The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ISO Comparison Between GF1, GXR and GRD

barjohn

The link below shows comparisons between the three cameras with the GXR using both the S10 and A12 lenses. You can download the images including the raw files from the GXR images though they did not include the raw files from the GF1 or GRD for some reason.

I looked at these images in LR3 beta, & BibblePro 5 beta. The GF1 images are not well exposed for low light but they clean up pretty well in BibblePro 5 with Noise Ninja. The GXR images are definitely in another class. Too bad we don't have X1 images like these to compare.

http://ricohforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3497&p=14485#p14485

barjohn

I'm surprised. No comments from anyone? The other thing I noticed was the dynamic range seemed better controlled do others concur?

Terry

I saw this link somewhere else as well. I would have liked to see what the shooting info was other than just the straight ISO numbers (shutter speed and f-stop). There was one strange set where it looked like someone walked through the frame as it was being shot.

barjohn

Terry, you can download the sets that include the JPGs and DNGs and the information is in the files when you open in LR 3. For example the A12 ISO 1600 image was shot as f5.6 at 1/20th sec lens 33mm. The ISO 3200 was shot at f5.6 @ 1/35sec. The ISO 200 was shot at f5.6 @ 1/3 sec.

barjohn

For the GF1, ISO 1600 was shot at f5.6 1/15th sec using 20mm lens and ISO3200 was shot at f5.6 @ 1/30 sec and ISO 200 was shot at f 5.6 @ 0.6 sec.

Terry

And I guess that is my problem with the test is the exposures on the 33mm (50mm) aren't the same. The shooting data is similar but the results don't look like the same exposure.

barjohn

A couple of interesting observations. You would expect the shutter speed to halve for each ISO step they decreased or increased and it does on the GF1 but not on the GXR. The second curios thing is using f5.6 (I guess they were aiming for the sweet spot on the lens). While there is visible noise at both 1600 and 3200 they clean up exceptionally well in Noise Ninja and the level of detail and color depth are much greater than the GF1's.