The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LX3 to -> GF1

JCT

Yup, I haven't dumped mine....yet. Very hard to beat the form factor and the overall versatility.

But I didn't use it once on my trip last week, the G1 got all the action.

JT

iiiNelson

Well to be honest the GF1 may very well end up relacing my D-Lux 4. They are virtually the same size with the 20mm attached with the advantage being you have a better lens in the 20mm but more versatility with the D-Lux. IQ is a slight advantage to the GF1 thanks to larger sensor and better optics. The color is about equal though so it's hard to tell some shots about without metadata.

JCT

Well to be honest the GF1 may very well end up relacing my D-Lux 4. They are virtually the same size with the 20mm attached with the advantage being you have a better lens in the 20mm but more versatility with the D-Lux. IQ is a slight advantage to the GF1 thanks to larger sensor and better optics. The color is about equal though so it's hard to tell some shots about without metadata.

Upon further reflection I'm in heading the same direction-- for whatever reason, I haven't been able to turn my LX3 into my dedicated P&S (as in, turn it to IA and let her rip). It's a great performer for certain things, but with the G1 (potentially about to morph into a GH1) it's a niche camera for me at present.

The funny thing is that I think the ZS3 might replace it for a pure P&S. I may be one of the very few to make that "downgrade", but it goes to show just how personal these types of decisions can be.

JT

Update from me - I'm returning my LX3 (just upgraded from LX2 a week or so ago), and purchasing a GF1. I hope it's a good decision. I just couldn't quite get the high iso performance I wanted from the LX3. I wasn't expecting too much, but I like to shoot at 400 quite a bit. That's about where the noise really starts to come through in my experience.

The LX3 is a great little camera, no doubt. I love the form factor, especially with my CV 25mm optical viewfinder on top. But, my experience with the G1 tells me the IQ will be worth the upgrade to GF1.

I still miss the ability to manually zone focus on the G series, though. Hopefully that won't be too bad of a tradeoff.

I think that the G1 and GF1 will be my full travel kit for the foreseeable future, at least until I hit the lottery and can buy a M9...

Reed