The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 discontinued

Roel

Also, if the G1 is out of production - there's never been a better time to pick one up... lagging edge wisdom!
Exactly. I just did. $CAD 627.00 (about $US 600) new with the 14-45mm kits lens. Normally, they are selling for $CAD 699.99 to 799.00 up here...

greypilgrim

Hi

it was the :deadhorse: Icon that lead me to feel that ... so sorry about my reaction. I should try to remain neutral at all times

:salute:
Oops, sorry, the dead horse was intended for the joys of using the swivel screen which I think we have all beaten to death many times...

And you won't hear me arguing about the EVF on the G1. Not perfect, but extremely usable, better for manual focusing than anything I have used optically since film days (I have not tried a FF digital, so I am referring to APS-C optical VF's).

**if** the EP-2 EVF is the equivalent of the EVF of the G1, then I would seriously consider using it for legacy MF lenses simply because of the in body stabilization.

It would not replace the G1 for me. The swivel screen is too handy, and the AF performance is a big plus.

What I continue to look for is my holy grail of a Nikon FM2 as a digital. A camera that gets out of the way, is excellent for MF, has the basic creative controls (ISO, Shutter, Aperture) right there, and doesn't break my neck :).

The G1 is the closest I have come to that so far. Still a bit too fiddly, but it's what I am shooting with (my D200 is getting no love these days).

Doug

Diane B

And you won't hear me arguing about the EVF on the G1. Not perfect, but extremely usable, better for manual focusing than anything I have used optically since film days (I have not tried a FF digital, so I am referring to APS-C optical VF's).

Doug
Since I do have a 5D and a G1 (and GF1 with EVF) then I can compare--for my shooting. I prefer the EVF on my G1 to the OVF on my 5D FF's for day to day shooting--and esp. for manual focusing (and I forgot to mention low light shooting, either AF or MF). I don't shoot sports or the like so the EVF suits me extremely well.

I would not be upset with either the EP-2 or my GF1 for my alternate small body. I do feel a need for an EVF (and often shoot with the GF1's EVF at about 45 angle)--and the Pen 2 would seem to have the much better one, but its not enough for me to switch at this date--and I do like having the same menus, buttons on the 2 bodies. I'm happy with the GF1 and G1--and will stick with these until there's some outstanding reason to upgrade. What I will put my money into will be the lenses--and I'm still debating the 45, but assume I will probably buy it in the end LOL.

Diane

Godfrey

The E-P2 EVF is on par quality-wise with the G1 EVF in my casual comparison.
I agree, it's on par. It's different technology, though, and has a different look ... not better or worse, IMO, just different.

I'd be happy with either EVF, or either camera if one or the other weren't available (although I'm not delighted with the E-P1/E-P2 menus and controls). No sign of that here yet: my local dealer has both in stock.

I'm happy to keep using what I have until the next round of offerings from both Panasonic and Olympus. Nothing would please me more than to see an even higher spec body in the next year, and a 70mm f/2 lens. ;-)

B

Bill Wilby

Exactly. I just did. $CAD 627.00 (about $US 600) new with the 14-45mm kits lens. Normally, they are selling for $CAD 699.99 to 799.00 up here...
Hi Roel, I can add to this thread for anyone in Canada buying a G1, as you know I have no problem telling customers my cost and working on selling with a mutual fair price, dealer cost of the G1 in Canada is 624.00 CAD. Retail 795.00 in most stores. It gets confusing with costs on each side of the border sometimes very different. This time last year 795.00 Cad was 600.00 usd and Canadian dealers shipped many G1's south. This year 795.00 CAD. is closer to 750.00 usd and now the G1's are coming North. I have been urging Panasonic to find a way to level the cost internationally so dealers like myself can compete on service and knowledge and everyone pays a fair price. I think people paying more or less for the same product damages the good will of a company and detracts from enjoying a great camera. regards and happy new year Bill

M

Mingjai

While I believe that Santo may be correct, the G1 is not discontinued but that dealer is not now stocking it. If the G1 is discontinued, Panasonic may provide more lens combinations with the GH1 than 14-140. Having only one model rather than two similar cameras will streamline production. I suspect that the cost of production of the GH1 body is not significantly different than the cost of producing the G1, but the GH1 has more features. Panasonic would have then have the GH1 and the GF1. Panasonic can then concentrate on an upgraded, more professional model with a built-in EVF or more a more basic model. Ultimately the G1 will be discontinued and if it has been a marketing success which I think it has been, upgraded models will be introduced.
It would be about time if they replaced the G1 with the GH1. As you point out, from a cost standpoint, there really can't be too big of a difference between the G1 and the GH1, so it would make sense for a manufacturing challenged company like Panasonic to make production a simple as possible with only 2 G series models in concurrent production.

I really hope the offer the GH1 in a body only option and in multiple colors.

RichA

Just got an E-P2. Couldn't resist... :)

Surprisingly, based on fooling around with it for an afternoon, I think the EVF *is* at least as good as my G1. And in low light its better I think. Size wise, its hard to tell going straight from one to the other, but I think the G1 EVF is a tiny bit bigger.

Ergonomics with this type of camera is certainly different, I think I like shooting it with the EVF pointed straight up... like I do with my medium format cameras... it makes the buttons easier to access.

So far I really like it, and the diorama art filter is a hoot (esp in Video mode)!
The EVFs will only get better and better as more companies come online with non-mirrored interchangeable lens cameras. NMIL. Ad that to the huge list of suggest acronyms for such a camera. :)

Godfrey

It would be about time if they replaced the G1 with the GH1. ...
I really hope the offer the GH1 in a body only option and in multiple colors.
I want a higher end body. Take this:

Fit it with the mFT lens mount and sensor, fit the G1/GH1 EVF, skin it with magnesium, add video and weathersealing, add IR remote receivers (front and rear), and I'll stand in line at the counter for it.

(Oh yeah, keep the battery the same as either the Panasonic L1 or G1 models ... I really don't want yet another battery form factor ... and deliver 14/2.8 and 70/2 lenses in addition to what they're doing now. ;-)

pellicle

and a 7-22 lens like that for micro4/3 might be nice too ;-)

jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle bells rock ...

Amin

I'm hard pressed to think of much they can approve about the G1 besides adding video. Sure they can make the incremental sensor improvements. Maybe shorten EVF blackout time and work on the auto ISO implementation. What else??

Terry

I think they could change the button placement like they've done in the GF1 with the quick menu button now being near your thumb.

I like the G1 without the speakers on the top of the flash, less on the mode dial and no red button for video. I would not be adverse to another stills only camera.

External control for the aspect ratio could be interesting if they use the oversize sensor.

Just like Godfrey, I lust after the return of the LC1/Digilux 2 styled camera. From my perspective even if they simply changed the electronics and still used the same fixed lens and 2/3 sensor I would buy the Digilux 2 all over again. I know it isn't m4/3 but I still lust over that camera.

Last edited:

vincechu

I'd love to see in body image stabilisation - which would be a good move because it would remove one advantage Olympus m4/3ds cameras have over Panasonics.

clay stewart

Well, I really wanted to write this:

I think they should morph the next one into a GF1 like rangefinder. They could call it the G2 (sorry Contax, but your just too slow). They don't really need the pop up flash, so they could put an EVF viewfinder there, keep it the same size as the GF1 and they would have a run away best seller, since that is really what everyone wants ;). Hell, even a optical viewfinder, with lines that lit up for different focal lengths would be a run away seller.

The external/slide in finders totally ruin the whole small camera experience, in my opinion, as they make the camera cumbersome and not pocketable.

It seems like Ricoh, Olympus and Panasonic are dancing around the answer. Leica has a partial answer, but they won't implement live view and they're too expensive and maybe to large. This whole thing makes me think that there are a lot of stupid people in charge at Leica, Panasonic and Olympus, Ricoh, and even Sigma, because they just can't see there nose in front of their face. The answer is a Canon G11 type body, with a larger sensor and interchangeable lenses. There I just spelled it out for them now who will be the first to be smart enough to make it?

But I figured if I wrote that, than I would sound negative and like a know-it-all and you know how that goes over in these forums, so I'm not going to say anything, but it is an interesting topic, never the less. :)

ustein

Contributing Editor
Holding G1/GH1

It turns out that I want EVF and swivel LCD. Here is a picture with the GH1 and7-14 which is not really rare for me anymore

Uwe