The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro

V

Vivek

Bleeding Hearts ~1X

G1, ISO100, 1/160s, S-Planar 74/4 @ f/5.6, Nikon SB-24, flash modifier.

photoSmart42

Detail of a DVD after a quick 2-sec burst in my microwave oven (don't try this at home!).

Panasonic GH1 + Canon FL bellows + AO 4x/0.17; 21-image stack in PS/CS4

photoSmart42

Figured I'd spread the wealth between this thread and the 4/3 image thread. Some more photos with my Fujinon-EP enlarger lens on my GH1. Just about exactly 1:1.

V

Vivek

John, Thanks.

Dragos, The Fujinon enlarger lenses seem sharp. I found out that I have a few that came from an APS-C printing machine. I will have to hack off the rear, add a mount and use them.

K

Kiri

Dragos, that 2nd one with the bug covered in yellow is awesome! great shot!

photoSmart42

Dragos, that 2nd one with the bug covered in yellow is awesome! great shot!
Thank you! I'm very happy with the way it came out as well. I'd been having issues capturing good bug photos all day, but this one just kinda unfolded and I saw this moment happening so I prepared for it.

photoSmart42

Dragos, The Fujinon enlarger lenses seem sharp. I found out that I have a few that came from an APS-C printing machine. I will have to hack off the rear, add a mount and use them.
Thanks, Vivek. Supposedly the Fujinon-EP lenses are supposed to be very sharp, so this one I got certainly seems to confirm that. It's certainly as capable of a macro lens as my Tokina 90/2.5. With the setup I had here I'm getting 1:1 out of a very light lens at the end of some empty tubes (a set of M42 extension tubes at the end of my FD-to-mFT adapter), which also makes it fairly compact. Not bad for $20 I think.

The only thing that was an issue was the working distance because I'm using a 50. I'm looking to get something in the 100-150mm range next if I can get something as cheap. I've heard good things about the EL-Nikkors, and I almost got my hands on an APO-Rodagon and a few Componon-S and Componon-HM enlargers a few weeks ago for cheap. I'll keep an eye out for those.

V

Vivek

Dragos, APO-Componons (badged HM or otherwise) are the ones to get when you can. ;)

I will dust up mine (40-45 range and a 60) and press them into action for a few sample shots soon.

photoSmart42

Dragos, APO-Componons (badged HM or otherwise) are the ones to get when you can. ;)

I will dust up mine (40-45 range and a 60) and press them into action for a few sample shots soon.
I'm seriously considering selling my Tokina 90/2.5 to help finance the purchase of an APO Componon-HM 90. The only use I have for the Tokina is for macro work, and for the most part I use it fully extended, either with or without the extender. Using the enlarger lens was a joy compared to the big, heavy Tokina, and the IQ is definitely comparable if not better.

In the mean time, I picked up a Fujinon-EP 135 for about $25 to go with my EP 50, so I'll take that out for a spin to see how well it does. It won't be as high of a magnification factor as the 50, but it'll give me that longer working distance.

Last edited:

JGH

Hi All.
I recieved the 35mm Olympus Macro lens today and have been playing with it non stop. I have a great deal of respect for everyone who shoots such detailed and close photography because i now know how demanding it is to try and get the DOF correct.
How anyone can shoot some of the images here i just dont know, Fantastic work (although the spider pics make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, i hate spiders..)
Im looking forward to learning a new area of photography that i had never thought about until i saw the pics on here. Thankyou to you all for opening my eyes to this amazing perspective.
I only have one pic to share as all the others were a bit blurry (its that DOF thing again) and even this one isnt great.
Its the end of a ciggy. (not mine, my wife smokes :mad:)

ISO 100 F6.3 200thsec Edited in Lightroom 2.7

Thanks J :salute:

Last edited:

photoSmart42

How anyone can shoot some of the images here i just dont know, Fantastic work (although the spider pics make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, i hate spiders..)
To be honest I'm using macro photography as a tool that will hopefully help me overcome my mortal fear of spiders as well. I took a photo of one with a 50mm lens the other day, and it was way too close for comfort (I kept imagining this spider, which was pretty large, jumping from his web and somehow eating me alive...).

Im looking forward to learning a new area of photography that i had never thought about until i saw the pics on here. Thankyou to you all for opening my eyes to this amazing perspective.
Welcome to the crazy world that is macro photography. There's SO much to learn, and so many pieces of gear to experiment with. It's in part what makes it so much fun (and frustrating at times).

I only have one pic to share as all the others were a bit blurry (its that DOF thing again) and even this one isnt great.
Its the end of a ciggy. (not mine, my wife smokes :mad:)

ISO 100 F6.3 200thsec Edited in Lightroom 2.7

Thanks J :salute:
That's a very nice photo! I love the detail, the simplicity, and the color contrast between the brown tobacco leaves, the white paper wrap, and the blue background. Outstanding!

JGH

Hi All.
Many thanks for your encouraging words Photosmart42 & Leuallen, i was experimenting again this morning and managed to get a few more shots.
Strange how when you look at something everything appears ok then when you get a close up of it you can see the imperfections and dust.!!!!!
Lots of it to....yuk..!!! So you think your house is clean? Take some macro shots of it and prepare to be horrified...I dare not show the wife she will have me hoovering for months.
Anyway some feedback on these would be appreciated and advice is always welcomed.

Thanks J

Book ISO400 F3.5 1/20th sec 35mm All edited in Lightroom 2.7

Circuit Board ISO400 F3.5 1/13th sec 35mm

Forest Mushrooms ISO800 F3.5 1/80th sec 35mm -1.3EV

Pumice Stone ISO400 F3.5 1/50th sec 35mm

JGH

Hi All, had a day off work today, here a few of todays efforts.

One MAJOR thing i learned today taking macro shots is, if possible, always wash or clean the subject. Its that dust stuff again..
This is my lucky charm that i carry with me hence all the dust and fluff.

If your wondering, its a 9mm bullet.

Thanks J :) :salute:

photoSmart42

This is my lucky charm that i carry with me hence all the dust and fluff.

If your wondering, its a 9mm bullet.

Thanks J :) :salute:
Nice! Is there a story that goes with it that you'd care to share? It's not something that actually hit you, is it?

JGH

Hi Photosmart42.
No nothing sinister or exciting behind that bullet.
Before i moved to the Czech Republic i was a member of a shooting club in North London, and this bullet is one i retreaved from the sandbank backstop.
Thought it was kinda cool as all the others were mangled beyond recognition and this one wasn't. So i kept it.

Thanks for looking, this thread doesn't get many visitors, which is a shame as there are some great pics. Im lovin this 35mm Macro lens.

Thanks J

M5-Guy

As with MOST things these days, concepts and definitions can be skewed or muddied by marketing spin, and also by benign attempts to explain things in terms others will understand.

What I personally EXPECT:

a) 1:1 means that a 5mm long grain of rice is imaged 5mm long on my sensor or film. In other words, LIFE SIZE. This doesn't matter if I'm using a Point and Shoot, or a 4 x 5" view camera. If I could make CONTACT prints from any of these cameras, the image of the 5mm grain of rice would be 5mm long.
CORRECT...... Making it simple
b) That a lens labelled as "macro" should provide at least 1:2 magnification (that is, the 5mm-long grain of rice is imaged 2.5mm long on the sensor or film). Bear in mind that this is just a long-standing marketing convention that I consider acceptable.

What I sometimes ENCOUNTER (and must interpret):

a) Marketing claims of 1:1 that are based on the "crop factor". The actual magnification is less.
Because a 1/2 life-size for FF cameras is all you need for 1:1 Life-Size on a 4/3 camera to produce a 1:1 Life-size image.
CORRECT... A Full Frame Lens set on 1:1 setting on a CROP camera will produce a higher magnification because of the CROPPED section of LIFE-SIZE Image produced by the Full Frame Lens on a CROP CAMERA..
Example....
On a 2x crop it will result in a 2x life-size image set at the lenses 1:1 setting...BECAUSE of the smaller sensor capturing only 1/2 of the image the lens is producing. The LENS is still capturing a 1:1 image for FF cameras, but the in camera crop only "Sees" 1/2 the image.. Thus... a 2:1 (or 2x life-size) image for a 2x crop camera.

A Lens MADE for a 2x crop camera at it's 1:1 setting, will produce on a Full Frame Camera an image that is 1/2 Life-size.

b) Marketing labels of "macro" that are nowhere near 1:2 (e.g. 1:4, 1:6 or even less), or that are based on other criteria such as standard print sizes.

c) In addition to MACRO, the term MICRO has also be used to describe a VARIETY of magnifications (e.g. Micro-Nikkor at 1:1). As with MACRO photography, one must similarly look beyond the label.
Reply in UNDERLINE above....

Last edited: