The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My 4/3rds system lost its portability?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This maybe pushing my feminine side a little too far. :D

Looks like it was shot with a M8 without filters . LOL

Terry

Guy,
Your picture is actually a printed on fabric version of a magnified view of the GF1 viewfinder.

Here is the manly exterior

Last edited:

mark1958

So does anybody know if you could fit
GF1 body with attached 14-45
45-200mm
7-14mm
20mm 1.7
Metz 36 AF

in a Domke 5xB

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
45-200mm
7-14mm
20mm 1.7
Metz 36 AF

in a Domke 5xB
I don't know about a Domke 5xB but I'm pretty sure that it would fit in a Billingham Small Hadley if you don't mind the 20/1.7 and flash being in the outside pockets ... allegedly :D

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Graham.. Nice bag.. but really pricey
You've got me there ... that Domke's very affordable isn't it.

My Billingham is free to me as I found it hiding out in the home for abandoned camera bags in my closet. Not the cheapest bags to buy new in the US, that's true.

Diane B

45-200mm
7-14mm
20mm 1.7
Metz 36 AF

in a Domke 5xB
I tried something similar for you--used the Oly 9-18 which is similar in size. Its very very tight with just the lenses and I don't think I could get a flash in also. It wouldn't be how I would want to work from a bag. I like the 5xb best with body and 2 lenses best. The front pocket is very flat and works best for a smallish things. No back pocket (a slot to run a belt through instead).

Diane

mark1958

Hi diane.. Thanks for trying. The Billingham is a just a bit bigger than the 5XB. I have a lowepro Apex 110 where i can get the camera and one of the zoom lenses attached and a second zoom, with an extra battery and CF cards but already have out grown that one :)

Diane B

GrahamWelland;155487hiding out in the [B said:
home for abandoned camera bags[/B] in my closet. .
I have one of those 'homes' too :ROTFL: --I never think I have as many hiding in there until I pull them all out :wtf:. OTOH :eek:---my husband has counted (but I told him he's misrepresenting a few by adding lens cases for the big old Lowepro belt LOL).

simonclivehughes

Actually, I think you can look at this another way too. For example, I'm just preparing for a trip to Toronto for an 85th birthday (not mine) and have been asked to be the official photog for the occasion. We'll be there for 10 days and will visit friends etc too. I expect to have to shoot video as well as stills.

To be ready for whatever I might expect, I decided to leave the D700 system and take only the M4/3s system. I am using my Thinktank Airport Antidote and am packing the following:

GH1 with 14-140mm lens
G1 with 45-200 lens
GF1 with 20mm lens
14-45mm lens
9-18mm lens with adaptor
CV 50mm f1.5 lens with adaptor
CV 90mm f3.5 lens with adaptor
Gorillapod SLR Zoom with ballhead
Oly FL36R flash
DMW-MS1 microphone
Misc: batteries, filters, etc.
Macbook

All this fit in the bag easily and still weighs a fraction of the Nikon system. A real win-win situation!

Cheers,

Amin

I don't use the 14-140 for much besides video, but when I carry it, I consider it a small added size for the equivalent of adding a high quality video camera!

L

Linh

... and have been asked to be the official photog for the occasion

... I decided to leave the D700 system and take only the M4/3s system ...
Nice, I'm really curious as how the MFT system works out for you at the wedding. Be sure to post about it.

slosync

Since everyones discussing bags I thought I would throw my 2 cents in....:D

When my birthday rolled around this year I recieved a $30 gift credit from Olympus at their On-line store. I opted for their E-System Travel Bag - Approx 12"L x 6 1/2"W x 7"H and soft. It handles the G1 and or GF1 with lenses rather nicely... Here's a few pictures.

The bag has 2 side pockets, 2 front pockets and a large water protected inside flap pocket and a zippered pocket on outside front. The whole insides can be removed and the serpentine separator between lens and cameras can be removed or moved around as needed.

This picture (from left to right) shows the Panny 45-200mm, G1/14-45mm and the GF1/20mm... Nice fit....

Here we have (again left to right) 45-200mm, GF1/20mm + EVF and the 14-45mm (or 9-18mm or 7-14mm, or etc...) The FT -> MFT converter in a side pocket.

Showing the weather proof pockets on inside flap...

All closed up..... ready for business.

And here is the bag just hanging around for the next outing.

The downside is the big Oly lettering on the front.... BUT I'm confident a Vivek black marking pen would correct that problem quite nicely. :thumbup:

Cheers,
Don

Last edited:

simonclivehughes

Nice, I'm really curious as how the MFT system works out for you at the wedding. Be sure to post about it.
Actually, it's an 85th birthday for my father-in-law. There'll be lots of relatives, so similar perhaps! The goal will be to put together a slide show of it, or perhaps a memento book. I have no doubts that the Gx's will easily handle the chores. I'm so pleased with the output from these cameras. :grin:

Cheers,

V

Vivek

The downside is the big Oly lettering on the front.... BUT I'm confident a Vivek black marking pen would correct that problem quite nicely. :thumbup:

Cheers,
Don

Don, A carbon black spray paint (canned) works well for such jobs.:)

It is safer to get rid of that Olympus logo while using the bag for travel.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just found a Domke F5XB in my office . I can get easily the GFI with kit lens attached and the 20mm plus enough space to grow for a 7-14 in it also. Now just need the 7-14