The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic should offer more kits

RichA

Because the cost of their kit lenses is astronomic! Almost $400 U.S. for the 14-45mm versus $140 for a Nikon 18-55mm VR. A two-lens kit consisting of the 14-45mm and 45-200mm would be good, with the same kind of price incentives as the 20mm which is something like $150 less when bought as a kit. Even a three lens kit with the two zooms and the 20mm prime would be great.
Right now, Olympus is offering the 70-300mm zoom for only $230 when their rebate is factored in. Considering the quality of that lens, it's like giving it away.

photoSmart42

Good point, but I think your numbers are a bit off. You can get a new 14-45mm for $250-300 max, and the 45-200mm for $200-250. The prices on the 20mm are starting to come down as well, and you can get them for about $350 now. I wouldn't consider $400 for a good quality lens 'astronomic' in any event. Even good quality used lenses go for more than that. If you can't afford them right now, wait a bit and you'll be able to get some on the used market for less.

Considering demand, there's zero reason for Panasonic to offer any additional incentives on their new products, including the GF1, 20mm, 45mm, and 7-14 lenses. It's the price you pay for being an early adopter, and for getting quality products. Given all the reviews, it sure seems like the Pana lenses are better than the Oly ones, so it's a bit unfair I think to simply compare lenses based on their focal distance range. Basically you get what you pay for - better quality and early access to new products.

W

wonderer

There is certainly a case for having a body-only option available. I am not sure why doesn't panasonic do that. Specially for GH1 with its expensive 'kit lens'. Whenever I talk to someone about GH1 the first reaction that I get is "panasonic must be out of their mind to price that camera at $1300-1400". Eventually after explaining they realize that a large part of the cost is in the lens, but the price still remains a mental barrier towards adopting that camera.

Similarly if someone already has some m4/3 lenses and wants to buy only a GF1 body or a G1 body, why not let them do that. Panasonic should make it easier for people to get into the system.

Ok end of bashing :)

Terry

It was announced today that the GH1 would be available body only starting early Januarly in the UK. I suspect we might start to see it spread.

I agree, body only options should be available. That being said, buying the kit and selling off either the body or lens really hasn't been a problem. The bodies and lenses sell on the forum pretty quickly.

arashm

It was announced today that the GH1 would be available body only starting early Januarly in the UK. I suspect we might start to see it spread.
wow that's excellent news if it makes it to North America
I do want a GH1 body but not the lens it comes with.
am