The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Guy's review favours G1 over GF1

pellicle

I really don't see the too bulky ... put the 17 or 20mm on the G1 and its really only the grip.

which I happen to like

photoSmart42

I really don't see the too bulky ... put the 17 or 20mm on the G1 and its really only the grip.
which I happen to like
I totally agree. I actually like the grip on the G1. I played around with the GF1 in the store, and it was just too small. I'm a big guy with big hands and long fingers, so the G1 works better for me. In fact, the GH1 with the heavy, bulkier 14-140mm lens on it works even better.

The nice things about what Pana and Oly have done with this new format is to make a range of products available for different tastes, so there's a camera out there for everyone. Now that they're bringing more lenses to the market, it makes for a nearly complete product line.

Brian Mosley

Just had a chance to look at the site design on the PC (rather than iPhone) - the design work is top notch... highly professional. :salute:

Cheers

Brian

slau

When it is rated as too 'big', too 'small', too 'heavy, too 'bulky', etc, it is not a review. It is just a statement of personal preference or favor. When one uses to carry a Canon 1 series body with super tele lenses, the G1 with 20f1.7 is RELATIVELY feather light and invisible.

RichA

When it is rated as too 'big', too 'small', too 'heavy, too 'bulky', etc, it is not a review. It is just a statement of personal preference or favor. When one uses to carry a Canon 1 series body with super tele lenses, the G1 with 20f1.7 is RELATIVELY feather light and invisible.
True, you can actually wear it around your neck, something I can do with the G1 but not really my Nikon D300.

pellicle

but you know, I just can't get the idea of owning a GF-1 out of my head

then the lack of IOS in the 20mm (so why is it so dear again?) pulls me towards the EP-1 then the EVF pulls me to the E-P2 (which I can't get yet and is dearer).

I don't want "another" charger and battery system, but I'd like to occasionally have movies and I think that the EP style stabilization offers some great advantages in that department.

sigh

Last edited:

Lili

His work and words are enchanting, I adore travel stories. But, IMHO, many of the images, save the outdoor one with the shallow DOF could well have been shot with a decent small sensor camera such as a S90 or F200EXR will far less weight and size footprint. At least in web viewing
An Oly e410 and Pancake could have done quite well too
Just my two cents

slau

I would like to put things in prospective by looking at the spec of G1 & GF1 bodies (source: B&H website):

G1: 13.6 oz; 4.9"X3.3"X1.8"
GF1: 10.5 oz; 4.69"X2.8"X1.43"

I doubt that any average people can tell the difference of 3.1 oz in real world shooting environment, without holding both cameras side-by-side. Size wise, one can easily put a G1 + 20f1.7 in the pocket of a photo vest or parka. For his type of shooting, he probably will do better with the G1's EVF which will allow him to shoot at any angle or height. A stranger who unexpectedly walk into those kind of environment will draw enough attention, whether he carries a G1 or GF1.

If I were him, I would carry a GH1 instead. Just personal preference, of course :).