The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 discontinued

Roel

Hi there

I wrote to my dealer about acquiring a G1 kit... this is the response I got back:

"Thank you for sending us with your inquiry. We only carry the GF1 and the GH1 at present. Also, the unit will be discontinued shortly in the new year."

So... is there a G2 on the horizon?

pellicle

to quote "Riddick"

"had to happen sometime"

with people tripping over themselves to get a GF-1 which is an a more expensive but inferior camera in spec and cheaper to produce (I reckon the EVF screen alone just about doubles the production cost over the GF) its no wonder. If I was Panasonic I'd perhaps get rid of it now that the ice has been broken.

Certainly the EVF on the G1 is superior to that of the E-P2

sangio

Hi there

I wrote to my dealer about acquiring a G1 kit... this is the response I got back:

"Thank you for sending us with your inquiry. We only carry the GF1 and the GH1 at present. Also, the unit will be discontinued shortly in the new year."

So... is there a G2 on the horizon?

I think your dealer may have meant that THEY no longer stock the G1. You can still order one from Henry's or Vistek. Not sure about Vistek, but Henry's is showing this as being in stock.

cheers
Santo

greypilgrim

I'm guessing you meant LCD? I have a feeling that the E-P2 EVF is at least as good as the G1 EVF - with the advantage of being articulated and removable.

Cheers

Brian
Yeah, that would make more sense. The swivel LCD with the higher resolution is a big plus as has been stated many times before :deadhorse::)

Doug

pellicle

Guys

firstly, from a quick review of specs

secondly from a discussion with a friend in Japan

I think a quick hunt up will reveal that the VF-2 has 1.15x magnification while the G1 has 1.4x magnification. Clearly this will place the G1 as being bigger to your impression. But there is a reason for the lower magnification. The screen that the Panasonic uses alternates each pixel , to quote from a well known reference "uses a field sequential system that mixes red, green and blue images shown sequentially at 60fps, giving an effective viewfinder resolution of 1.4 million dots at 180 fps." I have also read that the screen the Olympus uses does not do this and uses the more common pixel divided into 3 bars that other screens use. So Technically it has the same number of pixels (1.44Mp), but that's the total count of R, G, and B pixels.

so this hasn't been stated before and I do know the difference between EVF and rear screen (thanks for the confidence there Doug)

Last edited:

monza

The E-P2 EVF is on par quality-wise with the G1 EVF in my casual comparison. Although I prefer the G1's --- because it is on the camera I own. ;)

greypilgrim

so this hasn't been stated before and I do know the difference between EVF and rear screen (thanks for the confidence there Doug)
Umm, actually that would be Brian and Doug; what Brian said made sense to me, so I chimed back in. And no, I wasn't questioning you ability to distinguish between the two (that would obviously be beyond foolish :eek:). I think Brian was just assuming a mistake in your typing...

My original question was an honest one trying to understand where you were coming from making that statement, and you have answered it quite eloquently, providing some interesting food for thought.

Of course, the proof will have to be in the pudding (trite, I know), and we'll have to see how it bears out in the real world.

My specific interest is because I have begun to wonder if the EP-2 with viewfinder might not be the better legacy lens m4/3 system for me while the G1 remains my main body using new lenses...

Purely speculative of course as it requires actually purchasing an EP-2...

Again, no lack of confidence implied (quite the opposite actually),

Doug

RichA

I'm guessing you meant LCD? I have a feeling that the E-P2 EVF is at least as good as the G1 EVF - with the advantage of being articulated and removable.

Cheers

Brian
It adds bulk and is more susceptible to damage than the internal EVF in the G1. The G1 is still the best of the lot when it comes to micro-4/3rds when you consider capability and price.

Howard

While I believe that Santo may be correct, the G1 is not discontinued but that dealer is not now stocking it. If the G1 is discontinued, Panasonic may provide more lens combinations with the GH1 than 14-140. Having only one model rather than two similar cameras will streamline production. I suspect that the cost of production of the GH1 body is not significantly different than the cost of producing the G1, but the GH1 has more features. Panasonic would have then have the GH1 and the GF1. Panasonic can then concentrate on an upgraded, more professional model with a built-in EVF or more a more basic model. Ultimately the G1 will be discontinued and if it has been a marketing success which I think it has been, upgraded models will be introduced.

bensonga

It adds bulk and is more susceptible to damage than the internal EVF in the G1. The G1 is still the best of the lot when it comes to micro-4/3rds when you consider capability and price.
Personally, I've never cared much for these add-on view finders....partly for the reasons Rich stated. And it sure is hard to beat the G1 for price/performance ratio in a MFT camera....assuming you don't need/want the video.

Quite happy with mine.....I just wish Panasonic would release a firmware update that allows a one button push to access the manual focusing with non-four/thirds lenses (as they did with the GF-1).

Gary

pellicle

Monza

The E-P2 EVF is on par quality-wise with the G1 EVF in my casual comparison. Although I prefer the G1's --- because it is on the camera I own. ;)
I've not seen one, but I'm guessing that precisely because of the lesser magnification it may be that it will be less obvious.

I appreciate not everyone wants a larger viewfinder. I happen to love the ones on my older SLR cameras (like my EOS 630 and Pentax MX) and prefer to have it larger to reduce focusing errors (or see when the AF hasn't latched onto what I want).

personal preference there ... but back to the point, I think that the EVF on the G1 and GH1 is as yet unequalled

Brian Mosley

Monza

I've not seen one, ....
... but back to the point, I think that the EVF on the G1 and GH1 is as yet unequalled
This is a good point, and one which causes a lot of banter on the forums - not eased by respected reviewers who give more weighting to specifications - even when they're able to try both cameras on review.

I like to read the opinions of those early adopters who are able to hold both cameras next to each other and give their honest impressions.

The comment above, about prefering the camera you own is a very pertinent one... that also has a bearing on what we read.

After all is said and done, this isn't dpreview - we mostly focus on the photography (thank God!)

Cheers

Brian

phobus

Just got an E-P2. Couldn't resist... :)

Surprisingly, based on fooling around with it for an afternoon, I think the EVF *is* at least as good as my G1. And in low light its better I think. Size wise, its hard to tell going straight from one to the other, but I think the G1 EVF is a tiny bit bigger.

Ergonomics with this type of camera is certainly different, I think I like shooting it with the EVF pointed straight up... like I do with my medium format cameras... it makes the buttons easier to access.

So far I really like it, and the diorama art filter is a hoot (esp in Video mode)!

Brian Mosley

Also, if the G1 is out of production - there's never been a better time to pick one up... lagging edge wisdom!

I'll be happy to sell mine - the E-P2 should be available after Christmas here in the UK.

Cheers

Brian

pellicle

Hi

factual information is always welcome ... :)

Ergonomics with this type of camera is certainly different, I think I like shooting it with the EVF pointed straight up... like I do with my medium format cameras... it makes the buttons easier to access.
that's actually the point that I like about the P2 system ... tilting that viewfinder. I happen to think it'd be nifty for me on the tripod too. Presently I'm using the tilt screen for akward shots, but as my close vision is getting further away I tend towards the viewfinder being a better option.

Terry

Congratulations on your new camera.

I use the viewfinder on the GF1 tilted up as well. Not fully in the vertical position but at least 45 degrees.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
You can bet the G1 will be dropped. Whenever I get a camera, shortly after it's dropped.

I acquired the G1 because of what it could do, easilly.
Vivek's street work proved the camera to me. There are other users here that have great images from it but I am on the streets. The EP2 and it's cousin the GF1 with that finder completely change the dynamics of the camera. It's awkward for what I do.
The Pen 1 is the champ here and those using it don't need the finder.
Also, it seems that the camera has adapted to many different styles and delivered.

The G1 for me is a good sister to the Pen. I hope I can adjust to depending on it.
The size with the enclosed finder, tilting screen etc makes the camera the current
benchmark in the format.