The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Boxing day sales

Ron Evers

My wife wanted no part of it but I went out & to my surprise half the stores I went to were closed. The open ones were not busy. I did get a deal in a camera shop in Barrie that is going out of business. I purchased a NEW Vivitar 28mm f2.8 wide angle lens for $40 that was sticker priced @ $199.99. I was the only customer in the store. When I got home I checked e-bay & see the same lens USED for $99. The news tonight showed massive crowds lined up for sales in Toronto. :)

Tullio

You've managed to get a very good lens for an excellent price. I recently bought one on eBay for $75 (haven't received it yet). Two weeks ago, I bid $120 on a similar auction and believe it or not, I was outbid. The lens sold for $124. That was a Pentax K mount, which I preferred because I already have the Pentax to m4/3 adapter. However, the one I ended up buying is a Canon FD mount (adapter is also on its way). I figured that would not be a bad way to go since there are an infinite number of good FD lenses selling for peanuts while the original Pentax lenses tend to be much more expensive.

Ron Evers

This lens is a Minolta mount & I have a Pentax adapter "in the mail". This lens has a huge DOF & will focus down to about 6". Here is the first pic with this lens shot @ about 6" @ f22 on G1 body with Minolta adapter. It was shot with auto WB & there is no blue colour cast that I get with my 4 Minolta lenses.

Tullio

Very nice shot! And yes, the white is indeed very white. How does this lens perform if not shooting macro? I can't wait to get my hands on mine.

Ron Evers

Very nice shot! And yes, the white is indeed very white. How does this lens perform if not shooting macro? I can't wait to get my hands on mine.
Hi again,

It is a dull grey day here & nothing to inspire me to shoot outdoors, so here is an inside shot for you. The light is from a window behind & to my left & the far wall is about 32' from me/camera to give you some perspective. The focus is on the blanket on the chair-back about 18' from me.

Auto WB, ISO 400, t 1/60, f 2.8 (wide open). Shot in RAW with no noise reduction applied.

As you can see there is a very deep field in near focus. This lens looks promising for indoor shooting.

Tullio

Thanks for taking the time in taking and posting the shot, Ron. It looks like the camera meters real well through this lens and as you mentioned, it may be a good indoor performer.