The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic 20mm with E-P1 - noisy?

AndyG

Hi all, with this lens on my E-P1 the aperture is adjusted in live view (i.e. as the light hitting the sensor changes), and every time this happens it makes a fairly loud clicky/scratchy (!) sound. Is this normal? It's not the same sound as the focus sound, and I can see it coinciding with the aperture widening/closing. It's irritating me a lot already (the kit zoom doesn't do it).

Thanks in advance,
Andy

T

thearne3

Hi,

I know there have been comments on this issue - either here or at dpreview. You might try a search on 20mm, aperture, noise, e-p1.

I don't have the lens, but this issue relates to how the E-P1 handles the aperture below f2.8. By all accounts, it is 'normal', irritating, and something that Oly should fix in a firmware update.

Hope this at least gives you some peace of mind that it's not self-destructing!
;)

Best,
Tom

AndyG

Ok thanks guys (I had googled but only found results to do with focus noise for movie recording).