The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1 7-14 Creating distortion for effect

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hmmm just playing around a little in Capture One with lens corrections on a 7mm shot. First I am able to control several things . Purple fringing, CA, Corner Vignetting , Corner sharpness and Distortion. It seems the 7mm shots are already corrected coming in BUT a cool effect is actually adding distortion. Now it will crop the image but the effect seems to be more 3D looking . Just a another creative control that is kind of fun to play with. This is Jacks lens and i still want to get this lens. I find a lot of my shots are the wide end of the kit lens so I now I like a more wide shot right off the bat.

Anyway the first one is without distortion added and the second with at maximum setting

Guy Mancuso

If you notice the shoreline in the foreground is much more rounded on the distortion one. Shot at ISO 100 at F9

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Guy,

I wonder if the distortion works so well because it seems to be closer to how we view objects from a visual mental framework to construct 3D on the fly. Seems the first is way too flat and not the way one would see the scene. In certain situations that could be appealing but here I prefer the second.

I must admit I never liked Mercator projections of maps.:ROTFL:

By the way is this the Pany or the Olympus lens and is there any major difference in them with regards to distortion? I have the EP-1 and have considered the Oly 7 - 14 but assume that it is much larger than the Lumix version...I have only seen the Olympus.

Bob

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Bob sorry this is the Panny 7-14 . Well we do see in 3d but dealing with a 2d medium. The effect is interesting and I agree it is somewhat closer to what our brain does visually.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Guy,
Very interesting effect. If Weston saw that he'd be in love.
As you know, he could never find a lens to wide.
How does this work in the man made environment?

I dream you see this out your back window.
Love to see what it does with buildings, streets etc.
Don

Guy Mancuso

I wish I had the 7-14mm now to go play around with this more. This could be a blast with interiors and such.