The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Very initial impression of the EP2 (from a former EP1 owner)

swandy

I got what I thought was for me a decent return on my EP1 and "upgraded" to the EP2. My main reason was the EVF - I love the Lensbaby Composer - and figured it would help with the manual focusing.
(1) While I love the look and feel of the black finish, I do sort of miss the retro look of the original silver/chrome, but not much.
(2) The AF seems slightly improved (possibly wishful thinking). Seems like there is not as much hunting. Tried the 14-42 kit, the Pana 20mm and two 4/3 lenses - the 40-150 (new version) and the 14-54 MKII. I do wish that Oly did allow to make the Single AF points smaller - still too large.
(3) The EVF is fantastic! I can really see using it for manual focusing and not actually needing to have the Manual Assist Magnification on. It is very bright and certainly looks larger than any of the Oly 4/3 OVFs that I have used (though never had the E3 - largest is on the E30). Quibles: you must push the button on the EVF if you wish to view images on the larger screen - yes you can view them in the EVF, but I prefer the screen. There should be a firmware update to allow for this. Also the exposure of the EVF and the White Balance don't seem to be exactly the same as the LCD - not off by much but definitely noticable. However, the resulting images look identical.
(4) There seems to be some improvement in the flash exposure. I have the FL36R and the FL20 and on both of them with my EP1 I was generally having to play with the flash exposure settings - generally slightly over exposed.
(5) Looked quickly at the two new Art Filters - will reserve judgement but so far they will not get nearly as much use as the Grainy B&W does. What I don't understand is why - if you are using the Super Info Menu is there no way of changing Art Filter without rotating the Mode Dial - should be on the menu like it is on the Live Menu.
(6) CAF Tracking - very interesting. Played with it a bit, but on something that was not moving. Lots of fun watching the little green square move around while tracking. What's nice is that it also works in Video Mode, but have not really tried it out yet.
That's it for now. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. Will try to post some initial shots over the weekend.
Regards,
Steve

kalex

I got mine too 2 days ago. I briefly had GF1 and decided to try E-P2. coming from GF1, E-P2 has better egronomics. that little grip on E-P2 makes a big difference in handling of the camera. LCD on E-P2 sucks compared to GF1 but its good enough to make selections and look at pics while shooting. I prefer the files I get from EP2 over GF1. not sure how to explain it :)

EVF is MUCH better than on the EP2 compared to GF1. Night and day difference. Since I don't like framing via LCD this was a big plus for me. But its bigger than GF1's.
As far as focusing, in day light I get pretty much same speed that I was getting from GF1. maybe a bit slower. When its dark, there is no comprasion. GF1 wins. I decided to keep my panasonic lenses and ended up selling the EP2 kit lens. 20mm and 14-45 work great on EP2 body. Overall its a very nice system and hopefully will see more development and lenses in the near future.
I see you are in SI, I'm in Brooklyn myself :)

Alex

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the post gentleman. I'm still lovin' the EP1 but the EP2 is making a stir and it's nice to hear positive things...
PS..... Philly here...

monza

I had a customer who bought a GF1 online (along with the EVF) bring it to the store and compare side by side with the EP2.

He walked out with the EP2. He preferred the menus of the GF1 (coming from an LX3 he was familiar with the Panasonic style) but the in-body IS and EVF tilted him in favor of the EP2.

As he put it "I can always learn a new interface. I can't 'learn' the camera to have in-body IS and a better EVF."

He got the black EP2 with 17mm.

swandy

As far as focusing, in day light I get pretty much same speed that I was getting from GF1. maybe a bit slower. When its dark, there is no comprasion. GF1 wins. I decided to keep my panasonic lenses and ended up selling the EP2 kit lens. 20mm and 14-45 work great on EP2 body. Overall its a very nice system and hopefully will see more development and lenses in the near future.
I see you are in SI, I'm in Brooklyn myself :)
Alex
Hi Alex. I never used any of the Pana cameras but would assume based on what I have read that they AF faster. As you said - in good light the EP1/EP2 is fine with perhaps a slight edge/improvement to the EP2. But in dim light, nothing great. Not as bad as some P&S cameras I have used, but nowhere near what my E30 could get. But still not terrible.
I had both Oly kit lenses but sold the 17mm when the Pana 20mm came out. Really wanted that faster lens (and it does look better on the black EP2 than it did on the silver EP1). I like the collapsible kit zoom - great when traveling - though I will admit that the 20mm almost LIVES on the camera.
Steve
BTW - my wife and I grew up in Brooklyn (me in Sheepshead Bay and her in Boro Park) before we moved to SI about 25 years ago.

swandy

Thanks for the post gentleman. I'm still lovin' the EP1 but the EP2 is making a stir and it's nice to hear positive things...
PS..... Philly here...
My daughter and her husband LOVE Philly!!! They still live here on SI but that is one area that they have been considering on a permanent basis.
BTW - if you use any manual focus lenses on the EP1 DON'T GO NEAR the EP2 with the EVF - you will be FORCED to get one!!!
Steve

kalex

LOL. Yep. I used my manual focus lenses on the E-P2 and its great. but I ended up selling them as I kind of see no point in using them :). I didn't have leica collection or canon or nikon so for me its a non issue.

My kit so far is E-P2 and 14-45mm, 20mm. I want to get the newly announced 14mm 2.8 and the 45mm Macro. I think that would be enough for my kit. Getting 9-18 or 7-14 lenses will make E-P2 big but then again its still smaller than other cameras around. and those are excellent optics from what I have been reading. Only issue I see so far is the ridiculous pricing on these. I'm sure they will come down as more lenses hit the market and with competition among companies.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Nah,
I'm a diehard. The Pen 1 turns me on.
The Pen 2 does not excite me.
Besides, if I need an evf, the G1 does that sorta thing rather well.
Shooter

jminor

Nah,
I'm a diehard. The Pen 1 turns me on.
The Pen 2 does not excite me.
Besides, if I need an evf, the G1 does that sorta thing rather well.
Shooter
How is manual focusing using the LCD? If it can be done with reasonable accuracy the EP1 would work for me.
John

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
John,
It works fine but it really depends on focal length.
I kinda settled on the dedicated lenses.
There are many here that use longer lenses.
Maybe some one will chime in.
Don

ZoranC

As far as focusing, in day light I get pretty much same speed that I was getting from GF1. maybe a bit slower. When its dark, there is no comprasion. GF1 wins.
What is the accuracy of AF in daylight and dark like when compared to GF1?

swandy

What is the accuracy of AF in daylight and dark like when compared to GF1?
Never had the GF1, but I have never had a problem with accuracy. My only "quibble" would be that the AF areas (I generally have only the center AF point active) is too large. It can sometimes focus not necessarily where I wish. After being used to a regular DSLR (E30), this is takes getting accustomed to. From what I have read I believe some (or all) of the Pana m4/3 cameras allow adjustment of the AF sensitivity (but not sure).
Steve

Brian Mosley

Steve, you're right about the focus area being too big sometimes - I switch to the MF assist screen, position the 10x zoom green square on the critical point I want focus, hit enter to zoom in and then autofocus... it's a lot quicker and easier to do than to describe! lol but you do get pinpoint focus accuracy.

Cheers

Brian

swandy

Steve, you're right about the focus area being too big sometimes - I switch to the MF assist screen, position the 10x zoom green square on the critical point I want focus, hit enter to zoom in and then autofocus... it's a lot quicker and easier to do than to describe! lol but you do get pinpoint focus accuracy.

Cheers

Brian
I agree Brian that using the magnified view (usually settle for 7x myself, but might try the 10x when where the AF is pointed is critical) would make this more precise. But what I don't understand is why Oly (1) could not have instituted a selectible smaller AF area like Pana did and (2) could not have made the magnification view easier/simplier to use with legacy lenses.
(Maybe in a firmware update - but should have been implemented in the EP2 as many people have commented about the use of legacy lenses since the EP1 was released.)
Steve

Brian Mosley

Hi Steve, I couldn't agree more - don't know what the holdup is with the firmware fixes but it's very frustrating... this is a classic cam and deserves the finishing touches.

Cheers

Brian

ZoranC

Never had the GF1, but I have never had a problem with accuracy. My only "quibble" would be that the AF areas (I generally have only the center AF point active) is too large. It can sometimes focus not necessarily where I wish.
Thank you!

iiiNelson

I haven't really kept up with the Olympus Micro 4/3 cameras since the EP-1 was kinda a let down for me over what else is available (outside aestetics) but what's new or different about the EP-2? Did they bump up the LCD resolution? Improve AF to at least G1 levels?

swandy

I haven't really kept up with the Olympus Micro 4/3 cameras since the EP-1 was kinda a let down for me over what else is available (outside aestetics) but what's new or different about the EP-2? Did they bump up the LCD resolution? Improve AF to at least G1 levels?
Unfortunately the answer to both your questions is "no". I think that the AF is better than the EP1 - seems to hunt less in low light - but nothing to write home about and certainly not up to the Pana speeds yet.
The LCD is the same. Never had an issue with it for composing - perhaps a bit when trying Manual Focusing, but that could just be getting used to using the LCD to manually focus. But since they added the great EVF - much better from what I have read than the one for the GF1 - I use that for any lens that needs manual focusing.
Steve

iiiNelson

I'm not so concern about a EVF. I have a G1. Speed and output are the top factors for me and I can't deal with the half resolution screen after being used to D-Lux 4 and G1.