The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Travelling light

kevinparis

Ok..

off for a week in New York at the weekend... decided to travel light... actually did it quite light the last time just a 510 and a 12-60 purchased when i was there.

This time I am keeping with the Olympus theme, but going a bit old school.. no zooms and very little autofocus

E-P1, 17/2.8, Zuiko 24/2 and Zuiko 50/1.4

should all fit in a hand and a pocket ( well not the charger :))

think i have most of the angles covered... any thoughts?

K

PS also packing the Leica M adapter so I can steal the other halves 75 summilux if i need more reach :)

Terry

Kevin,
I just did 10 days with GF1 20mm f1.7 and 45mm f2.8 macro.

I think you will be fully covered with your kit.

kevinparis

thanks

I am getting into these old lenses... got a 100/2.8 on its way... just wish Olympus would look at their heritage and start delivering some kick posterior primes...

heck just re-engineer all the OM lens designs taking advantage of modern manufacturing.. dont make them autofocus.. just talk to the camera for EXIF and focus confirm. Sell them as Zuiko Classic or something.. i am sure they would sell

K

helenhill

Lookin GOOD...
actually the 24 & 50 would be Enough for me
and stealing the mates 75 isn't a Bad Idea...

Give me a Holler when in Two /The Parisian Duo

just spent a Stupendous Thanksgiving Weekend with Japenese photographer Junku Nishimura /aka Junku Newcleus and his Girlfriend
Best- h

Godfrey

Sounds fine by me. A wide, a normal and a medium tele ... classic good kit. Sounds like what I use all the time.

Jonas

Looks good, but no real wide angle lens? Or is that one also to be picked from your better half's bag? ;)

One can adopt to what's available, and one can travel with a mind set up for some decision... but I think I would like to have a wide angle lens when visiting N.Y. Maybe that's because I've never been there? I would like to be able to take the standard cliché images.

My own bag right now would have been the ZD 9-18 (big but good), the Panasonic 20/1.7 and a Zuiko OM50mm lens.

Have a nice week in the N.Y!

kevinparis

Jonas

a real wide is kinda tricky to come across.. 35 equivalent should work for me.. though a 28 equivalent would be nice...

K

Jonas

Kevin,

Some day I hope Panasonic makes a good 11/2.8 prime, showing us all what the µ4/3 system can do.

As you see from my travel setup I let the ZD9-18 take care of everything under 20mm. The zoom can often be mounted for long times. But, all this is quite a lot about habits, especially for shooting in the streets. If I think of visiting N.Y I also think a lot about buildings and sceneries, something a wide is needed for.

Now you can deal with a lot of those situations by locking the exposure and do a quick handheld two image pano. So, as others have said, you are set and ready to go.

kevinparis

jonas

have the 9-18 which i love... and it would be in my bag if i wasn't a true scotsman and refuse to pay the outrageous price olympus charge for an extension tube with some electrical contacts.
I understand charging a premium on accessories.. but 150 euros for a bit of plastic... would rather buy another Zuiko lens

K

Jonas

Kevin,

I understand. I bought my Panny version in November last year, from Japan, as it was the only way to mount anything else to the G1 at that time. B&H has the DMW-MA1 in stock, USD 140.

I know, it is still way too much money but you are probably visiting B&H anyway, no?

Cheers,

JCT

I recently picked up the OM 100mm F2.8 -- it is swell and a great size. My current G1 walk-around is the 20mm f1.7 (just arrived today), a Pen-F 38mm/1.8F and the 100 f2.8. I also carry the 14-45 zoom.

My husband is heading to Japan next month, I'm hoping to convince him to pick up the 7-14 for me, if not, I have my own trip there in May. That should do the trick.

Definitely visit B&H (they often have a *very* nice selection of used OM lenses)-- worth checking out! But if you haven't gone before, watch out, it's Disneyland for photographers. Your credit card may take a beating.

Enjoy!

JT

Godfrey

Looks good, but no real wide angle lens? Or is that one also to be picked from your better half's bag? ;)

One can adopt to what's available, and one can travel with a mind set up for some decision... but I think I would like to have a wide angle lens when visiting N.Y. Maybe that's because I've never been there? I would like to be able to take the standard cliché images.

My own bag right now would have been the ZD 9-18 (big but good), the Panasonic 20/1.7 and a Zuiko OM50mm lens.

Have a nice week in the N.Y!
The 17mm is a wide angle lens!