The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-620 and EP-1/2 the same inside???

jminor

Hi,
Other than size and form, are the EP cameras and the E-620 the same internally? It looks like they have different processors but what about the sensor? And is there a big difference between the TRUEPIC V IMAGE PROCESSOR in the EP cameras and the TRUEPIC III+ IMAGE PROCESSOR in the 620?
Thanks,
John

swandy

I believe that the sensor for the three models (and also the E30) are all basically the same. But the image processor has been changed/tweaked from one model to the next.
Never had the E620 but still have the E30 (I believe that was Tru Pic III) and I would say that the EP1/EP2 have slightly better Dynamic Range and that the higher ISOs are certainly better than the E30 was able to get.
Steve

jminor

Thanks Steve, I've been looking at several cameras, the Ricoh GRX, EP1 & 2, E620 and E30. I considered the E30 & 620 thinking the handling would be better when using my OM lenses and the image quality would be the same as the EP1/2. The EP1/2 for their small size and large sensor, and image quality on par with the E30-620. And finally the GRX for the large sensor and incredible user interface. My GRD is my favorite digital camera. I've owned the Pentax K10D & K20D and wanted something easier to carry around. My GRD is always with me.... I briefly considered the GRDIII, but want the image quality the larger sensor cameras offer. I have adjusted to composing with the LCD screen on my GRD so don't think I'll miss an EVF, and if I feel the need to have a viewfinder I'll grab one of my OM's....
John

swandy

I have adjusted to composing with the LCD screen on my GRD so don't think I'll miss an EVF, and if I feel the need to have a viewfinder I'll grab one of my OM's....
John
My only suggestion would be that if you do intend to do a lot of shooting with legacy/MF lenses, then consider the EP2 as opposed to the EP1. The EVF is a GODSEND for MF - even with the normal 4/3 and m4/3 lenses. It is so good that I generally don't even bother with the MF Assist/Magnification mode any more.
Steve