The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the 17mm f2.8

I've finally got my 17mm and I'm really loving it so far. I'm in Portugal with no access to my pc, so I can't post any results or view them on a pc monitor...so I'll have to wait a little longer to come to my final conclusions. I really love the fact that you can focus REALLY close to subjects and the fact that you can get dof from a moderate wide. I have the 20mm f1.7 coming and I was thinking about selling the 17mm (it came with the kit), but I'm having so much fun with the 17mm that now I just don't know. It's a shame both lenses have such a similar fov. It would've been cooler if the 17mm was like a 14mm or a 12mm.
Rawfa,

Let us know how you feel about the 20mm compared to the 17mm once it arrives. Personally, I prefer the 35mm FOV but everyone has their preference.

Rawfa

Rawfa,

Let us know how you feel about the 20mm compared to the 17mm once it arrives. Personally, I prefer the 35mm FOV but everyone has their preference.
With hesitation I can say I prefer the 35mm FOV (I also REALLY LOVE the fact that you can focus really close with the 17mm), but the 40mm is really faster. I will probably end up using the 17mm during the day and the 20mm at night for for particular situations where I need more dof. So far the 17mm is REALLY fun to use.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Uwe, is the second photo a reflection? It looks really nice.
Yes, Luxor Vegas.

Vegas was a good exercise. I had only the GH1 and the 17mm for stills and video. This helped me to see in a different way.

Rawfa

Uwe, I cannot see your photos. I use firefox but I've also tried with IE and Chrome and the pictures still don't show.