The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-P1 meets the Summicron

kevinparis

My other half today made me try an old 35mm Summicron on my E-P1... here are some of the results. It was an interesting experience.. I missed autofocus sometimes... I got frustrated in not being able to focus as close as I am used to but there is definately something in those lenses. A tilting LCD might have helped - but the manual focussing was pretty useable - well apart from the actual focus ring on the lens which actaully had a little lever device which always seemed t be in the wrong place for me

cheers

K

V

Vivek

Lots of noise (a fair bit of flare in the first as well). High ISO snaps?

Nice shots but I see nothing that would want me to put a 35mm Summicron in place of a c-mount Fujinon or a Computar or a Navitron.

kevinparis

Flare in first shot is probably part of my knee... ISO is 800/1250/1600 i think

Quick processing in Aperture - no noise reduction.

Unfortunately I only have access to Leica lenses so can't compare with your esoteric alternatives :)

This particular Summicron is from sometime in the early 60's - not convinced that the 2x crop factor lets it really breathe.

Maybe if I am nice to my other half I might get an afternoon with some of the Lux's

K

kevinparis

Another shot from today... this one is curious for several things

1) it was shot at f8 and the image has taken on a very odd flattened perspective - the owner of the lens says its famed for its 3 dimensionality... obviously the 2 x crop kinda screws with that

2) The starburst of the light is rather cool

3) The moving figure blurs in a very odd way... the blurs is not smooth but seems almost to be strobed.Noticed this a lot with slow shutter shots at the same time and location. My only theory is some sort of interference pattern happening due to the artificial light

K

madmaxmedia

The other weird thing is that the contrast and backlighting on the guy's face/head (in the suit) makes him look like a cardboard cut-out.

I think the moving figure is giving the shot the weird 2-D look. There's very little continuum of depth in the frame- theres the girl, the the 2 guys, and the store in the back. It kinda all looks pasted together like a collage. Interesting-

V

Vivek

The c-mount lenses will give that "3D look" and would cost less than a Suemecon's hood or a filter.;)

kevinparis

Vivek

the beauty is I get to try these out .... without the cost :)

Leica lenses are lying all around our apartment :)

K

jonoslack

1) it was shot at f8 and the image has taken on a very odd flattened perspective - the owner of the lens says its famed for its 3 dimensionality... obviously the 2 x crop kinda screws with that

3) The moving figure blurs in a very odd way... the blurs is not smooth but seems almost to be strobed.Noticed this a lot with slow shutter shots at the same time and location. My only theory is some sort of interference pattern happening due to the artificial light

K
Kevin
Whatever the esoterics of the lens . . . the one thing nobody has mentioned is what a fantastic shot it is :clap::clap::clap:

I love it!

kevinparis

Vivek

no additional costs... just the usual low maintenance... She buys her lenses I buy mine... we split the food bill :)

K

jonoslack

cheers Jono

appreciated... my next step is to completely ruin the reputation of the Noctilux :)

K
You go for it Mate.. . . . I'm deeply jealous of that Noctilux (having sold mine for a stupidly low price two years ago). If you can ruin it's reputation enough, perhaps the price will come down enough for me to be able to afford one!

On the other hand, if you keep taking pictures like that, there's no hope.

Hugs to the boss . . . I'm trying to persuade my boss to come over to Paris for a chilly weekend in January.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I like them, Kevin. The "cardboard" man looks much more interesting in #2, but the last photo is my favorite.
I'll be watching for noctilux shots...if she lets you try it.:ROTFL:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member

K
K....
That's a real winner. Great image!

(Have you ever heard of Jeh Song Baak)?