The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any L tripod brackets for G1

httivals

I see that RRS has an L bracket for the GF1, but apparently none for the G1. Anyone know of any L bracket tripod solutions for the G1?

leuallen

This is a hack created from Bogen/Manfrotto parts.

It is heavy, not the best solution but works well for mounting on a tripod.

The basis is whatever Bogen calls their universal L bracket. It has been heavily modified. I use the Bogen square plate quick release system so that is what you see at the bottom and left of the bracket (male) and on the top (female).

The left part (vertical orientation) has part of it wacked off to lessen the articulated screen interference. There is also a notch cut in so that the remote shutter release cable can be attached.

The bottom part (horizontal orientation) has the male and female releases lined up and moved over toward the left quite a bit (drilling and tapping). There was a boss on the bottom that had to be removed. The body now fits fairly closely to the left part. The amount of movement left was calculated as best I could so that the center of the lens was the same relative to the tripod whether horizontal or vertical. I forget the exact measurement. It is fairly close but not exact.

The right horizontal end of the bracket was lopped off and the screw thread for the brass screw which locks the camera stabilizer (the round rod with pin sticking up) was retaped in the bracket. This was a metric thread which luckily I had a tap for. The original shorter stabilizer pin, verical pin sticking up, was replaced with a longer one because the quick release raised the camera up making the original pin too short. This all ended up not really being necessary because the G1 does not seem to rotate even with a fairly long lens attached. The really long lenses usually have a tripod mount so they are not a problem.

It is not pretty but I needed something that worked for the tripod and macro work. It does the job and is convenient with the quick releases.

Have Dremil, will hack
Larry

Diane B

Just looking at my RRS L for my 5D, I think I see why they don't think they can make one. In order to leave open for the connections on the left side, it would have to cover the hinge for the LCD--as I see it. Too bad. I would buy an L for the G1--but to my 'non-engineer' eyes, it doesn't seem feasible--not to use with the tllt LCD which I like on the G1. Even if you flip it to leave flat against the back, you still have to use that hinge to do it.

That may be one reason I'll consider the L for the GF1. On tripod with a lens and using the LCD, it would be very good.

Diane

slau

As the camera is so small and light, and 'normally' only small lenses will be mounted on the body, the regular RRS body plat works well. I have RRS plates (L and regular) on all my camera bodies (Canon and Panasonic) and I am happily using the RRS plat on my G1/Gh1 since day one I owned the bodies.

Last edited:

httivals

A proper L bracket is important is you want to use it to stitch several images together on a tripod, rotating around the nodal point.