The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-P1 meets the Summilux 75mm

kevinparis

Another day another Leica - this time another large beast - The Summilux 75.

A trip to the local market and an hour wandering came up with these. Didn't always nail focus quite right - but was pleased to see the lens retained at least some of its character while slumming it on such a tiny sensor.

more on my flickr page

cheers

K

Terry

The boss really has been quite the glass collector.

I think I liked the Nocti set better. I find on both the E-P1 and the GF1 (w/o EVF) manual focus and framing with a long lens is a bit harder than on the G1 or GH1 at eye level. It isn't easy to hold the camera out in front get good focus with the shallow DOF wide open, and keep the framing intact. The GF1 is a bit easier because the half press takes you back to the "wide" unzoomed view.

kevinparis

Terry

Think I shot all of these just by focussing unzoomed on the LCD.... I wish they would implement just a zoomed focus patch.... and put the Function button on the top plate and the +/- button on the back

Roll on the E-P3 and a EVF built in :)

K

V

Vivek

Roll on the E-P3 and a EVF built in :)

K
Add a swivel TFT and I will dump the G1 without any hesitation. ;)

The 75mm FL is difficult to shoot with on the street. My Navitron 75/1.3 does better but still very difficult.

jonoslack

Great stuff Kevin
I really don't need to be shown pictures with that lens :eek:

I generally focus without zooming as well, I find that with practice you just get a 'feel' for what is in focus. Still, a couple of little firmware changes would make a huge difference.

But - as for the tilting lcd, I'm no longer so convinced . . I always found that it was tilting the wrong way on the E3, and I'm always changing my mind about portrait and landscape. I find the really large angle of view on the EP1 mean that you can see well enough to frame properly at really extreme angles . . and of course, it has the advantage that when you move the camera, you don't have to change the tilt and swivel.

V

Vivek

Kevin, I have posted some before. There are only a few shots with the 75/1.3 so far on the street with the Navitron- which btw I bought from someone in Paris for a princely sum of 20 Euros (came with another 75mm Navitron and a Fujinon-TV 25/1.4- all brand new:shocked: ).

Your last two shots very nice (especially the last). I like this set overall compared to the Noct set.:)

Interestingly, I find the 50/0.95 (Canon) a lot easier to use with a G1 than the 75/1.3 Navitron, though the Navitron is way sharper wide open than the 50/0.95 ever would be. Navitron is also sharper with more contrast- wide open- than the 75mm Summilux.

So, I know it is pretty damn difficult to use the 75mm FL.

cam

ooooooooooh, Vivek! i really want that Canon! more, more... think you can convince him to spring for the lens?

:D