The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Video With GF1--Software, AVCHD Questions

wjlapier

So, one of the reasons I bought the GF1 was for it's ability to shoot video. Not necessarily HD, but some sort of video so I can leave behind the DV video recorder. But since I have a Panasonic HDTV, and this little camera can shoot HD, might as well use it to it's full potential.

What software should I be using to edit? I have an older version of Vegas, and I convert the files to mp4 using Handbrake. I haven't loaded any of the included software that came with the GF1--is there software in there to edit the mts files?

Finally, are there forums some of you who shoot video with your GF1 or GH1 go to? I'd like to know more about in-camera settings, and software editing.

Thanx--

wjlapier

Thank you Simon. A good step in the right direction--lots to read.

I should mention, I'm on a PC with XP Home SP3.

wjlapier

iMovie and Final Cut Express. :)

Bill, it's time to get a Mac. ;)
After watching Simon's video on Vimeo, I think you might be right. Just curious, if I seriously decide to buy a Mac, I'd prefer a laptop--what's the minimum ram I should accept? And do those programs come bundled with Macs or do I buy separate?

I can see it now, the wife is gonna :rolleyes: and wonder why do I need yet another laptop, especially after upgrading the ram and HD on this one.

simonclivehughes

I'm running a MacBook Pro with 3GB RAM. iMovie '09 comes bundled, but Final Cut Studio (version 3 now) is additional. You could also look at Final Cut Express which is quite a bit less expensive than FCS.

You upgraded your existing laptop to give to your wife, don't you remember?

BTW, thanks for the kind words on my video.

Cheers,

monza

For my purposes Final Cut Express is plenty good, I don't need the Studio version. Heck, even the free iMovie is great.