105mm f2.8 with Vivitar 10+ macroadapter

Kiron 105mm f2.8 with Vivitar 10+ macroadapter

photoSmart42

Finally got my cheap microscope objectives and my M42-to-RMS adapter. The lens is only about 14 cm away from the sensor, so it's not a huge magnification (I'll get there once I get my bellows and some fiber lights), but it shows potential. This was taken handheld with lighting provided by my 60W desk lamp. Clearly not the best lens out there, but I didn't want to start off my journey into microscopy by springing for an $800 high-quality objective just yet. Next test - using an enlarger lens.

Pencil scribblings on a Post-It
Panasonic GH1 + AO 10x/0.25; 1/200s @ ISO800

[Tiny] section of a wooden bear ornament
Panasonic GH1 + AO 4x/0.1; 1/250s @ ISO250

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Dragos, Do these lenses have apertures that can be varied or fixed?

If looking for real macro lenses, go for the best- Zeiss Luminars.

Enlarger lenses also do fine for near macro (~1X) work.

photoSmart42

Dragos, Do these lenses have apertures that can be varied or fixed?

If looking for real macro lenses, go for the best- Zeiss Luminars.

Enlarger lenses also do fine for near macro (~1X) work.
Vivek, these are simple microscope objectives with fixed apertures. I only spent about $25 each, so for the time being they fit the bill for my latest experiments =).

Some day (soon I think) I'll be able to afford the better Zeiss Luminars, or the Macro Nikkors, or even some of the Nikkor microscope objectives. I also need to get some better lighting solutions in the form of some light guides with a light source if I want to go higher magnification. In time, all will be good :D.

V

Vivek

Finally, I put together a couple of dedicated m4/3rds focus mounts with quite a bit of flexibility.:)

Young Aphids on a rose bud.

G1, Zeiss Luminar 25/3.5, 1/40s, ISO400, flash/modifier.

photoSmart42

A few shots I took using the 4x microscope objective with the new Canon FL bellows I just got the other day. These are small beads on the side of a small figurine. I estimate these to be roughly 8x magnification.

Panasonic GH1 + Canon FL Bellows + AO 4x/0.17; 1/8s @ ISO200

photoSmart42

I got my first enlarger lens, so here are some initial test shots with it. I'm getting the feeling this little figurine is becoming my favorite macro test subject (lots of colors and textures). I'm about to buy an illuminator with some light guides so I can solve my lighting issue and start shooting these at lower ISO and higher shutter speeds.

Panasonic GH1 + Canon FL Bellows + Fujinon-EP 50/3.5 @ f/5.6; ISO800 @ 1/50s

Same lens reversed

Feedback always appreciated.

Last edited: