The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

About the 7-14mm lenses

s.agar

I have read excellent comments about the Oly version. I think that is not Micro 4/3, but the normal 4/3. Can someone clarify that for me.

In amazon.com, I have seen a Panasonic version, which is M4/3, and about 400 USD cheaper. But it seems to be a new lens and not in stock yet.

Has anyone tried this? Any comments?

Size also matters.. In this case, I'm trying to make the smallest outfit, with a GF1, 14-45, 45-200, 20/1.7 and the 7-14mm. I hope to fit all in a very small shoulder bag. Otherwise the main idea of buying the GF1 system is gone. Therefore if the Panasonic version is considerably smaller and lighter, then I think I may prefer that one.

Best regards,

Seyhun

Brian Mosley

Yes, the Panasonic (Lumix) 7-14 is by far the better option for your m4/3rds body... beautifully compact and will autofocus with all m4/3rds bodies.

Cheers

Brian

Audii-Dudii

If size matters, then you definitely want Panasonic's micro 4/3 version 7-14mm lens as the Olympus 4/3 version is quite a bit larger and also requires the use of an adapter, which adds even more bulk (and expense) on top of the difference in lens prices. And as if that wasn't enough, the Olympus 4/3 version won't autofocus on the GF1, so you would have to focus it manually.

That said, though, it's a stellar performer. :)

laptoprob

It's a fine lens. Verywide and zoom, delivering really good results. Ofcourse there is a lot of digital correction done, but that is 2nd nature in m4/3.
Have to play with it more.

kwalsh

The Panasonic 7-14 is an amazing lens and in my book is one of the lenses that just really makes the m43 system viable as a lightweight landscape shooter. It is so amazingly small and light and is a great performer. It is also hard to get a hold of, but you might check Ebay as there are often new units available from Japan for under $1000. Keep in mind that you can't use filters with the 7-14. Oly has announced a m43 version of their 9-18 coming out next year and it will use a 52mm filter if that is important to you.

Ken

wjlapier

The Panasonic 7-14 is an amazing lens and in my book is one of the lenses that just really makes the m43 system viable as a lightweight landscape shooter. It is so amazingly small and light and is a great performer. It is also hard to get a hold of, but you might check Ebay as there are often new units available from Japan for under $1000. Keep in mind that you can't use filters with the 7-14. Oly has announced a m43 version of their 9-18 coming out next year and it will use a 52mm filter if that is important to you.

Ken
Regarding filter use on the 7-14. I'm thinking maybe send the lens to SK Grimes and have them take a look at it. Maybe make something like the lens cap they made for the Nikon AF 14/2.8 lens, which has a similar petal shaped hood, but instead of a closed end make threads for a filter. Look at the cap and tell me if you think this would be doable with no vignetting.

http://www.skgrimes.com/thisweek/1-13-08-3870/index.htm

Or this:

http://www.skgrimes.com/thisweek/7-11-06/index.htm

Amin

I have the Panasonic 7-14 and have never owned the Olympus 7-14mm lens. However, based on my experience with the Panasonic lens and having seen a lot of examples from and post about the Olympus lens, here are my impressions:

Olympus Zuiko Digital 7-14 (second hand info):
- Sharp performance from corner to corner
- Low distortion
- Professional build
- Large and heavy
- Autofocuses on 4/3 and Oly Micro 4/3 but not Panasonic Micro 4/3

Overall: Pro lens with top class optics

Panasonic Lumix 7-14:
- Good sharpness, but the extreme corners are never perfect at any f-stop
- Moderate barrel distortion (similar to the Tamron 17-35/2.8-4 on full frame)
- Better than average consumer-level build
- Small and light
- Autofocuses on all Micro Four Thirds bodies and won't work on regular 4/3

Overall: Designed for small size and weight, performance isn't at the level of the Olympus lens, but still a very good performer

I'm very happy with the Lumix 7-14 on my MFT bodies (G1, GH1).

s.agar

Hi Rafael,

Thanks for the link. This is where I was very impressed with the Oly version. Unfortunately it is not M4/3 as ı have noted from other messages in this link, and bigger in size. Also not MF on the GF1.

So it makes the decision difficult. Especially after reading Amin's comments also.

Just because of the size, cost and MF, I think I will go with the Panasonic M4/3 version.

Seyhun

s.agar

Dear all (Brian, Audii-Dudii, laptoprob, Mark, kwalsh, and Amin)

Thanks for your very informative comments.

I will try to find a Panasonic version, because of size, AF issue on GF1, and cost.

Best regards,

Seyhun

Yes, the Panasonic (Lumix) 7-14 is by far the better option for your m4/3rds body... beautifully compact and will autofocus with all m4/3rds bodies.

Cheers

Brian

wjlapier

Thanks noirist and pellicle,
I ordered the Panasonic version from Amazon.

It is expensive...
Same here. Overnight shipping was only $3.99--unbelievable.

It's here and I like it so far in terms of build quality and size. Tomorrow I'll take it out for a spin. Expensive, but I think money well spent--I'm happy with it.