The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My 4/3rds system lost its portability?

mark1958

Started off nice and small with the 14-45mm standard lens. Then the 7-14mm a must for wide angle. Ok still pretty portable and compact. Then add the 20mm for low light and narrow depth of field-- and then the 45-200mm for the voyeur type street shooting.

Ok last but not least external flash Metz 36 AF, which is quite a bit bigger than i expected... Geez.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
:ROTFL: I hear you!

And I just added a second body so I wouldn't have to switch lenses as often!

:ROTFL:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I completely understand and can relate to this problem.

I started with the GF-1 & 14-45 kit which was tiny. :D
Added the 45-200 - so far not too bad and an easy fit in a Billingham Small Hadley. :)
Then the 20/1.7 so I thought I'd try the DMW-BAG1 case which works well including the charger. :confused:
Now that I've added the 7-14mm it looks like another Artisan & Artist Image Smith (ACAM-1000) will now be needed to house it all. :(

Btw, the GCAM-1000 leather version of the A&A Image Smith is gorgeous. I just got this for my M9 outfit and it's lust and first sight/feel :thumbup:

GrahamWelland

Look on the bright side, it's still a LOT smaller and more portable than the 3x Pelican 1500 cases, Think Tank Airport Security roller bag and Lowepro Pro-Trekker II that fill up the back of my Land Rover when taking the Nikon gear for a ride ... :ROTFL:

slau

Started off nice and small with the 14-45mm standard lens. Then the 7-14mm a must for wide angle. Ok still pretty portable and compact. Then add the 20mm for low light and narrow depth of field-- and then the 45-200mm for the voyeur type street shooting.

Ok last but not least external flash Metz 36 AF, which is quite a bit bigger than i expected... Geez.
I have the same problem too after I got the G1 + GH1 + 14-140 + 14-45 + 20f1.7.

To make matters worse, I have bought the Leica M, Leica R, Contax C/Y & Canon EOS adapters.

You should see the ridiculous set up of my GH1 + EOS adpater + 1.4X + 500f4IS on Sidekick + RRS BH55 + Gitzto 1325 ;). Luckily I am not planning to use any flash with it. Otherwise, add an external flash + Better Beamer :).

mark1958

I am so glad i sold my manual contax and leica lenses, and more importantly the aperture cannot be set on the canon EOS lenses by the GF1 itself.. Saves me the adapters and carrying around even more lenses. I do need to find a good bag though. I guess i should search for what the M8/M9 folks use

slau

Actually my 'normal' travel light set is my GH1 with the 20f1.7 mounted. In addition, I just carry my 14-140 + CP + ND. Nice small package fits in my small pack and have lots of room for GPS + sunglasses + hat. That will cover outdoor and indoor shots of either video or stills. The more I use the 20f1.7, the more I like it.

Terry

I have a couple of different small bags that can easily handle this kit (which I find a great combo to travel with - add a gitzo traveler tripod and it is a blissfully small light kit):

GH1 or GF1 or both
20, 14-140, 7-14, one more lens probably 45 macro will occupy this spot.

I'm not one for padded bags, I just put the lenses in neoprene pouches or wraps so I tend to use things not meant for photography

Lowepro Terraclime 100

Timbuk2 build your own http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/bagbuilder#/customProductSetId=5&uid=355

My new favorite for "hands free" North Face Sport Hiker
http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/...bCat&parent_category_rn=24451&variationId=001

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
BTW.. Jack.. what bag are you using now. i clearly need a bigger one
This is the real joke -- I'm using the Domke J803, the same bag I used for my M kit! :wtf: However, one big difference is I do have a bunch of room left over for things like a water bottle and books ;)

mark1958

I think the Domke bags are great. HOwever the J803 is awful big. The Timbuk2's look interesting but would want to see in person. What about the Domke F-8

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well it is big, but then I already owned it... And remember, there is nothing that says you got to fill it up! :D

Diane B

I have 3 Domkes--the F3x is too big, too deep. The F6 worked well as a travel bag--2 bodies 5 lenses. other stuff--then I carried the Terraclime 100 for the day---maybe both bodies w/2 lenses, or 1 body several lenses. Still--even the F6 ('Little Bit Smaller'-Classic) was relatively light if I would even consider carrying the whole shebang!

The 5xb is also nice---works well for multiple bodies/lenses or 1 body, several lenses.

pellicle

Hi

remember, the weight isn't so different in only the bodies.

G1 body

OM-10 body

cameras placed on same spot, taking camera unmoved on tripod... not much in it is there?

but compared to the 10D ...

But If you want to drag along all the lenses it starts getting heavy again as after all we're only talking 400g difference between the bodies right?

:)

My attention was drawn to this when taking my FD 300 to a conference recently and picking up my backpack to leave the house with my laptop, charger, documents, G1 + kit and the 300 in it ... heft in a small bag!

Tullio

I just bought my G1 a couple of weeks ago with two lenses. Since then, I've bought a PK to m4/3 adapter, an Yashica 135mm 2.8, a Canon FD 50mm 1.4 (still need to buy the adapter)...so I'm already considering getting the EP-1 (body only) and the Pana 20mm 1.7 for portability. It never ends!!!

R

rbrissey

In the beginning there was the E-1,

and with it came the 14-54, 50-200 and FL-50.

and the bag that carried it all was small.

And then I bought the 90-250mm lens (and sold the 50-200).

On and on........I keep thinking that every bag I get is large enough to carry everything. But this saturday I will need to take three bags to cover a convention and later a college football game.

The main problem is that most of the space now is with all of the flash equipment (and batteries) that I use.

It never turns out like we think it will!

Randy

GrahamWelland

As the Borg say: 'Resistance is futile ...' :eek:
It also explains the herd of camera bags hiding in the cupboard. :ROTFL: