The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1 images in Apple Aperture

pellicule

For all the Aperture users:

Using Panasonic GF1 Raws in Aperture

I Stumbled On this the other day, I finally got round to trying it and lo and behold it does work :)

I created an Automater Application that calls the Terminal command and simply drop the images on it and it creates the DNGs.

Of course there is some lens distortion as there is no lens adjustment in Aperture, but I'm happy with that compared to using another application.

Phil.

kevinparis

i wrote a automator/ applescript thing that did the same for E-P1 files... it was just a matter of changing one section using text edit to read E-30 as opposed to E-P1 and aperture reads it... without the lens correction of course. I am guessing if Aperture supports the G1 a similar trick will work for the GF-1

happy to share it with anybody... its kind flaky in the sense that its slow and doesn't like being interupted while working

cheers

K

Godfrey

It's pretty sad to hear that these kluges are still needed.

Aperture is a good product, the engineering should get off their butts and support the E-P1, Lumix G and LX3. A kluge that doesn't do the processing correctly is certainly less than ideal to me.

Sorry for the rant, but I've wanted to like Aperture all the way along. However, it just keeps putting obstacles in the way. :-(

jonoslack

HI Godfrey - Kevin - Phil
I quite agree - there's rumours of Aperture - X coming soon, and maybe they'll sort out their act and get working with cameras which use lens corrections (that seems to be where they've dropped the ball).

I actually got to the point of deciding to use lightroom instead, but in the end I relented on the basis of the way the clone tool works in lightroom (it's fine for spotty faces, but no possible use for power lines!), and the web page and book features work. I also really do like the interface better (but I know that's subjective).

For the time being I'm using my normal folder structure, with an extra folder for EP1-JPGS and converting using Capture 1 to jpgs and loading those in Aperture - when support finally turns up I can simply import the sister folder (. . . EP1-ORF (original eh?)).

Kevin.
I wouldn't mind a go with your automator though - presumably that means that you don't need to change to dng first?

Sounds fab to me (I can manage slow, that's time to go get a cup of coffee / wine etc.).

all the best

kevinparis

Jono

email sent with the automator...

I am off to new york next week for a week and will be travelling light... Just E-P1, 17mm and maybe one manual lens. Though I may happen to fall into B&H ... after which anything can happen!!

I will also give Lightroom 3 a go.

I do wish they would get their act together with Aperture... I would hate all those days pounding the seminar and tradeshow circuit I did for Apple to be a complete waste of time

Cheers

Kevin

pellicule

Hey Kev,

Have a good time in NY. I look forward to seeing the results of your 'light combo'.
By the way, I got a job :( I guess 5 months on the dole was enough, I was getting too used to it.

I'm in Leuven, in a cheapo hotel waiting for Top Gear to come on BBC2 and trying my best to keep out of the pub - oh the call of the Belgium beers .. damn .. I'm bored .. I was drinking Wolf last week, they said you howl at the moon after enough which I can confirm is true :)

I was pleased to find this little app, I've tried all the other photo apps and really prefer the Aperture interface, it is a pleasure to get back to Aperture, I downloaded the PT Fx Plug-In to try out the lens correction and if I get some straight lines that get on my nerves, I can zap them.

Cheers,
Dr Phil.

Godfrey

... relented on the basis of the way the clone tool works in lightroom (it's fine for spotty faces, but no possible use for power lines!), and the web page and book features work. ...
It's a "no, never mind" comment, but I've use Lightroom's spotting tool to remove power lines. Not the slickest tool for that, but it does it well enough for my needs without having to drop into Photoshop. If it's too much work, well, Photoshop is there.

I can't seem to get comfortable with Aperture for image adjustment, for some reason. The way the tools work seems too alien to me ... I'm well-ingrained with Photoshop and Lightrooms UI paradigm, I guess. I like the 'list view' it offers, wish LR had that too. And Aperture's book features are good, however: I import finished, full resolution TIFF files. Haven't looked at the web generation features yet.

Like mechanics arguing about Snap-On vs MAC screwdrivers, I guess. ];-)

f6cvalkyrie

I'm in Leuven - oh the call of the Belgium beers .. damn ..
Hi, pellicule,

are you in Leuven for a longer period ? Leuven is one of the most lovely (small) towns in Belgium. Great for photography in all seasons ...

I live only 20 km from Leuven, so if you want, we can meet some day ...

C U
Rafael (who is in La Hulpe)

pellicule

Hey,
Yea i'll be here till April. I'm working at Telindus.
I plan to stay in Wavre in the new year.
tell you what I'll drop you a private message.
cheers and thanks for the message.
Phil.