The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

If you would like to have one more "special" manual focus lens..

V

Vivek

.. what would that be and why?

(Not that I need another lens but could not help looking at some unusual beasts. :D)

The lens could be from any make and for any format but will have to cover the m4/3rds sensor fully.

Let us just restrict the FL range from 20 to 50mm.

Jonas

Underlined, I see that, but I have to stretch it a little - because I would like to have an Coastal Optics 60mm macro. I have became fund of those CA free images.

I would of course need a bigger sensor to go with the lens. I guess that when the day come and I have saved up for the 60mm I'll also be able to find a LIVE FF camera. No, I don't exactly need anything of this, but... ;)

Ron Evers

Since I already have a Minolta adapter I would like a Minolta 58/1.2 to use with extension tubes for macros. It would double for no-flash indoor shots.

V

Vivek

Underlined, I see that, but I have to stretch it a little - because I would like to have an Coastal Optics 60mm macro. I have became fund of those CA free images.

I would of course need a bigger sensor to go with the lens. I guess that when the day come and I have saved up for the 60mm I'll also be able to find a LIVE FF camera. No, I don't exactly need anything of this, but... ;)
Curious because:

1. There are plenty of cheaper alternatives for this (e.g: Schneider APO Componon/Digitar, etc in 60mm FL).

2. Not special unless you would make use of it for UV and IR- neither is possible with an off the shelf m4/3rds cam.

3. Not sure if the QC problems related to "hotspotting" in all wavelength regions are resolved.

Jonas

Curious because:

1. There are plenty of cheaper alternatives for this (e.g: Schneider APO Componon/Digitar, etc in 60mm FL).

2. Not special unless you would make use of it for UV and IR- neither is possible with an off the shelf m4/3rds cam.

3. Not sure if the QC problems related to "hotspotting" in all wavelength regions are resolved.
1: I don't know of all options. But I do know I want a lens not cumbersome to use. I don't mind a normal focusing ring for example, or an easy to mount lens. F-mount seem just fine for Nikon, Canon and 4/3. The Schneider lens also doesn't seem to be optimized for UV-IR-VIS - and I have never seen an image taken with the lens.

2: Heh. OK, it wasn't special enough - or is my yet unmodified camera not special enough?

3: Ooops. There is a QC problem with the CO 60mm? The reviews I have seen didn't notice this. On the contrary I read there are no hot spots. Maybe they didn't test "all wavelength regions"? DO you have a source mentioning the problem?

Vivek, dreams wishes and wants don't have to be realistic, or unmatched by some other option, do they? Maybe I misunderstood your original post.

bradhusick

The lens I lust for is the Leica 50 Summilux ASPH in solid titanium. It was only sold with the solid titanium M7 kit. I am waiting for someone to be willing to split up the kit, or go in with me on it and buy the camera.

wjlapier

I'm with Brad on this one, though it doesn't have to be titanium. The 50 lux asph would complete my M kit nicely.

But since you posted this in the 4/3rds forum, and I'm limited to 20-50, I'd say the Canon FD 35/2.8 T/S. I had this lens in Nikon mount and regret selling it. Could be fun on the GF1.

V

Vivek

But since you posted this in the 4/3rds forum, and I'm limited to 20-50, I'd say the Canon FD 35/2.8 T/S.

Yeah, that would be nice.

Jonas, Search around (nikongear.com).

You do not need a "special lens" for digital IR or even UV.

"Reviews" are fun for reading.

pentacon6

I have tried Schneider 50mm f2.8 Xenoplan. The ultra high resolution for measurement is just an unbeatable lens I have ever seen. I just want to find its brother 28mm f2.8 for my standard lens shot.

But rather than lens, I perfer a tilt shift adapter of using nikon mount with aperture control.
We can then use a 12-24mm f4 Nikkor or Tokina for shooting. It is still quite usable for the coverage.

Photomorgana

Its kinda difficult to pick one lens within such broad range, so I'll take liberty and split at least in two.

25mm - Kinoptik 25mm f2
50mm - Kinoptik 50mm f2 macro

Jonas

Jonas, Search around (nikongear.com).

You do not need a "special lens" for digital IR or even UV.

"Reviews" are fun for reading.
Thank you for pointing me to the nikongear. I wasn't aware of the problem. I must have taken diglloyd's review to lighthearted.

Again, however, "need" and "want" is not the same thing.

As I now have taken the CO 60mm away from my wish list it is empty. I have what I need. What's your own special want to have?

V

Vivek

Hudson nailed it! :thumbup:

One of these days I will get one done, in the meantime, I shall live with those triangles way in the background.

I located one of my Pana MD to c-mount adapters and tried the 40/2 pancake. Not bad. There are some interesting Minolta MD and Maxxum special lenses.

Ron Evers

Hudson nailed it! :thumbup:

There are some interesting Minolta MD and Maxxum special lenses.
I have 4 Minolta MC lenses & they all provide a blue colour cast to the images that can be rectified in Lightroom. Perhaps the MDs are better??

JerryMK

Somehow I dream of getting the Canon 50mm f0.95 seems like a massive piece of glass with great performance.

monza

I'm looking forward to the 25/1.1 manual focus (native micro 4/3 mount) that I have heard rumors about.

Godfrey

Although I'll likely never get it, and really don't need it, one of the Contax G Biogon 21mm f/2.8 lenses would be a delight to work with.

V

Vivek

I'm looking forward to the 25/1.1 manual focus (native micro 4/3 mount) that I have heard rumors about.

If you could get me a sample when it shows up, I would love to try it. ;)

Ron, I just referred to the mount (MD), though the one I mention (45/2) is a Rokkor-X is also not a single coated lens, it seems to me that your mount might have a paint problem.