The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bounced Flash Off Camera Wireless For GF1 Question

wjlapier

I'm wondering if anyone here is using flash off the camera and maybe wirelessly. I picked up a Nikon SB-15 for a good price and after some playing around I'm enjoying it for in house stuff with the family when flash is bounced. Flash was only $20! Only thing, the flash is about the size of the GF1 and feels awkward on the GF1, especially in portrait mode. I have to say I'm very pleased thus far with the results. Anyway, I'd like to get the flash off the camera, and fire it wirelessly--and still not cost too much. Any ideas?

Here's one of my daughter before her Xmas program--don't ask why she is wearing what she is wearing :rolleyes: This is what I'd like to keep getting in terms of using flash, especially during xmas morning.

wjlapier

I'm aware of the strobist site. I don't want to invest in Pocketwizards. I was hoping for something that was similar but less cost.

I want to make this simple. One or maybe to flashes off camera with a small transmitter on the GF1 ( smaller than a speedlight hopefully ). I'm happy with how the SB-15 is doing bounced off my ceiling in my house, but don't want the flash on the GF-1.

Jonas

Ah Ron, that is for cheapskates... ;)
I went for the real thing and bought Cactus v4 stuff from Gadget Infinity. That way I could pay at least USD 40 but for one transmitter and receiver only. Now I spent even more and got myself two extra receivers when I were at it.

I'm sure the PT04 thingies Ron mentions work fine. So does the Cactus v4 parts. I use them with my G1 set to 1/125 second and they have yet to misfire or cause any sort of trouble.

("yet", lol, that is in a period of 2 weeks but I'm happy with it this far. The Cactus triggers replaced my old cheap optical slave triggers which while wirefree and working sometimes didn't fire as they were hidden behind something.)

wjlapier

Cheap is fine as long as they work. Might have found a Phottix Tetra kit stateside. I'm not looking for iTTL or ETTL. Just a means of firing the flash off the GF1.

Thanx for the ideas. May use them if this other wireless kit doesn't pan out.