The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oly E-P1/E-P2 body + Panny 20/1.7 = Will IS work?

ZoranC

I am interested using 20/1.7 lens in very low light, in other words very low shutter speeds.

Consequently I would need all help I can get from camera to avoid bluriness due to shake.

So I am thinking using 20/1.7 on E-P1 or later E-P2 body that does have IS in body.

Will IS function and function correctly in this combo?

Thank you in advance!

Audii-Dudii

I've only had my E-P1 for a week now, but I can state firsthand that the two work very well together, including the E-P1's IS feature. The photo below of my parents sleeping was captured the other night using my E-P1/20mm combo handheld at 1/2-second (ISO1600 & F/1.7, as the only light was from the TV that had been left on) because I couldn't capture an image with my GF1 that was even remotely sharp enough to be useable.

Audii-Dudii

Thanks all for the kind thoughts. This image is actually more precious than you know, because my mother suffers of a rare brain disorder and has just started receiving hospice care at home because the end is nigh. She hasn't been able to speak for more than five years and my father now spends up to two hours three times a day just feeding her.

Suffice it to say, this is perhaps the most powerful image I've ever captured and its lousy IQ notwithstanding, it now stands as my personal favorite... :)

Last edited:

Diane B

Thanks all for the kind thoughts. This image is actually more precious than you know, because my mother suffers of a rare brain disorder and has just started receiving hospice care at home because the end is nigh. She hasn't been able to speak for more than five years and my father now spends up to two hours three times a day just feeding her.

Suffice it to say, this is perhaps the most powerful image I've ever captured and its lousy IQ notwithstanding, it now stands as my personal favorite... :)
What a wonderful image--even not knowing the story behind it, but knowing that--its just very very powerful--the gentle hand in hand--thanks so much for sharing a very personal image.

Diane

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
A wonderful photo!

My parents are gone for a long time - I would like to have such a picture of them!
Yeah......Miss mine for a long time already.....
That's a photo I could never make....

But I just love the way he loves his parents.....

Terry

Wow - what a photo. I wasn't going to look at this thread figuring in 8 responses someone had for sure answered the original question. I'm so glad I didn't skip it.

Good luck in the upcoming days and weeks. Thank you for sharing the photo and the story behind it.

Last edited:

Jonas

Audii-Dudii, it wasn't the IS only that worked fine in that image. To me that is an image with a lot of love and, as said, it is a really precious one. Thank you for sharing!

JMaher

Audii-Dudii

Absolutely great image even without the story. A photo you will treasure forever.

Jim

Audii-Dudii

Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts. As I pointed out to another forum contributor in a private message, sometimes it's good to be reminded that photography is -- or at least, it should be -- about more than just playing with cameras! :)

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Audii,
Ya know I got in to it at DPR a while ago by stating that family snaps are the most important images any photographer will ever make.
In the end, that's all ya have is memories, memories supported by images.
It's so easy to take those images for granted but what a mistake.
I remember when my oldest daughter died in 1989, looking thru my archive for those precious images....
and now, I realize, I never made to many...

I love street work and sell to whoever....,

....but my family archive will always be the most important images I ever make...
I think now you understand that too...
get clicking brother....your doing great...

ZoranC

This image is actually more precious than you know, because my mother suffers of a rare brain disorder and has just started receiving hospice care at home because the end is nigh. She hasn't been able to speak for more than five years and my father now spends up to two hours three times a day just feeding her.
Audii, I could not have known story behind the picture but it touched me because my mother has recently passed away. Even less I could have dreamed that they are so close as my mother has passed away after 8 years of silence from Alzheimer's with my father caring after her till the very last day.

My heart is with your family. I wish you a blessed Thanksgiving.

P

PhillipA

Just to add my vote to the importance of family photos. I took the images at my sister-in-law's 50th birthday in January and at her son's wedding in March. In April she was hit by a car and killed instantly. The images from the social events now take on a completely different meaning. The family is glad to have so many records of her life. Good thoughts to your family Audii-Dudii.