The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Finally got a G1.....

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Well with all the images and post around here, I felt the need to get a G1 kit.

If you have any useful tips/tricks/settings, it would be greatly appreciated if you would enlighten me.
I have the new firmware installed and about 100 frames done already....
I'm doing some money shoots this weekend and this will be the lead camera with the Pen working the rear....

Soooooo....whaddya got?
Thanks in advance....
Shooter

Terry

Congrats:

Here are my tips:
Turn off the auto review. Gets you back to live view faster
Turn on the histogram if you like to use it
Turn on the blinking highlights if you like them (mine is positioned top left)
Turn on shoot without lens - form manual lenses
Turn on AF+MF

JBurnett

When working fast with manual lenses on the G1, I will sometimes do the two-button focus-assist routine (left arrow + OK) before bringing the viewfinder up to my eye. After focusing, a half-tap on the shutter release puts you back to normal view for framing.

Tullio

You'll have great fun with the G1. Look beyond the kit lenses. If you have legacy lenses, get an adapter and make good use of them. If you don't, pick a good system (Canon FD and Pentax K have a huge selection of old lenses you can get for peanuts on eBay). Tweak your camera settings to your liking. I use Standard Film mode w/ NR=-2, Sat=+1, Sharp=+1 and Cont=0. Increase the flah output to +.3 or +.6 as the default G1 flash is not that strong. Never exchange lenses w/ he camera turned on as dust may be attracted to the exposed sensor. Check the firmware. If is anything less than 1.3 you can still use 3rd party batteries. If it's 1.3, 3rd party batteries won't work but there is a version of 1.4 on the net that apparently does not have the battery check in the code. This is, of course, if using 3rd party spare battery is a must for you. If your camera is at the newer 1.4, you won't be able to use any battery but Panasonic. There's also firmware upgrades for both lenses (14-45mm and 45-20mm). You might want to consider installing them (you do not need to upgrade the body in order to upgrade the lens).

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Thanks everyone.
Some good tips. The camera is very intuitive. I'm not crazy about the form factor but to stay in m4/3 land, I think I need both forms......
I haven't used my Leica lenses on the Pen yet but this camera is almost calling out for them....
Thanks.....
shooter

V

Vivek

Forget the EVF and start using the swivel TFT screen. Angles possible only with a TLR (and more) will be available to you.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Vivek,
That my friend is it!
The main reason for the camera. The EVF I can live without but I have to get used to it.
For PR work, the tilting screen is a must have.
I wish these cameras had a PC flash sync. The safe sync will work tho'.
It's nice to have both forms.

The daze of the Canon 5D's are getting shorter.

Shooter

Tullio

Forget the EVF and start using the swivel TFT screen. Angles possible only with a TLR (and more) will be available to you.
That's very true. However, I find it much easier to MF through the EVF rather than the LCD. The G1 EVF is very bright and it makes manual focusing a breeze!

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
The advantage for me with thescreen is that I can keep both eyes open.
With the EVF, usually one eye closes automatically.
I like both eyes open, comes from my Leica daze.....
I might just crazy glue my left eye lid open.....
Don

JBurnett

I like both eyes open, comes from my Leica daze..... I might just crazy glue my left eye lid open.....
Don
It's an advantage that Leica photogs often talk about. I had an M3 for only a brief time -- about 6 months -- but found I squinted my non-viewfinder (left) eye anyway. Interestingly, I saw a photograph of HCB "in action" the other day (i.e. he was taking a photograph). In the picture, his left eye was closed.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
With an M3 & a 50, there's no reason to close your eye. The camera sees
1:1. That's a beautiful thing. The advantage to keeping both eyes open is for framing.
I can do it with G1 but it's a hard habit to break, closing the eye that is.

Don't forget Bresson was an artist more than a photographer. So he was more aquainted with 2 dimensions. With 1 eye, your looking AT your subject. With 2 eyes, your looking THRU your subject.

pellicle

With 1 eye, your looking AT your subject. With 2 eyes, your looking THRU your subject.
well only if you put both eyes on a point behind them ... I focus both mine on the subject normally

however being left handed and left eye dominant I was always frustrated by the location of the viewfinders

btw ... on flashes, consider a cheap radio slave system. They have PC connections (mine does) to wire up an old flash to the new camera ... and your cordless

:)

Peter Leyenaar

Hello Pellicle,

Interesting, I am also a left handed person , however, right eye dominant, I have used Leicas from M3 to M8 and always wondered, how left eye dominant people would get on with Leicas. I frequently shot with both eyes open, great for framing.

Best Regards

Peter