The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Vote for your favourite micro 4/3rds camera!

Which is your favourite micro four thirds camera?

• Total voters

vincechu

Hi everyone, this is just for fun and also because I thought it'd be interesting to see everyone's different views, especially those who own a more than one M4/3rd camera:

Which is your favourite micro four thirds camera?

Perhaps in your post you can write why it's your favourite as opposed to the alternatives?

Remember just for fun ;) (don't want it to turn into a heated arguement ;) )

*one vote per person please ;) *

Last edited:

bensonga

The Panny G1 is my favorite. I like the size (although I'd prefer a little bigger grip, extending lower), hi-res EVF (superb with my legacy manual focus lenses), flip-out LCD and the price is right (it's a bargain).

vincechu

The Panny G1 is my favorite. I like the size (although I'd prefer a little bigger grip, extending lower), hi-res EVF (superb with my legacy manual focus lenses), flip-out LCD and the price is right (it's a bargain).
I totally agree :thumbup:

I voted for the Panasonic G1 - because I think it's the best value for money option - for the price you get a great EVF, very handy articulated screen and finally the image quality is pretty similar to the other cameras (you'd have to look very very closely to see much difference - unless you compare with the olympus Jpegs). Not to mention I love the grip on it. Lack of video doesn't really bother me as I don't make many videos anyway :)

Amin

Another vote for G1 here. Although I primarily use the GH1, I had to give it to the G1 for the amazing value.

Terry

I've owned all but the E-P2.

If I could only have one it would be the G1 but the GH1 is fine as well. I decided video isn't overly important to me although it is nice to have. The GF1 is fantastic but for all around use the articulating screen, EVF and grip of the G1/GH1 give it the edge over the GF1.

The E-P1 is a fantastic camera and the IBIS is a plus for shooting for legacy prime lenses, but I'm not wild about the firmware. The E-P2 looks to be fine but in playing with the new EVF (which is gorgeous to look through) I found the blackout between shots to be just a bit too long which was just long enough to be annoying.

Bottom line I would give up something else (like something out of my handbag collection) if my budget didn't allow for having both the G1 and GF1 bodies.

Last edited:

Diane B

I've owned all but the E-P2.

If I could only have one it would be the G1 but the GH1 is fine as well. I decided video isn't overly important to me although it is nice to have. The GF1 is fantastic but for all around use the articulating screen, EVF and grip of the G1/GH1 give it the edge over the GF1.

snip.

Bottom line I would give up something else (like something out of my handbag collection) if my budget didn't allow for having both the G1 and GF1 bodies.
I probably have to say the same. I have never shot (except for a bit at a camera store when I bought the 17 f/2.8) with the EP-1, but that would fall into the range with the GF1 for me for usability.

If I could only have 1--the G1/GH1 with no doubt--but, like Terry, I would likely give up something else to have both the G1 and GF1 (which I do have). I use both and for different purposes and reasons. When I travel in the future, I'll carry the G1, GF1, Oly 9-18 with MA-1 adaptor, 20 f1.7, 45 f/2.8, 45-200 and Lensbaby composer/WA converter. It all fits in the 'little bit smaller' Domke Classic F6 (I think that's the number). How great is that--2 bodies, covered from 9-200mm, 2 fast lenses, a 'creative' lens, filters, and necessary accessories--and all without killing my back/shoulder.

Diane

J

JJYL430

The G1 gets my vote. A very versatile unit that offers great results

Teski

I have the GF1 and GH1, and if I had to pick one to keep it'd be the GH1 for sure. I love the LCD, the EVF, and the overall feel of it. If video is of no importance, I'd pick the G1. The GF1 is incredible, but there's something about the feel and experience of the G1/GH1 that I love.

ustein

Contributing Editor
I have both G1 and GH1. Because I do video the GH1 wins hands down. Would like to have 2 GH1 to minimize switching lenses. The 7-14 could be nailed to one of the bodies :). THen the G1 is just fine as I don't see us doing that much video with the 7-14mm.

Missed too much the EVF with the E-P1 and could not stand the slow AF.

V

Vivek

G1.

The first to appear and still the best!

Besides being the most versatile of all the m4/3rds cams, it is also the cheapest.

Incredible!

RichA

I own the G1 but IMO, the GH1 is the best of the bunch, in-terms of specs, capabilities and the sensor.

bensonga

Anyway you look at it, the G1/GH1 form factor is a winner (at the moment, at least)! Seems like if you really want/need the video capability (impressive, I'll admit) the GH1 is the answer.

But dollar for dollar, for still photo purists.....it's awfully hard to beat the G1.

Regardless of your preference.....micro four thirds is a winner....and hopefully will get even better in 2010 and beyond.

Tullio

Well, the G1 is the m4/3 camera I have, so it got my vote. I see that it's ahead on the results but I'm not sure it reflects the actual reality or if it's because more people have it and, like myself, they only have the G1. I've seen some pretty amazing stuff coming from the GH1/GF1 cameras.

K

klythawk

Have the G1 and GF1, but the vote goes to the G1.

The GF1 is too slippery, should have used the same rubbery coating as G1.

T

tripper

Well I only have experience of the G1 and GF1 both of which I own and I would have to vote for the.......... G1

For a 1st attempt in a completely new system this is (imo) a tremendous effort.
The EVF and adjustable LCD make it the winner over the video and smaller form factor of the GF1.

tripper

kwalsh

While I watched m43 for a year waiting for the GF1 to come out what I actually ended up getting and loving was the G1. I wanted to replace a APS-C landscape kit and since I was going to have multiple lenses with me anyway the size advantage of the GF1 was small and in the end the EVF and especially the articulating LCD of the G1 sealed the deal. I have no interest in video and don't like superzooms, so no GH1 for me.

The amazing thing with m43 so far is that with five bodies from two manufacturers in just one year each one is a "distinct" favorite to a particular user. Perhaps the EP-2 supplanting the EP-1 I guess. But anyway, for a brand new market to have so many body choices that are all winners is amazing. Now build more lenses!!!

Ken

vincechu

Have the G1 and GF1, but the vote goes to the G1.

The GF1 is too slippery, should have used the same rubbery coating as G1.
Totally agree with you John, I went to try a GF1 out but it just didnt feel right, I really missed the G1 grip, so i decided to cancel the order for a white gf1 from hong kong, planning to get the 20mm lens in the future tho :)

I hope so. Has a lot of potential.
I totally agree, there's many rumours about new m 4/3rds cameras coming out, and they'll be more lenses coming out as layed out in Olympus' and Pansonic's "lens roadmaps", I hope that other companies such as Tamron and Sigma will start developing m 4/3rds lenses, as they would probably be much cheaper than Olympus' or Pansonic's.

cmcmillan

I voted for the GF1. I do agree with am that part of the magic is the 20mm lens. Having such a small, good low light camera in your pocket is really handy. I finally bought mine just after Christmas.

I did demo a G1 and the kit lens when it first came out. I wanted to wait to see how the lens lineup would mature before jumping in. I am probably going to end up getting a GH1 body for use for some video work from time to time.

Chris