The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1 with lens - EP1/2 body only?

Tim

Sorry if this is a Micro 4/3 noobie question but is it correct that the Panasonic GF1 (and even the G1/GH1) are sold as kits only with lenses?

However the Olympus EP1/2 are sold as body only and can be matched with any lens? (that fits of course)

Is this essentially correct?

The reason for me asking is I have seen a private sale of a GF1 body only and if I bought this it would make getting the either Pana kit lens difficult.

Terry

It isn't a simple question to answer as both companies have made different combinations available in different countries. For instance in the US you can only buy the GF1 in black and as a kit. There are two different kits, 14-45 and 20mm. A number of people bought two kits because they wanted either the lens or the body but didn't need the whole kit and are selling pieces off. For example in the US until very recently you couldn't buy the 14-45 on its own so some people bought two cameras and sold off one body. I am not sure in Japan if you can get the GF1 as body only. Others have bought G1s and GH1s and are selling of some of the kit lenses.

In terms of the E-P1 in the US there were 3 choices body only, body + 14-42 or body + 17mm. The US didn't have a kit with both lenses but the UK did. The E-P2 is not out in all markets yet but I've seen no indication that you can buy body only. So far it comes as a kit with the body, 1 lens and the EVF. You can't buy the E-P2 without EVF and since the E-P1 can't use the EVF is not sold as an accessory.

So, sorry for the long rambling reply but essentially you have to
a)look at what is available by country
b)buy the parts you want from a forum member selling or on ebay

Last edited:

Godfrey

Sorry if this is a Micro 4/3 noobie question but is it correct that the Panasonic GF1 (and even the G1/GH1) are sold as kits only with lenses?

However the Olympus EP1/2 are sold as body only and can be matched with any lens? (that fits of course)

Is this essentially correct?

The reason for me asking is I have seen a private sale of a GF1 body only and if I bought this it would make getting the either Pana kit lens difficult.
So far, Panasonic has not offered a body-only package in the US. Similarly, (I haven't seen anyone who had the E-P1 or E-P2 as a body-only package yet either.) While there has been limited stock available, the Lumix G Vario 14-45, 14-140, and 20 mm lenses have all been offered standalone.

A friend bought a G1+14-45 kit, then a 20/1.7 lens only. Then he saw a GF1 body available used ... picked that up too.

If you need a Lumix G Vario 14-45 lens, I can be convinced to sell mine. While it's a very nice lens, performance wise, I tend to use my prime lenses instead.

Terry

You don't need to be convinced to sell the lens Godfrey...I'm putting one up for sale tonight. I split apart a kit and now (or as of tomorrow) have two copies of the 14-45.

Tim

Terry and Godfrey, thank you for your insights here. Terry I was not aware to look out for the differences in differing markets. I am not adverse to buying OS via ebay or the DPI buy/sell etc so these differences do make a difference.

I still have to settle between the three main contenders. I have done a lot of research on the differences and for me the GF1 may have the edge - mainly because of the reported low light focussing, but I have long been a fan of Olympus products so still considering. - I still have my OM4 I bought in 1984.

Thanks again..

Terry

Tim,
I'm not a video person but I think you also need to make sure you look into PAL vs NTSC versions

pellicle

Tim

pardon me but

I still have to settle between the three main contenders. I have done a lot of research on the differences and for me the GF1 may have the edge - mainly because of the reported low light focussing,
how would the GF1 have any better low light focusing than the G1 or the GH1

Tim

Tim

pardon me but

how would the GF1 have any better low light focusing than the G1 or the GH1
Hi Pellicle, I was mainly considering the GF1 against the two Olympuses (Olympie?) both the EP1/2.

Are the G1/GH1 better than the GF1 with low light focus? - but I was not likely to go that way, the GH1 a bit pricey and both G1/GH1 a bit larger than I was hoping for.

Thanks

Godfrey

..Are the G1/GH1 better than the GF1 with low light focus? - but I was not likely to go that way, the GH1 a bit pricey and both G1/GH1 a bit larger than I was hoping for.
The G1/GH1 viewfinder is superior to the GF1's optional EVF or LCD for low-light manual focus tool. All three have focus assist lights so can AF even in total darkness (as long as you're close enough to your subject).

The GF1's LCD is better in low light than the E-P1/E-P2 LCD. Don't know how well the E-P2's EVF works, I only saw one for the first time today. In normal light, it's quite nice ... a toss up between the G1/GH1 EVF and it: they're different technology and have both magnification and qualitative differences.

I prefer the GF1 and G1/GH1 controls over the Pens, however. I find them more usable.

Tim

I prefer the GF1 and G1/GH1 controls over the Pens, however. I find them more usable.
Yeah, from what I've seen from the PDF instruction manuals I think I'd likely prefer the GF1 OS over the Pens. I suspect the GF1 is similar to the LX3 in look and feel of its operating system?

I actually am happy they dropped from the GD1 the additional joystick that the LX3 has, it confuses and slows me on the LX3.

Low light usability is important for me, I hope the GF1 is up to the task?!