The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Newbie question regarding raw conversion of G1 on mac

snowy

Re: ... software, costs, and value ...

I tried with SP because a very good friend who's work I respect loved it. I could not get on with the clumsy and miserable UI.

I justify spending at least as much for premium quality software as I do for a premium quality lens. My good lenses cost me between $500 and $1500 apiece. The software I use has at least as much influence on the quality of my work as the lenses do. (Same goes for the tripod too.)

So at $300 for Lightroom and $600 for Photoshop CS4, I feel I'm getting a bargain (and, btw, I didn't pay that much anyway! ... ;-).
I agree about the UI on SP - it's not good! However, I can't justify spending the same amount on software as the original camera cost just to fix problems in the camera's software! It's a classic diminishing returns problem - you get 95% of the quality with the free software (and some time invested), and the last 5% gets progressively more expensive.

Brian Mosley

Re: ... software, costs, and value ...

So at $300 for Lightroom and $600 for Photoshop CS4, I feel I'm getting a bargain (and, btw, I didn't pay that much anyway! ... ;-).
I was sent a pirate copy of Adobe CS3 a while ago - dropped it in the bin... If I can't afford to pay the full price, plus stay on the upgrade gravy train then I'm not interested on principle.

I'd rather support the likes of Phase One and Bibble Labs and Lightcrafts - the smaller outfits who need their customer base to be happy.

Certainly, YMMV

Cheers

Brian

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Silkypix, LR, RAW Developer, Capture One (not on PPC though) are all good RCs. It very much depends on what you want. But in all cases I use Lightroom as my main organizer. 60K images need at least some organization.
Exactly. Which is why I use Lightroom as my organizer and for run-of-the-mill conversions but switch to RAW Developer for any important raw conversions.

(I haven't yet installed the Lightroom 3 beta but my experience so far suggests that one would never lose money by betting on Brian Griffith's ability to stay ahead of Adobe's engineers.)

G

gme109

Just got a new G1 a few days ago. I've updated the firmware, and gone through the menus and set everything up. I've already taken some jpegs and uploaded them to my mac, no problem. But now I'd like to do the same with raw files. I'm running Mac 10.4 OS. I downloaded Adobe 5.2 raw converter, which is suppose to convert G1 raw files to DNG, but the files are grayed out, so I'm unable to select them.
Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem may be, I'm at a loss.

Thanks
Follow up:

Okay I've tried Raw Developer, and tried to get Adobe Raw Converter to work, along with the software that came with the camera, SilkyPix.

Raw Converter would require upgrading the OS to my Mac, which I plan on doing, so I wasn't able to give it a shot as of yet. Raw Developer did work, although I didn't find it very user friendly. Next up SilkyPix. I must say, speaking from the limited experience of a newbie to raw file conversion, I not only found it easy to use, but was impressed with the results. I think for now, the software that came with the G1 is more than adequate at this point in the game.