The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Vote for your favourite micro 4/3rds camera!

Which is your favourite micro four thirds camera?

• Total voters

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I voted G1. I had all the compacts including the LX-3 and both the DP-1 and 2, and the GX-100.

The GF-1 looks the goods, but with the zoom, the form factor is similar to the G1, and so the G1's grip is no disadvantage, size-wise, and certainly makes the camera easier to hold. This is much more important with Alt. lenses, or the 45-200 zoom. The swivel finder's a big plus, and the EVF is really very good. I tend to use the EVF the most.

The GF-1 was a camera I wanted to love, but even with the 20/1.7 was not a pocketable rig, for me. The S90 with the Franiec grip is.

Vivek's right, as far as I'm concerned: the G1 was the first, and is the best, IMHO.

iiiNelson

G1 is the best overall and I'm hoping that a G2is announced or released so I can have my G1 IR converted without reservation. GF1 is very good but it has its limitations. The Olympus RAW output traditionally doesn't impress me as much as the Panasonic 4/3 line. The EP1/EP2 seems to be improved a lot and if I wasn't as comfortable as I am with Panasonic cameras then I'd recommend them.

greypilgrim

I also voted for the G1 but agree that it is somewhat unfair as it is the camera I have.

I certainly agree with the sentiment that for a first model, Panasonic sure did a lot right. The EVF and its ability to manual focus is a gem. And the swivel screen...

Doug

Amin

The E-P2 looks to be fine but in playing with the new EVF (which is gorgeous to look through) I found the blackout between shots to be just a bit too long which was just long enough to be annoying.
Terry, is the blackout time longer on the E-P2 than on the G1?

Terry

Terry, is the blackout time longer on the E-P2 than on the G1?
I only had the GF1 with me to compare and it was definitely longer than the GF1. The only reason I compared it to the GF1 was because it felt uncomfortably long to me so I took out the GF1 to see if the long blackout was real or imaginary. To me it was real. We can wait and see what the reviewers have to say I haven't seen any stats yet.

Diane B

Bottom line I would give up something else (like something out of my handbag collection) if my budget didn't allow for having both the G1 and GF1 bodies.

:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL: I just realized that you said--'out of my handbag collection'.

Amin

I only had the GF1 with me to compare and it was definitely longer than the GF1. The only reason I compared it to the GF1 was because it felt uncomfortably long to me so I took out the GF1 to see if the long blackout was real or imaginary. To me it was real. We can wait and see what the reviewers have to say I haven't seen any stats yet.
Interesting, thanks!

retow

The best is the G1, for reasons already posted by several others (don't care for video). Quite a remarkable achievement by Panasonic, particularly under consideration that it was first of breed
My favorite the EP2, though. The mfts' are my casual/lazy solutions and should allow to minimize digital darkroom time. So the excellent jpegs (like the Oly colors), IBIS, very good EVF, form factor and looks make the EP2 my favorite. IBIS, superior EVF and better "grip", make it preferable over the GF1 for legacy and bulkier/longer lenses. Went from G1, a keeper, to EP1, to GF1 and eventually to EP2. EP1 and GF1 will be sold.

photoSmart42

I voted for the GH1 because that's my newest camera. I could have also voted for the G1 because it's the first camera I used (my wife's camera) in this format. In my mind those two cameras are interchangeable.

I had a chance to buy the GF1/EP2 instead of the GH1 as a second camera, but to be honest aside from the 'cool' factor those cameras didn't make sense to me. Size isn't really much of a factor because I can comfortably fit the G1/GH1 when fitted with the 20/1.7 in many of the same places where I could fit a GF1 with a 20. Moreover, the main reason for having gone the G1/GH1 route a year ago instead of any of the other DSLRs on the market was the articulating LCD, which isn't there with the smaller GF1/EP2s. Throw in losing the EVF, and you're back to a P&S. I feel that with the GF1/EP2, the moment you go away from using small, compact lenses like the 20/1.7 etc., you lose not only the 'cool' factor, but also much of the utility of having the larger camera. So if you only have one compact lens, you end up with a single-lens camera, thus back to a P&S. There are plenty of P&S cameras out there that offer as good or better performance as the GF1/EP2.

I think I'll have the G1/GH1 for a long time, although at some point it may get relegated to a second/backup camera. It's a work horse of a camera, a pleasure to handle and to shoot, lots of utility, decent all-around photo quality, interchangeable lenses, and great video.

Brian Mosley

I have the G1 and E-P1, having previously used Olympus DSLRs and having a decent collection of 4/3rds lenses the E-P1 was more familiar to me... I much prefer the LCD as a framing device (if not a focusing device) for low key, inconspicuous shooting.

So, my personal choice is the E-P1, but the G1 is currently the very best value for money... especially if this is not a complement to your existing DSLR.

Cheers

Brian

vincechu

Wow looks like Panasonic cameras are wiping the floor with the Olympus ones, I'm guessing a lot of people are put off by the lack of flash and viewfinder?

Godfrey

Quite happy with the G1.

All the others are good too, but I haven't found a significant advantage in buying another body yet.

iiiNelson

Wow looks like Panasonic cameras are wiping the floor with the Olympus ones, I'm guessing a lot of people are put off by the lack of flash and viewfinder?
I wouldn't go that far. I think it's personal choice mostly. For me I was familiar with Panasonic menus, options, and prefer the RAW output on it. I also prefer the higher resolution screens on the camera. If JPEG were a factor or if I already had Olympus lenses then I'd probably go Olympus but that's not the case for me. I started into 4/3 once the Micro 4/3 bodies came about and Olympus took a while for the EP-1 to be released.

Choice is good and there's no right or wrong. Only what's best for you. That said I prefer Lightroom 2 and Nik Software plug-ins for most PP. Some despise both.

retow

I interprete it differently. EP1 and EP2 are competing with GF1 and there it's a draw. But there is simply no Oly competition to the G1/GH1.

vincechu

I interprete it differently. EP1 and EP2 are competing with GF1 and there it's a draw. But there is simply no Oly competition to the G1/GH1.
Never thought of it that way :p but now you've said that I totally agree. Very good point there, now that i think of it I guess the EP1 and EP2 and GF1 are aimed at a different market to the G1/GH1, mayb those moving up from compacts or more style concious?

On a different note, I expect olympus to bring out a camera to compete with the G1/GH1 this year, and I'd love for it to look like this:

http://43rumors.com/new-microfourthirds-camera-in-the-first-half-of-2010/

(i know its a fake ;-) )

Terry

However if you read the posts many of the G1/GH1 votes are made by those who also own a GF1 (me for one). Most have said if they had to chose between the two different styles they would stick with the G1/GH1....These same people chose the GF1 over the E-P1/2 in their "compact body" buying decision. So for me, it is really hard to use the poll for any definitive answers. The comments about how people made their choice are more interesting. The poll just invited the commentary.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
However if you read the posts many of the G1/GH1 votes are made by those who also own a GF1 (me for one). Most have said if they had to chose between the two different styles they would stick with the G1/GH1....These same people chose the GF1 over the E-P1/2 in their "compact body" buying decision. So for me, it is really hard to use the poll for any definitive answers. The comments about how people made their choice are more interesting. The poll just invited the commentary.

+1 Totally agree.

Audii-Dudii

It's the GF1 for me (actually, a pair of them), as I find the G1 ungainly to hold with my large(-ish) hands and fugly to the point of actually being an annoyance every time I use mine. Of course, there are times when the swivel LCD and EVF come in handy, so I've held onto to it regardless. I also have an E-P1 and have no great love for it, either, and likewise would have parted with it by now except that the in-camera stabilization and better IQ of its .jpgs comes in handy at times.

apicius9

The G1 made me 're-discover' photography and is a great value IMHO. But I am very happy that I could just upgrade to the GH1 body (thanks again T.), just having the option of taking video and having the slightly larger sensor made it worth it for me. But I would never have paid the full price for a new GH1 set. I was planning on selling the G1 body now, but I am not 100% sure, yet, somehow it seems worth more than what I can get for it... For some reason, the smaller ones never had much appeal for me. For a moment, I was thinking about getting a GF1 as a companion for the GH1 but I have an LX3 that does everything I need in a more compact camera. Except that I keep trying to look through the EVF on the LX3...

Stefan

Jonas

I bought the G1 when it became available. I bought it for the viewfinder, the live view and the lens mount. The articulating LCD came with the design and has made some pictures more convenient to take. 95% or so of the time I have it turned towards the back of the camera; I use the viewfinder.

For me there hasn't been any reason to up- or sidegrade. The cameras have their pros and cons. For the future I hope for a more rugged body with better ergonomics.

I voted G1. The first, the "cheapest" and just as good, worse and better as the other models.