The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

anti alias and filters

pellicle

perhaps this could have been a PM, but I thought others may be interested ...

recently on another thread Vivek mentioned some interesting tech specs on the E-410 and its AA and IR filter stack

The material used for the AA filter is most likely LiNbO3 (lithium niobiate), plus there are layers of other materials. It is a complex piece of engineering. The sensor cover glass and the dust shaker glass could be "some" glass (unlikely BK-7). So, the total refractive index of these layers may or may not match the BK-7 of a Bolex RX prism.
I know that he has also pulled apart (or tried to) a G1 and wondered if Vivek or anyone else has any knowledge about the differences between them

I'm thinking of hacking a Nikon CP990 to be my IR light meter and thought that I'd just use normal optical glass in there ...

Audii-Dudii

I think normal window glass would work if it is about the right thickness.
FWIW, when I converted my DMC-LC1, I used a combination of microscope slides to create a replacement "filter" of the correct thickness (plus/minus a few hundredths of a millimeter, which was close enough in this case). Best of all, they're cheap and readily available.

V

Vivek

Microscope slide glass is swell to work with.

I even have Sapphire plates to work with. My glass cutting is on hold for now.

One problem to consider while using these "filler" glass plates is the lack of coatings on them.

Pellicle, When I get my replacement Vernier calipers (should arrive in a few days), I will post the dimensions of the filter stack in E-410 and the G1.

The G1 stack is thinner but the width and the length are the same as that of the E-410 (or any 4/3rds).

Both are black in IR.