The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

shoot now and create later

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
English Tea Man

Original (sort of) shot with areas lightened. Textures used.

another texture and face doubled.

Final Image

Mike

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
English Tea Man

Original (sort of) shot with areas lightened. Textures used.

Mike
Saw this on the chromasia site and I think it is one of your best. Reminds me of Hockney's joiners. Have you tried to do the Hockney joiner thing digitally?

Keith

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Saw this on the chromasia site and I think it is one of your best. Reminds me of Hockney's joiners. Have you tried to do the Hockney joiner thing digitally?

Keith
No, but I did this about 15 yrs ago in my darkroom.

and this was the original Tea Man that I did about the same time. I like the new version much better.

Mike

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
No, but I did this about 15 yrs ago in my darkroom.

Mike
Mike

In the case of the original Tea Man were the component rectangles cut from the same image and pasted on? - I assume these are not individual images, as with a Hockney joiner.

I love the effect and have always thought that this technique adds a feeling of time to the picture - which is how Hockney described it.

Keith

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Mike

In the case of the original Tea Man were the component rectangles cut from the same image and pasted on? - I assume these are not individual images, as with a Hockney joiner.

I love the effect and have always thought that this technique adds a feeling of time to the picture - which is how Hockney described it.

Keith
In the original images above, I would go to the darkroom and tape about 100 pieces of paper on the wall overlapping each other a bit and then expose the image and when I took them down, I would number the back then develop them and then when dry, tape it back together.

Mike

ustein

Contributing Editor
Right now I browse through the images of the last years and new idea evolve (often surprising)

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks. For your information they are all just done with my scripts. Working on some helper scripts though.
What interested me was the subject matter and somewhat abstract quality. I think blends work best with this sort of subject and dreamy landscapes of course.

Mike

ustein

Contributing Editor
What interested me was the subject matter and somewhat abstract quality. I think blends work best with this sort of subject and dreamy landscapes of course.

Mike
Yes, it works best where it softens the literal representation. Also often some more disturbing elements in the literal picture get less annoying.

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
This was originally shot as B&W single images. I then did a Polaroid transfer of each image on to a sheet of paper. Then I added some textures.

Mike