The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Vote for your favourite Micro 4/3rds lens!

Which is your favourite micro four thirds lens?

• Total voters

Godfrey

The poll is skewed? relative to what? A poll is a poll. X number of people participate, when done results are tallied: it describes something about the people who participated and the question being asked. How much inference value it might have that might be generalized to describe other people is up in the air without more supporting information and context to work with.

The discussion of the poll, the discussion of the term "sophisticated lens", etc ... yes, these discussions are skew. And suggest brand loyalties are at play. The constant "my thing is better than your thing" and "I like this one more so it must be better" stuff which pervades all equipment discussion really does get very tiresome.

V

Vivek

And suggest brand loyalties are at play. The constant "my thing is better than your thing" and "I like this one more so it must be better" stuff which pervades all equipment discussion really does get very tiresome.

:ROTFL:

My Oly-D 17/2.8 on a Pana G1 is better than my Pana 20/1.7 on anything.

This might make you feel a bit less tired, Godfrey.:ROTFL:

photoSmart42

This poll is skewed and unreliable. There is an average of >100 visitors to this forum on any given day and only 94 votes?:bugeyes:
I don't really think the poll is skewed and unreliable - it's just a poll after all, and people will respond however they want and feel. I do think given that the poll is unscientific it's not something that can be used to draw much meaning from it like some are trying to do.

Personally I think it's at best an assessment of what different lenses people have. I'm guessing most people don't have both the Pana and the Oly lenses, since that wouldn't make a lot of sense unless you have cash to spare, or if you're a distributor. So the only conclusion someone can perhaps draw from this poll is that more of the people who responded to the poll have purchased one lens over another, for reasons which the poll cannot determine.

Diane B

Personally I think it's at best an assessment of what different lenses people have. I'm guessing most people don't have both the Pana and the Oly lenses, since that wouldn't make a lot of sense unless you have cash to spare, or if you're a distributor. So the only conclusion someone can perhaps draw from this poll is that more of the people who responded to the poll have purchased one lens over another, for reasons which the poll cannot determine.
Agreed---and I'm glad to hear about the possibility of the 12/f2.8 lens. That would be on my list. I don't really care--Oly or Panny. I own both the 17 f/2.8 and 20 f/1.7---but generally shoot with the 20 because it suits my way of shooting better. I do like the FOV of the 17 at times so haven't sold it.

If I hadn't bought the Zuiko 9-18, I might be interested in the m4/3rds 9-18 coming, but it won't gain me that much. The 9-18 I have is reasonably small even with the adaptor and I don't use a WAZ that often. Now that I have the 20 and 45--to round out my lenses a faster wide would be next on my list--and that would about complete things for me. My MF lenses fill in all the holes, both for FL and faster, so that would be about it. The only thing I'd love--but don't expect (size, weight) is a constant f/2.8 or faster (LOLOL) 14-45.

Diane

Terry

I know very little of anything.

What I posted here (this forum) thus far on the Oly-D 17/2.8:
My bad I remember these now. I'm not really a tinkerer so I'm thinking straight out of the box. Most of these modifications I wouldn't mess with.

V

Vivek

My bad I remember these now. I'm not really a tinkerer so I'm thinking straight out of the box. Most of these modifications I wouldn't mess with.

Me neither as all m4/3rds lenses are housed in fragile plastic (cf: Lens Manual/Instructions of Panassonic 20/1.7, for example) to do any messing about.

I did not say that I modified anything.

Without any messing about, the 20/1.7 fluoresces on its own as well.

V

Vivek

What makes me tired, in your case, is your constant use of the idiotic motion emoticons.

IME, don't look at them if they tire you just as I do not look at some of the stuff you post. ;):D

:ROTFL::ROTFL:

monza

I'm in the minority here, I tried the 20mm and thought it was a wonderful lens, but ultimately decided to pass on it. I find that if I need autofocus I'll use the kit lens, if I need speed I'll use an adapted lens. :)

V

Vivek

Hey, :argue: leave our emoticons alone! it's a top feature of this forum...

:thumbs:

Cheers

Brian

:D

is better than LOL, IMHO, or a feeble ;-) some post.

I agree it is a great feature of the forum.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

V

Vivek

I'm in the minority here, I tried the 20mm and thought it was a wonderful lens, but ultimately decided to pass on it. I find that if I need autofocus I'll use the kit lens, if I need speed I'll use an adapted lens. :)
Unlike you, I decided to keep it.

It makes a superb macro lens when used reversed.:thumbs:

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Well, I just heard a rumour that it's not a 20mm lens, but a 12mm lens due from Olympus - waiting for confirmation, but that would be far more interesting to me than another 14mm lens.

As for brand superiority, one of the things that attracted me to GetDPI in the first place was the lack of brand bashing... hoping that will continue as I've been recommending the forum as an oasis of Photography related chat, rather than brand championship.

Of course, as the forum grows, that may change, but I hope not.

Cheers

Brian
Brian, I regret that my post may have suggested I was engaged in brand bashing. Had that been my intention I would certainly not have referred to the "proud Olympus heritage". Having purchased (and been consistently delighted with) six Pen F lenses in the last five months, I would hardly describe myself as an Olympus basher. Ironically, I owe a debt of gratitude to you (and also Godfrey, Vivek, and Cindy) for alerting me to the stellar quality of the Pen F lenses.

If it is a 12mm lens, Olympus deserve credit for offering an alternative (rather than a duplicate) of the already announced Panasonic 14mm offering.

My disappointment with the Olympus m4/3rds system is primarily with the lenses. I'd love to have an m4/3rds camera with body IS but find neither the EP-1 nor the EP-2 appealing. Should Olympus offer a camera with better build quality and an integrated EVF, I'd buy one in an instant (to use with my Panasonic, Pen F, Hexanon, Contax G, and Rokkor lenses).

Basically, it's my contention that conferring the "Pen" brand on the current Olympus m4/3rds system was cynical, manipulative, and an insult to the achievements and memory of Mr Maitani, whom I regard as not only a gifted designer and engineer but also a truly great artist.

This poll is skewed and unreliable. There is an average of >100 visitors to this forum on any given day and only 94 votes?

The 17/2.8 is technically the most sophisticated of all the m4/3rds AF primes.

I will take the rumored 12mm Oly lens over the 14mm Pana. Thanks.
Had the results shown an overwhelming preference for the Olympus lenses (particularly the 17/2.8), would the poll then be regarded as "skewed and unreliable"? :grin:

I'll take the 14mm Pana over the 12mm Oly but that's because 28mm-e is as wide as I care to go. Olympus also deserve praise for their 9-18mm zoom. Unfortunately, that and the 12mm prime that Brian mentioned are the only glimmers of originality in the Olympus m4/3rds lens road map for 2010:
Olympus 8mm fisheye (duplicate of previously announced Panasonic 8mm fisheye)

Olympus 9-18mm (useful alternative to current Panasonic 7-14mm)

Olympus 12mm (useful alternative to previously announced Panasonic 14mm)

Olympus 14-150mm (near duplicate of current Panasonic 14-140mm)

Olympus 50mm macro (near duplicate of current Panasonic 45mm macro)

Olympus 70-300mm (near duplicate of previously announced Panasonic 100-300mm)
So, out of six lenses on the Olympus road map, four are either near or exact duplicates of lenses that Panasonic currently offer or had already promised.

Perhaps I'm being unfair. After all, Nikon and Canon essentially duplicate each other's lens ranges. But, then again, perhaps not. Pentax -- alone amongst DSLR vendors -- offer a number of original, high quality prime lenses (31mm, 35mm macro, 40mm, 43mm, 70mm, 77mm, for example).

I guess I'm saying that I wish Olympus would zig to (rather than merely replicate) Panasonic's zag. And that they'd produce m4/3rds cameras and lenses that are genuine descendants (rather than hollow imitations) of the Pen F heritage.

V

Vivek

Had the results shown an overwhelming preference for the Olympus lenses (particularly the 17/2.8), would the poll then be regarded as "skewed and unreliable"? :grin:

No. All such polls are skewed. :deadhorse:

I would take the Olympus-D prime lenses (even if they are in the same FL range) over those from Pana.

The construction and operation of the 17/2.8 compared to the 20/1.7 has convinced me that Olympus can deliver better primes.

Brian Mosley

Brian, I regret that my post may have suggested I was engaged in brand bashing.
No worries Jonathon, we all have our preferences... let's just remember that the most technologically advanced users here mix and match bodies and lenses to get the best solution regardless of brand. In fact, that's a major strength of the m4/3rds standard - and hopefully if Fuji join the group that will become even stronger.

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

My next m4/3rds body will be a Fuji (unless they mess it up really badly) for the rumored sensor.