The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

QR plates and heads for a GF1

photoSmart42

Sorry for the ignorant question, but what's the advantage of these plates? Can't you just swivel the tripod head to any of those orientations? That's what I've been doing with my G1. Am I missing something?

RonSmith

I ordered the Kirk BL-GF1 yesterday ... and it arrived here at the office today!

Fortunately, I have my GF1 with me and tried it on for size. It fits perfectly and allows access to the battery/card door and, in theory, provides clearance for the door on the left side of the camera, although opening the door requires using a paperclip. The strap lugs are also clear.

I don't happen to have my tripod with me, so I'll try it out at home later.

Interestingly though, I found that the plate allows the camera to be placed squarely and securely on a flat surface, both horizontally and vertically. This might come in handy at times even without a tripod in use.

Overall I'd give it :thumbs:

Hi Photosmart

You are correct if you just want to shoot in portrait view. Its just about as quick to drop into the ball head notch as flip the L-plate.

But if you are shooting panoramic, you loose the nodal point when you do that. Also you have to re-level the camera once in the notch. Both of these drawbacks are avoided using an L-plate.

HTH
Paul

wjlapier

Interestingly though, I found that the plate allows the camera to be placed squarely and securely on a flat surface, both horizontally and vertically. This might come in handy at times even without a tripod in use.

Overall I'd give it :thumbs:
Cool. That was the neat thing about the L-Plate for the G9. I could put it on a table or rail and take shots not needing a tripod or clamp.