The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lots of new Panny firmware....wooohoooo

henningw

wow.. thanks for the update. It is incredible we have to update each lens. I mean is it ok to copy all the files into the SD file, update and then change the lens etc.? Why cant this all be in one file
No, you have to update the lenses by placing the files individually on the card. If you try to have a couple of files for various lenses on the card the camera returns the 'No valid picture to play' message.

f6cvalkyrie

Hi,

did they mention anything about the improvements on the lens firmware ?

Also, the Panasonic site mentions it is necessary to have the camera updated to the latest firmware before updating the lenses. That would mean the end of using 3th party accus if you want to update your lenses, wouldn't it ?

So, I'll upgrade the lenses only if the update brings me IMPORTANT improvement in IQ !

C U
Rafael

Brian Mosley

Funny... we campaigned for the fix in the G1 last year... The GF1 ships without it, and then gets fixed first - still waiting for the G1 fix!!!!!

This is just irritating. Close, but no cigar :(

Kind Regards

Brian

K

Kevin_b1

Just a heads up my generic battery (Sido) still works in my GF-1 after the firmware update as it does in my G1 running v1.4.

Regards

Kevin

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Updated everything just need to figure out what it does. LOL

I have yet to figure out this cam yet but don't have a load of time on it either.

R

rover

Possibly silly question, but I am a technology kindergartner so please put on your bunny puppet hand for me and help me get through this.

I have an EP-1 and Panasonic 20. Can I still update the 20 without a Panasonic body? If you could point me to a page with the how to do this I would be very appreciative (but may come back with more questions, I will of course raise my hand first and wait to be called on though :)) Thanks.

R

rover

Wow, that looks easy. I didn't realize that Panasonic and Olympus were that friendly. M43 is an open system, I guess this is one of the benefits.

So it looks like I have to open the Olympus Master software and just click things until I find the update features again.

Brian Mosley

Just mount each lens on your E-P1, connect via the USB cable to your machine running Olympus Master or Studio and update via the internet.

Make sure your battery is fully charged first though :D

Cheers

Brian

J

jerryk

Thanks Terry.

Anyone giving this update a thumbs up or thumbs down?

Diane B

I just finished mine (GF1, 20, 14-45, 45-200). I only checked 2 things---the ability to use one 'button' (rear dial) for MF assist--works like a charm. I also tried continuous AF with the 20 for video--they didn't mention that the noise of the focus was diminished, but it is greatly. The continuous AF works nicely.

I didn't check for AWB--another thing that I will check, but the biggie for me was the one button MF assist since I use MF lenses a good bit--very very nice. I do hope they can implement it for the G1 also.

Diane

R

rover

Rover,
Did you find a way to upgrade the lens with the EP1?
I have the 20 & the 14-45.
Shooter
This will be my weekend project. It seems like an easy process. I didn't realize that the "Open Standard" M43 operates in is so open. This is a good thing. The EP-1 firmware update was very easy so I am sure this one will go smoothly too.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I just tried that with a 50 Summicron mounted via the Panasonic M adapter.

In Manual, pressing the dial goes to focus assist. Turning the dial first changes the shutter speed. Aperture is changed on the lens.

In Aperture priority, turning the dial first will change exposure compensation; pressing the dial goes to focus assist.
And with an AF lens mounted, it stays as it is now so no schlogging settings back and forth :D

As for the lens updates themselves, AF seems faster and more positive at the stops, even the 20. Didn't notice much change in focus noise.

s.agar

It seems the already fine AF on 14-45 is now even better. I didn't find any difference in the 20mm AF speed or the focusing noise. I don't use the video, so no comments regarding that.