The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Protecting painted labels on G1 buttons

R. Bowman

In a tangential discussion in an earlier thread about the GF1, someone suggested applying clear nail polish to prevent the white painted labels on the G1 buttons from rubbing off.

Has anyone tried this with success?

Thanks!

I

Irwell

In a tangential discussion in an earlier thread about the GF1, someone suggested applying clear nail polish to prevent the white painted labels on the G1 buttons from rubbing off.

Has anyone tried this with success?

Thanks!
I have not, maybe not a good idea to have
acetate based products near such a sensitive
instrument.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Welcome to the Forum, both of you.

Nail Polish is basically, lacquer....not a good idea with plastics.....
If you search the threads, this topic has been discussed many times with I believe, good results...
seeya's around...
shooter

Godfrey

lol ...

After 8000-9000 exposures with the G1 in nearly daily use for a year, I notice now that the very center of the four-way buttons markings is beginning to wear off.

By this point, if I don't already know what these buttons are supposed to do, the camera is hopeless for me. I doubt it will have enough resale value three years from now to be worth selling so I'll just live with it. ;-)

slosync

Surely Godfrey's real life test is much better than mine, but I thought this might lend some credence to the various reports that most G1's don't seem to have a serious wear problem. Perhaps there was a bad batch that were produced somewhere along the line or some owners may have used some kind of lotion that had a detritus affect on the paint.

I haven't coated the buttons on my G1 and have had it a little over a year. I have shot approximately 1200 images. Here's a picture on my G1.

Sorry I can't help with the answer to what type of coating may extend the button wear.

Cheers,
Don