The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter

Rawfa

I'm cheking out some 4/3 lenses that I would like to use on my E-P1 and I've seen several adapters that allow for AF/metering/etc compatibility between 4/3 and micro 4/3. The least expensive one being the Panasonic DMW-MA1. Is there another less expensive brand that allows this? To sum up I'd like to be able to use Oly 40-150mm and the 50mm f2.0 on the E-P1 and I want them to be able to AF/meter/etc.

Diane B

There are 2--the MA-1 by Panasonic and the Oly one whose model number I don't know. They are, for all intents and purposes, identical and only different in appearances/color. I understand the MA-1 is the least expensive--its the one I own but both will work identically on the Panasonic and Olympus bodies.

Check here for compatibility--some lenses only work as you want on the EP-1/2.
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/g1.html

Rawfa

Thanks, Diane. what is your experience with these adapters? What is the AF performance like?

Diane B

I only use the MA-1 for 3 lenses---the Oly 9-18--where the AF is slower than any of the Panny lenses but I knew that (and not particularly annoyingly slow--but a bit noisy--actually 'buzzy' like the Canon 35/2)--and its fine on a WA zoom for me; the Konica 40 f/1.8 (MF lens); and the 4/3rd mount Lensbaby Composer--MF lens also. I haven't bought any other Oly lens that requires the adaptor. I don't think the AF is dependent upon the adaptor--but rather the compatibility with the Panasonic m4/3rds bodies. IF I'm wrong, someone else can correct me.

Diane