The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cleaning m43 sensor (G1)

JerryMK

Just some minutes ago I thought lets have a look at my sensor in bright sunlight. Then I thought what the hack, let's do some cleaning with the "Sensor cleaning pen" I got a while ago. I was amazed! It was like taking of a thin "soft filter". I did not think my sensor could shine more seconds before but after the cleaning it was shining blinding and thus much cleaner...

Seems the ultrasoon sensor cleaner from the camera is limited in keeping the sensor real clean.

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi Jerry, which "Sensor cleaning pen" did you use. I would like to buy one, because I have been thinking of cleaning the sensor for some time now.
greetings, Michiel

sangio

Just some minutes ago I thought lets have a look at my sensor in bright sunlight. Then I thought what the hack, let's do some cleaning with the "Sensor cleaning pen" I got a while ago. I was amazed! It was like taking of a thin "soft filter". I did not think my sensor could shine more seconds before but after the cleaning it was shining blinding and thus much cleaner...

Seems the ultrasoon sensor cleaner from the camera is limited in keeping the sensor real clean.
Hi Jerry:

It sounds like you had some sort of deposit on the sensor. Have you noticed a difference in your pictures since you cleaned it? Better contrast prehaps?

I have the sensorkear pen as well, but I'm reluctant to clean the sensor since after a year of use, with lots of lens changes, I don't have any visible dust particles on it, and I don't see any specs on the images.

regards
Santo

JerryMK

Quote Sangio: Hi Jerry: It sounds like you had some sort of deposit on the sensor. Have you noticed a difference in your pictures since you cleaned it? Better contrast prehaps?

I did had a few dust speckles before cleaning taht now are gone. As for the effect of the more brighter sensor I do not have shot any pictures yet that could prove better/different results. Tommorrow I will do some shooting to test that.

Actually on this site http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html it is told that also the Canon technicians are believed to use the SensorKlear pen.

photoSmart42

Actually on this site http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html it is told that also the Canon technicians are believed to use the SensorKlear pen.
Where did you find that? Here's what it says at the bottom about what manufacturers use:

* Canon - Blower and a Kimwipe, held by tweezers. They do not like to use fluid but when necessary they use either 90% isopropyl alcohol or a 50/50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and Windex.
* Fuji - Photographic Solutions Sensor Swabs™ and Eclipse™
* Kodak - Photographic Solutions Sensor Swabs™ and Eclipse™
* Leica - Photographic Solutions Sensor Swabs™ and Eclipse™
* Nikon - A commercial grade lens tissue wrapped around a chopstick style piece of wood with medical grade methanol. Several forums have posts where readers have been to Nikon Service outside the USA and reported seeing the technicians using Sensors Swabs and Eclipse.
* Olympus - A Kimwipe held by tweezers and Olympus Proprietary Solution (dries quickly without streaks and is bio-degradable).
* Pentax - A special lint free cloth (provided from Japan) folded into a small square and held with a pair of tweezers as a swab moistened with a freon derivative.
* Sigma - Uses a special vacuum cleaner that was provided by Japan.
* Sony - Uses Sensor Swabs™ and Eclipse™ by Photographic Solutions.
Maybe he has contradictory information on the site. I'm happy to use the Sensor Swabs and Eclipse to clean the sensor if there's stuff left behind by the in-camera sensor cleaning. It's not something where I personally want to take a chance that it'll ruin the sensor.

JerryMK

Hi Photosmart42, in the section/chapter Methods it says:

"LensPen/DigiKlear™ - This technique has been seen being used by Canon Techs, although it isn't their official policy. Due to the fact that the LensPen can't be cleaned, it should be disposed of and replaced on a regular basis."

But agree with you, Care is the most important to take in mind while using.

JerryMK

Hi Photosmart42, in the section/chapter Methods it says:

"LensPen/DigiKlear™ - This technique has been seen being used by Canon Techs, although it isn't their official policy. Due to the fact that the LensPen can't be cleaned, it should be disposed of and replaced on a regular basis.".
But I do agree with you, Care is the most important to take in mind while using