The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Screw Mount to Micro Four Thirds?

Mike Woods

Hi

A very quick question if I may. I'm interested in getting an Ultron 35mm f1.7 for my E-P1. I understand this is a Leica Screw Mount, and simply need to know what adapter I need to mount directly to my E-P1.

I think in the 'early days' you would have needed two adapters to do this, but I'm hoping a single adapter is now available which will do the trick?

Many thanks in anticipation.....

Mike

JBurnett

Several companies sell these on eBay. I`ve had good luck with adapters from JinFinance (RJ), and he makes a LTM to m4/3 adapter. Do a search on M39 and G1.

laptoprob

Both RJ and Hawke have them. No real difference, both work fine. Some adapters have a separate inner part that can be loosened and rotated if needed. The Ultron works best if you add a baffle with a ca. Ø13mm opening at the rear of the lens. This increases corner sharpness.

Mike Woods

Well, adapter arrived and now first manual lens purchase came yesterday, a mint 35mm 1.7 Ultron.

I know there's been some debate recently about 'why' manual focus lenses on micro 4/3 but......doesn't she look pretty :D

Regards

Mike

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
It looks great. Please let us know how the corners perform...there have been instances of smearing with the 28 f/2 Voigtlander, but I use a Voigtlander 28 f/1.9 with good results.

s.agar

Cindy,

I was considering to buy the 28/2 Voigtlander, since the 28/1.9 is the discontinued model. (But it's still available).

I will use the lens with my M8, as well as M4/3.

May I have your comments about using these with the M8? Many people prefer the 28/2 but I feel from photos downloaded from internet, that 28/1.9 may be preferable.

Thanks in advance,

Seyhun

ggibson

Beautiful, Mike. That's a nice looking combo! I just purchased an adapter set for C mount + M39 + M42 that I'm looking forward to using. Post some photos with it when you get a chance!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cindy,

I was considering to buy the 28/2 Voigtlander, since the 28/1.9 is the discontinued model. (But it's still available).

I will use the lens with my M8, as well as M4/3.

May I have your comments about using these with the M8? Many people prefer the 28/2 but I feel from photos downloaded from internet, that 28/1.9 may be preferable.

Thanks in advance,

Seyhun
Seyhun,
The Leica 28 f/2 is the gold standard. I had it in the past, but now I have the 28 f/1.9 Voigtlander and the 35 f/2 Leica for my M8. I love the Voigtlander. Mine is very sharp and is excellent with an IR filter (no hot spots) on the M8. I have not used the Voigtlander 28 f/2. I understand that it is smaller than the 1.9, but I'm so happy with the 1.9 that I wouldn't consider switching. It works well on my G1's. It is nice to stick a G1 body and the adapter in the camera bag when I'm taking out the M8.
Maybe someone who has used both Voigtlander 28's will post.

Photomorgana

Seyhun,
The Leica 28 f/2 is the gold standard. I had it in the past, but now I have the 28 f/1.9 Voigtlander and the 35 f/2 Leica for my M8. I love the Voigtlander. Mine is very sharp and is excellent with an IR filter (no hot spots) on the M8. I have not used the Voigtlander 28 f/2. I understand that it is smaller than the 1.9, but I'm so happy with the 1.9 that I wouldn't consider switching. It works well on my G1's. It is nice to stick a G1 body and the adapter in the camera bag when I'm taking out the M8.
Maybe someone who has used both Voigtlander 28's will post.

I have tried both Voigtlander 28mm lenses and I can assure you that older 28mm f1.9 Asph is better performer on m4/3rd. It has less smearing, probably because the rear element is not as close to the sensor as newer 28/2.
You can still see a bit of smearing at infinity, but not bad. Get it while you can, unless you want to go with high-end cine, but those will cost you much more.

I'm not huge fan of Voigtlander overall, but they do make some excellent lenses and Lanthar 90mm f3.5 APO is one of them. (excellent for the money)