The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lots of new Panny firmware....wooohoooo

barjohn

I am curious to hear how high ISO has been improved and AWB. I am sitting in beautiful Sun Valley Idaho, able to download the files but I forgot my SD card reader and my camera cable so I can't do the upgrade. My Macbook Air doesn't have any direct SD card support. I hope I can find a store (though I doubt it) that has a USB SD card reader I can pick up. I'm really stoked that they upgraded the MF to single button. That to me is a real plus. Now if they added a focus scale to the LCD they would have MF covered. ISO results that matched the E-P1 would be great. They are definitely setting the benchmark for contrast AF (to think they made it even better, WOW!).

Diane B

I actually did it the slowest way. One by one with a card first body, and then lens, lens, lens....... and reformatted the card between each download.

My guided tour above was for someone who didn't have a card reader.

I do need to go back and change my safari settings because I have it set to auto extract.
I'm on PC, but that's how I did it--one by one, body first, then lens by lens, format in between. Took little time and worked just fine--use a card reader.

"This is a typo, isn't it: "G1"... I can't see an update for the G1 or GH1 yet."

Hi Simon

Yes, you are correct. The G1 was not given updated firmware along with all of the lens and GF1 firmware updates per this post. My G1 still had the as-purchased V1.3 firmware but the latest G1 firmware revision is V1.4. Sometime between the date I purchased my G1 and this post, there was a firmware upgrade that I was not aware of. So per the Panasonic web site instructions to "make sure the body has the latest firmware before upgrading lens firmware", I had to first update the G1 to V1.4 in order to be able to update both of my lens. Sorry to confuse.

Paul

Last edited:

slau

This time, only the GF1 body firmware is updated. Both G1 and GH1 firmware are NOT updated. This probably has nothing to do if a G2 is going to be released very soon. A G2 (and a GH2) will be released in the future for sure, and the questions is when :).

I wrote down (yes, with a pencil and paper) the name of each .bin file when I downloaded them so that I won't be confused which lens to put on the body.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I did it the same way as Terry and Diane....must be a girl thing. :ROTFL:
This is a very worthwhile upgrade and I'm so happy that Terry brought it to my attention.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I agree with you ... I don't know why they choose to change the name of the .bin from the archive which contains it.
Exactly -- even if the archive just used the non-descriptive .bin name, it would have been better.

And I downloaded them all first, got confused as to which .bin was for what and there was no list on the panny site to explain it, so I ended up trashing them all and starting over doing it one-by-one like Terry. So hopefully it isn't just a girl thing :eek:

I did it the same way as Terry and Diane....must be a girl thing. :ROTFL:
This is a very worthwhile upgrade and I'm so happy that Terry brought it to my attention.
Hi Cindy

I don't think it's a girl thing, the process is a little bit confusing the first time through plus this is the first time I have ever had to upgrade lens firmware. I did it the same way; three individual updates.

Paul

S

Steve Pope

Still can't manage to complete the firmware upgrade

4. If you have an up to date mac you will find the .bin file in a folder called downloads on the dock. move the .bin file to the the area where you see the camera files in step 3.
It's embarrassing being the only person on the forum who can't manage to execute this seemingly simple upgrade - but I'm stuck. If I attempt to move a .bin file to the camera folder, as per Terry's guide above, I'm blocked by a warning that the folder can't be modified.

S

Steve Pope

In lieu of reader...use the cable, no?

You used cable or card reader?

You musst have a card reader!
I've attempted to do it via the USB cable - not the card reader method, which I understood is not obligatory.