The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Vote for your favourite Micro 4/3rds lens!

Which is your favourite micro four thirds lens?

• Total voters

vincechu

The 20mm f/1.7 lens.....but I would love to try/own the 7-14mm lens!
7-14mm. I don't own it (YET) but it's the next big purchase on my camera "TO BUY" list. Of the stuff I do own I would say that 20mm has best optical quality. The 45mm is unique and excellent in it's own right. the 14-45mm kit lens is the most versative and a good all around lens to have for most situations.
Recently purchased the 14-140mm Panasonic because I'm new to photography and I thought an "all rounder" lense would be a great place to start, but I have to admit I really want the 7-14mm, but it's too expensive :( So the 20mm f/1.7 lens is next on my to buy list.

On the subject of lenses, today I saw these 2 links, both about future lense developments + releases:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&thread=33872674

http://43rumors.com/ft4-the-future-microfourthirds-lens-list-olympus-is-going-to-produce-a-new-20mm-f1-7-lens/

And have to admit that I'm really interested in the Panasonic 8mm fish eye, although I expect it'll be really expensive, probably only cheaper than the 7-14mm :( guess i'll have to sticking to photoshop for fisheye for the time being lol, having said that does anyone know of any good fish eye convertor/filters or not too pricey but good fish eye lenses? :confused:

Godfrey

Although I have 13 lenses I can use on my G1, I only own one Micro-FourThirds lens. Does that make it my favorite?

iiiNelson

I hope the rumor isn't true that Olympus is makig their own 20mm/ That seems counterproductive in advancing the format and like a waste of development. I'd would prefer that they concentrate on the gaps in the lineup before making various versions of existing focal lengths. A better idea would be to make a 35/2 or 55/2 for micro 4/3 mounts.

M

maxpiz

I voted for the 20mm Lumix. It is the lens that made me rediscover the pleasure of photography of the past!:)

Brian Mosley

Without a doubt, the 20mm f1.7... m4/3rds is a very new standard, and we can bet that Sony, Canon and probably Nikon will all have MILF offerings in the next couple of years... so I like the fact that the 20mm f1.7 and mZD 14-42 lenses, along with my 4/3rds and fast legacy prime lenses cover my needs extremely well.

In other words, it's a conservative spend system with huge potential to make Photography more serious and more fun at the same time!

Of course, as the competition hots up - I'm hoping that the Lumix 7-14 drops in price to the casual purchase it would be for me...

Cheers

Brian

M

Mingjai

20mm Lumix for me too. It rarely leaves the camera and never leaves the basic kit. I've found it provides a great angle of view while still allowing for control over depth of field.

Other lenses in the basic kit are ZD 9-18 and a choice of FD 50/1.4 or Hexanon AR 40/1.8. If the 40/1.8 is in the kit, then the ZD 25/2.8 comes along too as it offers a different angle of view vis-a-vis the 20mm Lumix while taking up no more space.

jonoslack

HI Everyone
Well, I've voted for the 45mm panaleica. For me, this is what I use most often, and it's a lovely lens with grand bokeh, something that's rather been missing from other 4/3 lenses.

Diane B

HI Everyone
Well, I've voted for the 45mm panaleica. For me, this is what I use most often, and it's a lovely lens with grand bokeh, something that's rather been missing from other 4/3 lenses.
Interesting that you say that. I just got mine yesterday--and while I don't have a long term usage to make a judgement, I'm now wondering if it won't end up being my favorite after all. Today and yesterday afternoon I've been shooting a lot of just 'close to home' subjects trying to use it for a variety. It could edge out the 20--don't know yet, but I do know that it will always be in my bag--likely on my camera.

The FOV isn't one I used a lot (85-90) with FF--so that surprised me a bit, but I've been shooting quite a lot with my 40 f/1.8 MF and always carry it or similar with my 20. Shooting m4/3rds, for some reason, has changed my choice of FOV a bit.

I concur with you--lovely lens.

Diane

Godfrey

Interesting that you say that. I just got mine yesterday--and while I don't have a long term usage to make a judgement, I'm now wondering if it won't end up being my favorite after all. Today and yesterday afternoon I've been shooting a lot of just 'close to home' subjects trying to use it for a variety. It could edge out the 20--don't know yet, but I do know that it will always be in my bag--likely on my camera.

The FOV isn't one I used a lot (85-90) with FF--so that surprised me a bit, but I've been shooting quite a lot with my 40 f/1.8 MF and always carry it or similar with my 20. Shooting m4/3rds, for some reason, has changed my choice of FOV a bit.

I concur with you--lovely lens.
Ah hah! I see you've caved. ];-)

Yes, the ME45/2.8 is a superb piece. I loved using it when Terry brought her's around for me to try.

It's on my very very short list of "photo equipment stuff I would like to acquire". The fact that I already have the Konica 40/1.8 is what put it a notch lower in priority than getting the ZD 50/2 for my SLR bodies, so that one's on the way and the ME45 will wait for the next round of equipment acquisitions.

Happily I'm in no hurry at all. My equipment kit is so nearly complete and satisfying that I find little need to obsess over what new stuff might be useful.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
I hope the rumor isn't true that Olympus is makig their own 20mm/ That seems counterproductive in advancing the format and like a waste of development. I'd would prefer that they concentrate on the gaps in the lineup before making various versions of existing focal lengths. A better idea would be to make a 35/2 or 55/2 for micro 4/3 mounts.
The fact that the Olympus lenses have only received 7 votes (so far) out of a total 94 suggests that the technically sophisticated users this forum attracts have overwhelmingly rejected the Olympus offerings. Am I being unfair, when there are only two Olympus lenses to vote for (against six Panasonic lenses)? Let's then compare those two Olympus lenses against their Panasonic rivals:

Olympus 14-42 f3.5-5.6: 1 vote
Panasonic 14-45 f3.5-5.6: 11 votes

Olympus 17mm f2.8: 6 votes
Panasonic 20mm f1.7: 54 votes

The favorite m4/3rds camera poll, while not as humiliating for Olympus, shows a strong preference for Panasonic cameras:

Olympus EP-1 and EP-2: 21 votes
Pansonic G1, GH1, and GF1: 91 votes

The rumored Olympus 20mm lens is hardly a surprise since the Olympus lens road map essentially duplicates the lenses that Panasonic had already promised. The Olympus m4/3rds design and engineering teams have neither courage nor imagination -- rather they are a disgrace to the proud Olympus heritage. Let's hope that Samsung turns out to be a worthier competitor for Panasonic.

Brian Mosley

Well, I just heard a rumour that it's not a 20mm lens, but a 12mm lens due from Olympus - waiting for confirmation, but that would be far more interesting to me than another 14mm lens.

As for brand superiority, one of the things that attracted me to GetDPI in the first place was the lack of brand bashing... hoping that will continue as I've been recommending the forum as an oasis of Photography related chat, rather than brand championship.

Of course, as the forum grows, that may change, but I hope not.

Cheers

Brian

Jonas

Well, I just heard a rumour that it's not a 20mm lens, but a 12mm lens due from Olympus - waiting for confirmation, but that would be far more interesting to me than another 14mm lens.
A 12mm? That would be great. Now rumors are rumors but here is hope.

V

Vivek

The fact that the Olympus lenses have only received 7 votes (so far) out of a total 94 suggests that the technically sophisticated users this forum attracts have overwhelmingly rejected the Olympus offerings.

This poll is skewed and unreliable. There is an average of >100 visitors to this forum on any given day and only 94 votes?:bugeyes:

The 17/2.8 is technically the most sophisticated of all the m4/3rds AF primes.

I will take the rumored 12mm Oly lens over the 14mm Pana. Thanks.

vincechu

The fact that the Olympus lenses have only received 7 votes (so far) out of a total 94 suggests that the technically sophisticated users this forum attracts have overwhelmingly rejected the Olympus offerings. Am I being unfair, when there are only two Olympus lenses to vote for (against six Panasonic lenses)? Let's then compare those two Olympus lenses against their Panasonic rivals:

Olympus 14-42 f3.5-5.6: 1 vote
Panasonic 14-45 f3.5-5.6: 11 votes

Olympus 17mm f2.8: 6 votes
Panasonic 20mm f1.7: 54 votes

The favorite m4/3rds camera poll, while not as humiliating for Olympus, shows a strong preference for Panasonic cameras:

Olympus EP-1 and EP-2: 21 votes
Pansonic G1, GH1, and GF1: 91 votes

The rumored Olympus 20mm lens is hardly a surprise since the Olympus lens road map essentially duplicates the lenses that Panasonic had already promised. The Olympus m4/3rds design and engineering teams have neither courage nor imagination -- rather they are a disgrace to the proud Olympus heritage. Let's hope that Samsung turns out to be a worthier competitor for Panasonic.
Thats abit harsh... although thats what i thought at first too :p and guess i still do ;) however in my other poll (Vote for your favourite micro 4/3rds lens), I said this in the other poll:

Wow looks like Panasonic cameras are wiping the floor with the Olympus ones...
But then after reading these 2 replies, I wasnt so sure,

I interprete it differently. EP1 and EP2 are competing with GF1 and there it's a draw. But there is simply no Oly competition to the G1/GH1.
The EP1+2 have now overtaken the GF1 - its 21 to 18 respectively now. What retow said is interesting because it perhaps suggests that Oly and Pan. are targetting different markets?

However if you read the posts many of the G1/GH1 votes are made by those who also own a GF1 (me for one). Most have said if they had to chose between the two different styles they would stick with the G1/GH1....These same people chose the GF1 over the E-P1/2 in their "compact body" buying decision. So for me, it is really hard to use the poll for any definitive answers. The comments about how people made their choice are more interesting. The poll just invited the commentary.
What do you think now? These 2 replies really made me think differently, in fact I kind of agree with what you said and these 2 replies all together, although I'm not sure how to explain why :confused:

In anycase I think these poll results and the reasons behind peoples choice are most interesting, and the peoples choice part is the main reason i started them.

A final thought:
These polls show peoples favorite camera and lens but what would polls asking people which ones they actually purchased/owned say? Perhaps it would be a different story? :confused: ;)

vincechu

This poll is skewed and unreliable. There is an average of >100 visitors to this forum on any given day and only 94 votes?:bugeyes: .
I totally agree, remember both my polls ask for your "favourite" so the results are going to be subject to peoples opinions and biases anyway, however the main reason I started them was to find out why people picked certain cameras/lenses as favourites over others :)

V

Vivek

I don't know lens design. What is it about the lens that makes it more sophisticated?
I know very little of anything.

What I posted here (this forum) thus far on the Oly-D 17/2.8:

1. Ease of AF (at least my sample- nothing has been done to it apart from a cosmetic paint job that makes it look ugly). The rear of the lens gives a clue as to why this is so.

2. Restricted aperture making it f/2.8 while the lens actually may be f/2 or f/1.8 without it.

3. Close focus distance is easily increased (or decreased as some may read it) to 10cm without any modifications. It can even be as close as 4cm.

4. Ease of conversion to a decent 12.75mm wide with a Ricoh GW-1 0.75X converter.

5. Non fluorescing lens: helps with avoiding unpredictable flares and with accurate metering. At higher elevations (higher UV levels) a fluorescent lens will not meter correctly and it will be inconsistent depending on the levels of UV.

In addition it really is an f/2.8 lens. Some lenses may be f/1.8 but would claim to be f/1.7.

That, in my layman's opinion, makes the Oly-D 17/2.8 sophisticated.

Jonas

That list gives the word sophisticated a new meaning. (Maybe in Swedish only - language is another of my weak points.)

1: I think a lens with a good focusing scale and well damped ring is sophisticated
2: A lens possible to open up is somehow more enticing than a resticted one
3: A macro is a macro, the rest of it is about emergency solutions
4: It's cool with a 12.75mm lens - good thinking by the Olympus engineers, or another accident?
5: High UV levels causing that kind of radiation makes me long for oxygen, or a UV filter, or the IR radiation from a bonfire.

In addition I would take an f/1.8 lens any day over an f/2.8, or even a T2.8 one

Really, a lens with sky high CA, never getting critically sharp, lacking a focusing scale and at the same time being a 35mm equivalent to a 35/5.6 doesn't make me think of "sophisticated" at all. The only µ4/3 lenses until now that come close may be Panasonic 7-14mm zoom and the Panasonic 45/2.8 Macro.

For the 12mm or 14mm discussion I'm planning to buy the 12mm - be it an Olympus or a Panasonic. That is unless Olympus screws it up as they did with the 17mm.

Lol. I like this - people are very different and it would be nice to meet IRL and discuss lenses and other things over a beer some day.

Vivek - do I recall it right when thinking the Pen FT 42/1.2 can be made to open up to something closer to f/1? Is that correct, and if so, is it an easy operation with no strange side effects?

regards,

/Jonas

monza

This poll is skewed and unreliable.
I suppose as are all internet polls. :)

This is a Panasonic-centric forum for the most part.

I'm not interested in a 14mm f/2.8 Panasonic lens, it doesn't offer any real advantage over the 14mm f/3.5 kit lens except for size and slightly more speed. I agree with other posts---12mm is a different story. :)

V

Vivek

That list gives the word sophisticated a new meaning. (Maybe in Swedish only - language is another of my weak points.)
May be so. Many of your rest of the post reflect that, I would hope.

Really, a lens with sky high CA, never getting critically sharp, lacking a focusing scale and at the same time being a 35mm equivalent to a 35/5.6 doesn't make me think of "sophisticated" at all.
I do not have to meter for f/5.6 while I am using the 17/2.8 wide open. :confused:

Vivek - do I recall it right when thinking the Pen FT 42/1.2 can be made to open up to something closer to f/1? Is that correct,..
Incorrect, Jonas, I am afraid.